Join our zoo community

'Broken Glass' (in) Reptilarium

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 27 Nov 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. But, with this thread I wanted to read opinions for this design from zoochatters placed in the role of visitors. Current status is 4 against, and 2 (including me) liked, this design :)

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@Nikola Chavkosk : although it doesn't quite look like your design, LAIR (the reptile exhibit at Los Angeles Zoo) has a desert-themed building that includes a row of these irregular, diagonal, zigzag-shaped exhibits that you include in your design. As someone who has seen that shape of enclosure in real life, it is sometimes difficult/impossible to get a good view of the animal if they are not next to the glass or in the middle of the enclosure. Additionally, the narrower the viewing window is, the fewer people that can view the enclosure at one time; this could potentially create congestion issues, and at LA Zoo it often does. I much prefer the simple rectangular-shaped windows, especially larger ones, because they allow multiple people to view an enclosure at the same time.

jayjds2 and Nikola Chavkosk like this.
  3. Nikola Chavkosk

Batto will your zoo be very creative with the enclosures? I immagine when this thread was actuel, and you participated in it, you was planing and working on your in-building zoo. :p

Last edited: 2 Jul 2017
  4. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Creative in regard to the space available, maybe...

5. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused. Where is the exit and entrance?

6. Nikola Chavkosk

There is just one entrance and it is only for the staff - the part with red colour adjacent to the outer surface. The visitors are watching from outside - from outer glass surface to the inside.

7. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

So it's an outdoor exhibit? Like an outdoor reptile room? Or am I misunderstanding you. The design is creative but if the size of all of the exhibits the same size as a Cuban crocodile exhibit ( assuming that the exhibits are the same size. It's hard to tell for me)... I fear for the keepers of the venomous snakes. That large of an exhibit for 1 gaboon viper? These snakes are good at camouflage. What if one of your keepers stepped on one by accident? Same goes with green mambas and eyelash vipers. What if one of your keepers are walking and a green mamba appears right in front of there face, ready to strike? There is nothing wrong with how reptiles are presented today especially venomous snakes. I personally like how they are shown in my local zoos.

Of course if the exhibits are all small then the crocodile exhibits are way to small. For at least Cuban crocodiles.

If I'm wrong with the exact exhibit sizes you can correct me but that is how I'm looking at it.

Edit: I just noticed that Mr.Zootycoon said pretty much the same thing. Sorry if I'm repeating a question.

TheEthopianWolf

Last edited: 8 Jul 2017
  8. Nikola Chavkosk

Thank you too I appreciate a lot other opinion. The reptilarium is 9x9 metres or 29.5 x 29.5 foot. So yes, the snake enclosures are quite large and the croc's is small. These are not outdoor enclosures, but a building, it just the visitors would look from the outside trough windows, what is inside a tropical reptile house. I still love this concept. It does not mean it will be inevitably dangerous for the keepers, since there are many alternatives and thorough planing and visual inspection. Examples: Plastic body covers - impermeable for the snake fangs, use of a plastic boxes, or a barriers when entering the enclosure. I think a small terrarium is more dangerous, since the snake can jump from it suddenly, and a large enclosure means you are catching a snake like in the wilderness when that will be needed. Maybe some special remote control may help - eg. extremely long snake hooks. I don't like handling of snakes if that is not extremely neccesarly.
    Do you liked the concept?
    So in short, you have a reptile house, but you not enter in it, but you watch what is inside from the outside, trough windows of a concrete wall or glass walls. :p

Last edited: 8 Jul 2017