Join our zoo community

British Isles Cup Redux - FINALS - Dublin/Fota vs RZSS

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by TeaLovingDave, 9 Dec 2020.

?

Dublin/Fota vs RZSS - ISLANDS and WATER

Poll closed 12 Dec 2020.
  1. Dublin 5/0 RZSS

14.3%
  2. Dublin 4/1 RZSS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dublin 3/2 RZSS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. RZSS 3/2 Dublin

85.7%
  5. RZSS 4/1 Dublin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. RZSS 5/0 Dublin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This one should be a fairly interesting match, as I reckon both organisations have a decent array of exhibits and species to offer in the categories at hand - ISLANDS and WATER. Just as a reminder, the former category *does* include Australia, and the latter category has been otherwise called "SEA, RIVER, COAST AND WETLANDS."

So, shall we see where the discussions and debates take us?

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think RZSS just shades islands and its 3 penguin species in the best exhibit in the UK, plus excellent polar bear enclosures give it the win over the Irish zoos whose stand out species are probably common hippo and its pinipeds.
    I initially was going to vote 4-1 but think that would be harsh, I was actually surprised how much Dublin /Fota have.

3. TeaLovingDave

Firstly, anyone fancy making further arguments for and against the two collections, or making additional votes?

Secondly, care to explain your 5-0 vote for Dublin @Conor ?

Blathnaid and pipaluk like this.
  4. pipaluk

I don't think there is any way it can be justified for neither zoo to get a point!
    I await with interest @Conor explanation of how a zoo that holds Polar Bears and 3 species of penguin in excellent exhibits, along with several Australian species including Koala and Cassowary is worth zero points, I may have to reconsider my vote, as I originally was voting 4-1 RZSS and that is fairer than 5-0 Dublin!

5. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

An unusual exhibit is that of the Harbour Seal which shares an enclosure with white-tailed sea Eagle. The enclosure is very natural looking, the main area with the seals is connected overhead to eagle aviary by a netted 'tunnel' that runs over the public path. The eagles have access to the whole area, the seals only to one side of the public path. set on the edge of an estuary (?) the eagles could use the wind to hang in the air.
    There is also a tropical house with aquariums. I don't know much about Dublin.

6. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Out of curiosity, i'd be interested to know how many of the voters have ever visited the Irish zoos.

7. TeaLovingDave

Well, here's your opportunity to make the argument for Dublin and Fota then :) these threads rather rely on participation, but we've been having less and less of it lately!

On another note, unless there's a reply to my request from @Conor I may have to disregard his vote - a clean sweep vote from a user who has seemingly registered for the sole purpose of doing so is somewhat fishy!

CGSwans and pipaluk like this.
  8. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unfortunately I've not visited the Irish collections yet so I'm hoping for a bit of an argument in favour of them or I'll have to sit this one out. RZSS certainly do well here but I'd like to hear some arguments from those who've visited to get an idea about the collection.

9. TeaLovingDave

Bit too late for anyone to make the argument now, unless @dublinlion comes online again and writes something in the next ten minutes :( a pity, as he was online for several hours after I suggested that if he had implicit reservations about how well-educated people's votes were, it was an ideal opportunity for him to rectify the issue.

10. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Honestly a shame, I don't really engage in votes where I've not visited one of the participants but this series has really shone a light on the Irish zoos (I've sat most of their votes out, other than the one vs Cotswold); I'd not really considered them as big British Isles contenders but I'll gladly admit that this series has focussed my attention on them.

No complaints with RZSS winning here mind! Just don't know the other collection enough to vote.

11. TeaLovingDave

As a general note; although in this case the unsound vote was blatant enough it could be easily discounted, it *does* illustrate why participation is so important - the lower the number of total votes, the more of an unbalancing factor a vote which is obviously biased but cannot be discounted represents.

In this round, given how few people took part in the vote, had the 5-0 vote for Dublin been allowed to stand the final percentages would have been 48.57% and 51.43% respectively as opposed to a 40/60 split..... a much tighter margin, and if this kind of thing happened more than once or twice possibly decisive in the long run.

12. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I appreciate the points made by Dormitator and Dave but I lack the energy at this time to write a long report. So i'll just write a little about Fota as it seems to be underestimated and Dublin is quite well known although also appears to be somewhat underappreciated on this site.
    Fota is a lovely zoo and park and in the last few years has shown massive improvement and added lots of new habitats and animals, part of the perimeter is within yards of the Irish sea and most of the many lakes and moats are saltwater. There are three species of breeding gibbons on nice densely planted and spacious islands and the Lar gibbons have the best gibbon habitat i've ever seen. There are dozens of waterfowl species including Eiders and Coscoroba swans on a huge lake and the small Tropical house has some nice big fish and reptile tanks. The indian Rhino have a large habitat with several paddocks and a large lake.
    The Capybara and Tapir also have a good sized pond in a large area.
    The 180 plus Wallabys and Grey Kangaroo have almost a free run of the park especially in the forested scrubby less developed areas. There is a newly built Madagascan section with good sized islands for four lemur species and an enclosed area with some insects, fish and amphibians.
    The penguins have a large salwater lake with a gravel beach which is good if a little outdated and the Flamingo are kept in salt water.
    Overall Fota's strenghts are very good primate islands and some of the largest habitats around and the whole local area is a well known birdwatching hotspot and well worth a visit. They do need to add some more species and they are working towards this.
    Edinburgh and Dublin cancel each other and the very good Highland zoo is not strong in this category so I would have gone 3 to 2 in favor of Fota.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  13. pipaluk

I don't understand why you think Dublin or Fota are underappreciated when they won 4 out of 5 matches in the first round (although arguably in the weaker group). As far as I can see Edinburgh does far more than cancel out Dublin in these categories and Highland wildlife park has its Polar Bears which are a massive bonus.
    Fota isn't going to get much credit for its Red-necked wallabies either. I think Fota saves the Irish zoos from a heavy defeat here and there is no bias other than the ridiculous 5-0 vote for Dublin/Fota.