Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo Project Bristol zoo project news 2024

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charles, 4 Jan 2024.

1. Charles

Charles Well-Known Member

Visited today and have a few updates

A path has been reopened so visitors have access to the bird hide in webbs brake and as long as your quiet you get amazing views of the native birds

Third visit in a row where I haven’t spotted the lac alaotran lemurs which is peculiar as every other visit I’ve seen them almost every time

an even larger part of the bare foot trail bushes has been cleared I’m guessing in preparation for the new developments

2. MelissaBee888

MelissaBee888 Active Member 10+ year member

Glad they've redone the path to the hide, it was always quite nice to sit there.

Charles likes this.
  3. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I just hope Okapi will return in the not too distant, would really fit with the Gorilla development

6. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A reply from the zoo on Instagram states okapi will be part of the second phase of the exhibit (no timeline given).

Max Blundell, TriUK, JamesB and 8 others like this.
  7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really miss no Gorillas or Okapi in Bristol. They had Okapi in an unbroken line for around sixty years before the last one left the 'Wild Place' site. Of course at one stage they even shared the same house where the gorillas still are in the old Zoo. I think they intend for Okapi to return but possibly in a new enclosure?

TriUK, Kalaw, Kifaru Bwana and 3 others like this.
  8. Cat-Man

Why did the wild place go out of Okapi?

Max Blundell likes this.
  9. Pertinax

They haven't really 'gone out' of them I don't think. The last one was moved due to building works going on near the enclosure and general reorganisation. They will be back in due course it seems certain.

Rajang-GOAT, Kalaw, pipaluk and 2 others like this.
  10. Alwaysevergreen

Alwaysevergreen Well-Known Member

Kibibi was moved to Marwell in October 2021 to be paired with another male in the hope to breed again, with her Daughter already moved to Yorkshire and has subsequently had an offspring. When Kibibi left, Wild Place did state they were planning to bring in more Okapi, but the decision was made to close Bristol Zoo, and redevelop Wild Place.
    Okapi don't like noise and stress, so their return to BZP was always stated would be after a lot of the main building work had been completed, to avoid stress to any new animals.

Who knows if they would have had more earlier but for the closure of one zoo and rebuild of another, but I asked on social media this morning about when Okapi would return and I was told in phase two of the Central African Project. So can't imagine it will be any earlier then 2026/2027 for sure.

11. Cat-Man

Thanks both!

Pertinax likes this.
  12. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I see from the plans that the new red panda exhibit will be located next to the gorillas which is a change from the original plan that suggested they would be located at the entrance plaza. I also noticed that the area currently housing the giraffe and zebra will be extended to include the black rhino, whereas I thought they originally planned to build an African Savannah exhibit down in the lower fields towards the Wild Place perimeter.
    The Gorilla enclosure does look incredible though
    and is nearly 5 times larger than the current enclosure at the old Bristol zoo

Kalaw and cerperal like this.
  13. cerperal

cerperal Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware (and as much as my memory serves me) the plan has always been to extend the current area, but not necessarily for the rhinos to be in the same exhibit - just next to it. It caused some minor panic when the plans originally came out because it seemed like they would lose the eland in the process.

Rajang-GOAT and Charles like this.
  14. Charles

I think it seems like after the current eland pass away(which won’t be for a while) they will probably get a more endangered antelope species such as addax or Nile lechwe

Rajang-GOAT and cerperal like this.
  15. Charles

I think the red pandas are going next to the gorillas temporarily until the enterance plaza is built which won’t be till after the rhino paddock is built

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  16. Charles

Quite big news from my quick visit today

it looks like something is either being brought in or taken away from the walled garden today, it seemed like it was meerkats by the look of the carriers being cat carriers and that the sign had fallen down, whatever has been taken away or brought in was from or is going to paultons park

As well as this, work is starting on the Central African Forest exhibit and new ostrich exhibit as many paths have been blocked off and tree trimming has started

Lafone and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  17. Pertinax

If you include Alfred's cage, this will be the fifth enclosure built for Gorillas at Bristol Zoo/Project.

I had a look at the plans and video- it looks to be typical of other new enclosures being built for these apes nowadays and it should be very good. Like their current enclosure at the old Zoo, the very large outside is encircled by the obligitory water moat, which puts the apes at further distance from the public when they are outdoors, but is less stressful for them, and its visually more attractive than other barriers.

The indoors is equally important though as they are still bound to spend the greater % of their time in there apart from talk/feed sessions etc. At the old Zoo the square windbreak shelter was(is) quite successful in increasing the time some of them spent outside though, but from memory the location and layout of the old Wolf Wood area at the new site is more sheltered than 'Gorilla Island' at the old Zoo, so that, plus the amount of tree cover, might help also.

Bristol always build nice looking, well finished enclosures and this won't be any exception I'm sure. It costs a lot to build enclosures for Apes, far more than many other species, but my only reservation is that its very likely it won't be ready for occupancy until next year, 2025, by which time Bristol's gorilla group will have been offshow for over two years...!! However when they do finally arrive they will obviously regain their position as the No 1 animal species that many visitors come to see. It may even significantly increase footfall too.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2024
  18. Charles

A few quick updates

a volenteer informed me that one of the eland passed away a few months ago which is a shame

there has been much more shrub clearing since my last visit
    upload_2024-2-7_15-40-39.jpeg

As well as this there are some “exciting changes” for the barefoot trail which is currently closed

19. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited today, for the first time in 18 months.
    It appears they’re down to two Gelada. Not sure what the long term plan is for this area, which I’ve always liked?
    Had great viewings of wolves and wolverines.
    The giraffe were having target training which was interesting to watch. The individual whose facial markings are much darker is a stunning animal.
    The whole site was saturated with rainwater and I wonder if this needs to be addressed before more major construction begins?

Lafone and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  20. Charles

i think there is a plan to sort out the drainage but it has improved despite still not being great

i dont think they will keep the gelada after theyve passed, i think depending on when they eventually pass i think they may put mandrill in there until the new enclosure is built

TriUK likes this.