Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Bristol Zoo news 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TNT, 16 Jan 2020.

1. charliejb

charliejb Well-Known Member

I received an email this morning from Bristol Zoo indicating they are planning to reopen on the 14 July. They’ve published a news item on their website which provides details including booking of timed entry slot tickets.

Have you heard the news? | Bristol Zoo

JamesB likes this.
  2. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks. Had a look today. Can't say the zoo seems particularly worth visiting at the moment with the nocturnal house, reptile house and other places closed. Maybe another time.

gentle lemur likes this.
  3. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just seen this article on the BBC news site - Bristol Zoo's chief executive now says he is cautiously optimistic about the future of the zoo, having previously suggested that the zoo could cut costs through staff redundancy and a reduction in the animal collection. The article makes clear that the zoo now has no intention of reducing its collection size. Although admission is being limited at 25% capacity, 98% of available tickets have sold.

Another thing of interest from the article is that at Wild Place admission numbers have remained consistent, instead of the big weather-related peaks and troughs in visitors that would normally be expected.

The article can be found below:
    Zoo 'optimistic' for future despite pandemic

Tafin, Ned, Kifaru Bwana and 5 others like this.
  4. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

Does anyone know since when Bristol keeps a male group of fur seals? And where'd the females go?

5. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's been well over five years at this point (closer to 10!), I can't remember where some of the females have moved to but I think sometime around 2012 is when Bristol's last female died for sure.

6. MennoPebesma

yeah, I already knew that it had been like this for a long time. I was just wondering if anyone knew where the females had gone or if they had died.

7. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@MennoPebesma I don’t think that the Fur Seals at Penguin and Seal coasts will be bachelor’s for long. I believe there is a high possibility that the Fur Seal’s,from the now sadly closed Living Coast’s could be moved to Bristol during the near future. Grace the eldest Fur Seal at Living Coast’s was actually born and resided at Bristol Zoo prior to the opening of Living Coast’s back in 2003.

8. MennoPebesma

Are the males from Bristol and the Females from Living coasts not related then?

I also think the studbook likes to keep two bachelor groups. There is one in Halle, Germany and this group in Bristol.

Jungle Man likes this.
  9. The Hedgehog

@MennoPebesma the only link between the Bristol Zoo and Living coast’s is Grace and her son TamarO’taris auntie and cousin as well as Tunanta O’taris cousin and her daughter Gemini. If O’tari is not at Bristol anymore all of the biological links between the two groups have gone.

10. MennoPebesma

Tamar from living coasts lives in Hamburg since 2019 and Otari from Bristol died in 2018. But all males that now live in Bristol are sons of Otari.

11. The Hedgehog

@MennoPebesma,can you please name the Fur Seal’s that resided at Living Coast’s at the time of it’s closure? I think the group was made up of Karel(M) Grace(F) Tunanta(F) and Gemini(F) am I correct?

12. MennoPebesma

for as far as i know, yes.

13. MennoPebesma

1,0 Karel, born in Rotterdam (Diergaarde Blijdorp) on 20-06-2003
    0,1 Grace, born in Bristol (Zoo) on 26-05-2001
    0,1 Tunanta, born in Torquay (Living Coasts) on 07-06-2006
    0,1 Gemini, born in Torquay (Living Coasts) on 03-06-2014

and the group in Bristol is:
    1,0 Pablo, born in Bristol (Zoo) on 29-05-2009
    1,0 Juan, born in Bristol (Zoo) on 01-06-2011
    1,0 Toro, born in Bristol (Zoo) in 2007

Tafin likes this.
  14. charliejb

15. charliejb

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Gorill baby birth is particularly good news given Kala lost her first baby last September, after a caesarian birth, the baby living for just a few days. This proves she can still give birth normally and be Bristol's 2nd new breeding female( along with Touni). Orphaned four year old 'Afia' is now the only gorilla in their group that is descended from their original breeding male 'Samson'( she is not related to Delilah) The other gorillas currently at Bristol have now all come in more recently from other zoos..

Tafin, Jungle Man and TNT like this.
  18. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax do you think that Afia and her younger half sister Ayana will remain at Bristol Zoo throughout their lives. I hope this happens as keeping the Bristol born females will naturally increase the Zoo’s family of Gorillas, as well as the breeding capacity. I think Jock should move to London Zoo to breed with Effie ,Majukku and Alika. Due to Gernot reaching the age when some male gorillas move to other locations I think that Gernot should be moved to Paignton,Longleat,Port Lyme or the zoo where some of the Port Lyme bachelors moved to a few years ago.

19. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Sorry not to have picked this up before now (19 August) - but, we found exactly the same through July, with very consistent numbers. But, the weather then was pretty consistent too.
    Now into mid-August, the heat last week and now the rain & storms (and even more so the forecasts of such, that turn out to be wrong) have meant that August, though busy has been much more 'normal'.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2020
  20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would this also be due at least partly to the pattern of many people traditionally going away from home on holiday in August, (though this year particularly many more are staying in the UK), as against July which was a mishmash of children still off school, many people still at home on furlough etc but not going away as much as in August?

Last edited: 19 Aug 2020