Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo Project Bristol zoo project news 2024

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charles, 4 Jan 2024.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How come that gelada have not done well here? @Charles signalled they may go for mandril ..., any truth and validity to that speculative assertion?

Zorro likes this.
  2. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

They are a group of non breeding animals who are related and some were older. When you say ‘not done well here’ depends on the definition of well I suppose.

This study conducted on the group in 2022 gives their names, ages origins etc as well as interesting data on their activity in the study period.

https://www.jzar.org/jzar/article/download/580/424

Charles and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  3. Rajang-GOAT

Rajang-GOAT Well-Known Member

I believe the geladas here have always been in a bachelor setting, perhaps old age is the reason. Their is certainly validity to the potential of mandrill coming to BZP- Bristol have stated multiple times that they are a planned addition along with okapi to the central African forest area in its' second stage of development if I recall correctly.

Kalaw, Charles and Lafone like this.
  4. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anybody know where I can view the original plans for the park, that were released around 15 years ago?

5. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

JamesB, pipaluk, pangolin12 and 3 others like this.
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Geldas are/were indeed a bachelor group, I think initially there were 4 (I haven't had time to read the PDF yet) and yes, they have probably reduced due to age-related deaths. I couldn't quite understand why Wild Place have continued with bachelor Geladas while the Zoo site got rid of their breeding Drills before it closed- they would have been a valuable addition at the new Zoo- more endangered though not as showy as Mandrills.

7. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Are they still going to aim for this in the distant future? I see that the Congo forest is going to be built in the same area specified on that map, as is bear wood on the ancient british forest. I dearly hope so because Central American swamp and british wetlands sound exciting, as does Nepal riverine forest!:)

Rajang-GOAT, Kalaw and Dr. Loxodonta like this.
  8. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unfortunately, I think quite a bit of the old plan has now been scrapped. Certainly the Costa Rica swamp house and the Comoros reef and rainforest house are no longer going to happen.

pipaluk, Dr. Loxodonta, Kalaw and 2 others like this.
  9. Cat-Man

It’s a shame. The old plan was ambitious but certainly welcome, we could do with another Zoo in Britain that ‘competes’ with Chester.

The Costa Rica swamp house was heavily rumoured to contain manatees. Depressingly I’ve given up hope of that species ever being held in Britain :(

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  10. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Paignton have aspirations that may make your wish come true?

pipaluk, Rajang-GOAT and Kalaw like this.
  11. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

For manatees? Are these plans confirmed or just rumours, as manatees in the UK has been a dream of mine for quite some time as well!

Tim May likes this.
  12. TriUK

No, not for Manatees, sorry, just to have new indoor spaces that may rival Chester one day?

13. Cat-Man

Well that sounds promising but Paignton would have a long way to go before becoming a world class zoo!

14. TriUK

I agree!

pipaluk likes this.
  15. Pertinax

Even the buildings and new exhibits they do have planned are going to take some long time to come to fruition. But overall despite the size of the estate, I don't think the 'zoo project' will be on a scale to ever rival Chester, but there's always room for manoevre.

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  16. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

As someone with childhood memories of London Zoo’s last manatees, the return of manatees to the UK has long been a dream of mine too. Unfortunately it seems extremely unlikey.....

TNT, TriUK, pipaluk and 3 others like this.
  17. Pertinax

I clearly remember them at London too. I saw one at Artis some years ago. And Dugongs from a plane over the Australian coast... I'd love to see them in UK again too but like you think its never going to happen.

pipaluk, Tim May and Kalaw like this.
  18. Pertinax

IMO the only 'World class' zoo in the UK is Chester. London (or London + Whipsnade combined) used to be and still teeters on the edge rather, while Colchester also has a fine collection but somehow doesn't rank there either.

pipaluk, Cat-Man and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  19. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry for the confusion, that makes sense, although (having not seen the plans that you refer to) I cannot help but doubt that Paignton will ever be comparable to Chester again.
    The fact that manatees have been becoming more common on the continent, even at zoos that are considerably smaller in both footprint and budget than some of the top British zoos (such as Randers, Faunia or Vincennes) only makes the lack of manatees in the country more painful, but I too cannot imagine this changing any time soon.

20. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe the best chance of manatees returning to UK would be one of those surprisingly good private places that pop up? I’m thinking the likes of Johnson’s of Old Hurst, or Crocodiles of the World

pipaluk, Ned, Kalaw and 1 other person like this.