Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Bristol Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ned, 7 Jan 2019.

1. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

2. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I don't have massive issues with rither Blackpool or Bristol's current lion enclosures - but if I were to swap Bristol's lions out I personally would pick Puma as the replacement. Size-wise they would be a better fit and not many collections in the UK have them. I am also biased as think they are quite beautiful and find them far more striking than lions.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2019
    Goura and Pertinax like this.
  3. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoos lion talk makes alot of the "fact" male lions don't do much. I think the reasoning expressed in previous posts that the enclosure would need splitting to accommodate another species means only a small cat could be kept. Although I also find pumas more interesting than lions.
    It's also worth noting that the enclosure doesn't have an awful lot of night.

4. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Given Puma's are being phased out in a lot of zoo's I can't imagine a big city zoo wanting to have them. I personally love Puma's too.

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not awfully convincing are they?
    Lion scratching tree stump is fine, but I mentioned the stump previously.
    Lion lying on rock is hardly amazing: although a nice dry spot with an elevated viewpoint is exactly what a lion likes.
    Lion enjoying food! Every lion's favourite!

Don't the lions at Bristol have more opportunities to do all these things?

6. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lovely animals, but they just don't have the conservation story behind them that the Asiatic lions do. I can't see BZG phasing them out or moving them to wild place without a seriously big draw that would fit in the space allocated, be a hit with the public, and be on message for BGZs heavy conservation focus, and I really can't think of anything else from the ABCs list.

MelissaBee888 likes this.
  7. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is surely space in front of the lion enclosure to extend? The existing path could remain but be built over as a tunnel with viewing windows either side ?

8. Ned

I've often thought this, right now there's a rather pointless maze on the land opposite the lions which, if added to their existing enclosure, would make a reasonable sized enclosure.

9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps this the time to suggest a Bristol zoo speculation thread?

10. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I could see that working, I haven't got a clue what the maze really adds to the zoo. Though I have seen kids enjoying it, and there is some really nice planting behind it near the education animals, the space would be much more useful as an enclosure for something. A large mixed species aviary with a different theme to the European wetland aviary next door would be nice.

MelissaBee888 likes this.
  11. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I completely agree - which is why I think the lions are going nowhere.

12. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The South American tapirs Tia and George will soon be leaving Bristol Zoo for Peak Wildlife Park to join the lone tapir currently there. I believe this will leave Bristol without any tapirs.

More information is included in the link below:
    Goodbye to Tia and George | Bristol Zoo

Also, three bearded pygmy chameleons have hatched in the Reptile House making seventeen total hatched over the past twelve months. These are the first new hatchings for 2019. Some young hatched at Bristol have moved to Jersey Zoo and Chester Zoo. It is also stated in this article that breeding this species will be used as experience for rearing and housing other species of chameleon such as Madagascar dwarf chameleons.

More information is included in the link below:
    Tiny trio hatch | Bristol Zoo

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It doesn't explain why they are leaving. Possibly in advance of a refurbishment or redevelopment of the 'Zona Brazil' area? Another of Bristol's very few larger mammal species leaving the collection- for good it seems.

14. Ned

The goeldi's monkey and capybara have gone. The Greenhouse closed to the public. Surely it can only mean one thing ... More flower beds.

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A couple of people have asked on their FB page if the Tapirs will be replaced(with more Tapirs) Zoo answer; 'not at this time but to watch out for exciting new arrivals in the coming months...'

charliejb likes this.
  16. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I'd be delighted if they just knocked Zona Brazil down and redeveloped. It is easily the most uninspiring part of the zoo for me.

17. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Has the lion enclosure been extended in the last five years? :D Someone previously commented that my impression of it was harsh ... I now agree. It looks twice the size length than I thought it was and no where near as dark.
    I managed to see the Kowari, jumping rats and Quoll before the lights went down in the twilight zone and only missed the Bettong after the darkness fell. Nice to see all the gorilla out for a spell during cleaning.

18. Ned

The current lion enclosure has remained unchanged in the 25 years I've known it. However, it did used to be divided with tigers in the main area and leopards in the small side enclosure next to the kea. Not sure when it went over to one enclosure for lions but certainly over 15 years ago.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  19. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Tapir's departed for Peak Wildlife Park today. Taking Bristol out of the species for the foreseeable future

Kifaru Bwana likes this.