Join our zoo community

British Zoo Animals 10,000 BC

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Jacobea, 9 May 2009.

1. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

N/A-I meant AD :eek: And this berk took archaeology...

Please bear with me, this is going to sound odd :eek:

I'm starting to compile notes for a short story about Britain in 10,000-15,000 years time. It's one of those "almost all humans are dead, those left have become cavemen and the planet's reverting back to a pre-mankind state" ideas :rolleyes:

Now, what I am curious to know is this: imagine almost all humans have gone (moved to Mars, died of disease, etc) but before they disappeared, they left open all the cage and enclosure doors in all the parks/zoos in mainland Britain. Which species do you think could still be around across Britain in 10,000-15,000 years time :) ?

What animals have got viable populations to survive that long? Which ones can and simply can't adapt to life roaming free across Britain?

2. elephant400

elephant400 Well-Known Member

i should think elephants would live well in our forests and woods.

3. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

spect tigers, snow leopards and rhino would survive

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Even during winter?

I expect you'll be takinbg into account Ice Ages and other factors. I also assume that Britain 10,000AD will not have metal beavers with laser eyes trying to wipe out the last vestiges of humanity.

:p

Hix

5. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

Hell no :eek: I would expect Britain 10,000 AD to be heavily forested, which could support elephants. However, I would think that the Earth would cool down again (which it does naturally, over and over-cools and warms), so whether elephants could survive the wintera is another question.

6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have a look at animals that were present in the British Isles c.10,000 BC, and then use species that are currently alive that can fill the same ecological niches.

Of course, you're going to have to decide what sort of climate the world has. That will determine whether your apex predators are, for instance, leopards or snow leopards.

Also, don't be afraid to describe some minor evolutionary change - you have, for instance, about 800-1200 generations to play with for felids. That's enough time for some minor adaptations, so if you really want elephants in Britain - give them thick hair. :)