Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo Project Bristol zoo project news 2024

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charles, 4 Jan 2024.

1. Charles

Charles Well-Known Member

Looks good, I wonder if this is just limited at the Central African Forest or if it’s a wider range species plan either way can’t wait to go

2. MelissaBee888

MelissaBee888 Active Member 10+ year member

They had no future plans other than the conservation campus, so it'll probably cover both areas although the main focus will be on CAF as the other part will be a few years out.

3. Charles

4. MelissaBee888

Antoine, Kalaw and Charles like this.
  5. Rajang-GOAT

Rajang-GOAT Well-Known Member

Bristol Zoo Project: Central African Forest Habitat
    Bristol Zoological Society released a new video on their YouTube channel yesterday giving updates about the progress of the Central African Forest phase 1 plans, and while focusing on education, they also feature a map (at 3:32 in the video) that gives an overview of the area, and although it doesn't seem to feature a key, I am pretty sure number 8 is the Gorilla/mangabey area and number 9 is the crocodile/parrot area, though not so sure on the other labelled spaces. Interesting to note that the Western Lowland Gorilla and Cherry Crowned Mangabey island is split into 2 unevenly sized sections which I haven't seen on previous plans, I would guess to associate the species mix and increase the versatility of the enclosure on the whole.

6. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

The gorilla enclosure looks astonishing in that video (0:51) - will be interesting to see if it can live up to the concept art!

Interestingly, the indoor area (3:38) reminds me heavily of the one at London. I can't help but wonder if they took some inspiration from it (by no means a bad thing, rather quite welcome).

cerperal, Kifaru Bwana, NMM and 3 others like this.
  7. MelissaBee888

Charles and Dr. Loxodonta like this.
  8. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It looks great. I really respect the way Bristol are sharing their vision and focussing everything they’re doing on education around their chosen field conservation projects - excellent stuff!!

GeeZee, Kifaru Bwana, Lafone and 3 others like this.
  9. Charles

Very glad the zoo is being so open and updating its visitors, did anyone go to the talk today and if so was there any new information or just things we already know

GeeZee and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  10. Chatt Wolf

Chatt Wolf Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wonder if it might be time to start thinking about moving Afia & Ayana out from the Gorilla troop before they move in next year.

Pertinax and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. NMM

NMM Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Also wanted to add that I really like it they are being so public about their plans and vision. Wish more places would do the same.

On the flipside, it does create expectations with the public which could have implications if something gets delayed or falls through. I presume that is why the majority of zoos don't do it.

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Regarding moving Afia and Ayani, if I was cordinator I would do a couple of moves within UK population (plus avoiding the post Brexit complications of exporting...)

1. Move Meisie and Moanda(together) from Blackpool to Jersey. Since Kishka's recent death, Jersey now have only 2 females, while the two daughters at Blackpool are fully mature - they are already 14 & 12!- long overdue a transfer but still living with their father.

2. Move Afia and Ayani (together) to Blackpool to replace Meisie and Moanda.

3. Bristol would have two less in their group but still have 1.3. + 2 male juveniles(total 6) until any further births.(unless there has been an unpublicised birth at the old zoo site?).

13. Rajang-GOAT

Hopefully it can live up to the concept art, it might take time to grow in but when it is at its best it will be a sight to behold. I do wonder whether they will welcome a 4th adult female for breeding as the enclosure does not only look amazing and will hopefully be great for the gorillas but it is also (4 times?) bigger than the one at Bristol Zoo Gardens.

I thought the same about similarities to Gorilla Kingdom at ZSL when the images were first released last year, chances are inspiration may have been taken and I wouldn't be surprised if so. It didn't win the poll for the best gorilla enclosure in the UK for no reason!

I have done a bit of looking and found these two links overlooking the developments ongoing at BZP, with some older images I have seen previously and also some newer ones:
    Bristol Zoo Project: Masterplan and Central… | Grant Associates
    Projects I Bristol Zoo Project
    It seems to me like there are two stages of development being shown:
    Stage one consists of Phase 1 of the Central African Forest (Gorillas, mangabeys, crocodiles, parrots) and the addition of ostriches into Benoue National Park (labelled 10 on the map in the video I linked yesterday).
    Stage two consists of the second phase of the Central African Forest (Mandrill and Okapi confirmed previously) as well as the addition of Black Rhino (with their own area) onto Benoue National Park. It looks like plans aren't in stone for any of this yet with Red Panda taking up some of the area previously earmarked for Okapi and and possibly Red River Hogs still inhabiting the area that the Black Rhino extension was going to take up. From this I think it is still a bit of a way off.
    I'm not 100% sure on this but this is what these articles, maps and previous updates seem to show.

Kifaru Bwana and Hugo28 like this.
  14. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Was told on our recent visit that the red panda enclosure is a temporary enclosure

Kalaw, cerperal and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  15. Rajang-GOAT

I thought I remembered that was the case, am I right in thinking their new enclosure will around the new entrance area, which I forgot to mention and I guess will also be part of the second stage of development that I mentioned above? Either way, I'm not sure they would have constructed the enclosure there if they were going to build something entirely different on the space and build another new enclosure for the Red Pandas in a year or two. Possibly in a shorter timeframe they would have waited to get the Red Pandas until their long term home was constructed.

Kifaru Bwana and TriUK like this.
  16. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree about the red panda temporary accommodation, but they also needed a new exhibit with a ‘popular’ species to draw in more guests & to compete with Noah’s Ark this summer, perhaps? Red Panda exhibits are fairly cheap, compared to many enclosures, to build.

Kifaru Bwana and Charles like this.
  17. Charles

The new red river hog i believe has come from Yorkshire Wildlife Park as they made an announcement that one of their red river hogs was leaving for BZP but it was called peanuts however on the website, the new female is called Laña

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

I think you mean Africa Alive as Africa Alive announced the transfer (YWP don’t have them iirc).

Animals are renamed I guess to suit the rest of the collection (Poppy the Pallas’s cat from CWP renamed as Namuu (version of a Mongolian word for Poppy) at Port Lympe etc). Depends on what they do from a marketing pov on what ‘fits’.

19. jtrbmvcq

jtrbmvcq Member

I doubt Jersey will take on anymore gorillas until well after their new gorilla house is built and the gorillas are in and settled.

Kifaru Bwana, Rajang-GOAT and Kalaw like this.
  20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think you are probably right there, though with only a trio plus a 3/4 year old, they do have room to do it now even in the current house. But I agree its unlikely, though they do intend to add more after the new building finally gets finished. Is it even started yet though?

Kifaru Bwana and Charles like this.