Join our zoo community

Closed Broken links?

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Simon Hampel, 21 Oct 2016.

Tags:
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

If you come across threads with broken links to other threads/pages/photos/etc from ZooChat, please paste the URLs here and I'll investigate.

I haven't yet finished putting in all the redirects for the old URLs so that they redirect to the new ones.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  3. Simon Hampel

Okay, this is one of the URLs that we can't automatically redirect for technical reasons - so if you have external links they will now be kind of broken (kind of because it will take you to the correct thread, but not to the correct post, because the number of posts per page is different between the two sites).

But what I have been able to do is do a global search and replace for links that look like the one you posted and rewrite it as something that will work with the new URL structure - as you can see, the first link in your post has now changed and when you click on it, it takes you to the same place that your send link does.

So any links to specific posts that were made on the forums will now work and take you to that specific post. But unfortunately, any external link (eg in an email or on another website) will not work unless they are changed at the source.

If you do need to change links, here's how to do it:

Code:
    http://www.zoochat.com/109/german-adventures-tea-loving-dave-april-358566/index5.html#post761329
    ... that last part with the number after the #post is the unique identifier of the post you want to link to, if you take that number and put it at the end of the following URL ...

Code:
    https://www.zoochat.com/community/posts/761329
    ... and it will magically work out the correct thread and post to link to.

4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I decided to look at my Australia trip thread just to see how link redirects had been handled, and some very odd things have happened. All of the links are broken, and in some of the posts, everything beyond the first hyperlink has disappeared.

For example, just taking a random page here: Trip to Australia – June and July 2016 an example of a post where everything is there but the links are broken is post #169 here: Trip to Australia – June and July 2016 and a post where all of the text below the first hyperlink has disappeared is #162 here: Trip to Australia – June and July 2016
    All of the posts where the text beyond the first hyperlink has disappeared say 'Last edited by a moderator: Today at 8:47 AM'

5. TeaLovingDave

Flag up all such losses of text here and I can revert the edit and hence restore your text :) as I have just done for the one you just posted.

6. LaughingDove

Thanks, TLD. Here are all the posts where a similar loss of text has happened:
    Trip to Australia – June and July 2016

7. LaughingDove

8. Simon Hampel

Yes, that's on my todo list to fix this morning. Requires some programming to make those old links work.

9. Simon Hampel

I took a backup of the database just before I did the search and replace, so I'll restore that to a test site and compare the posts to see what broke. Will come up with a fix.

10. TeaLovingDave

Judging by the time of the edit mentioned by LaughingDove which is present on all the curtailed posts, I think the error is related to the global search and replace you performed earlier, per the following quote:

11. LaughingDove

It seems that TLD has fixed them all anyway (Thanks!) and undone whatever edits broke them so it doesn't seem to be a major issue.

12. Simon Hampel

Yes, except it was a global search/replace so there will likely be other posts which are broken now too - so I still need to check.

13. Simon Hampel

I've spent the day working on making all those old links work again. Please do let me know if you find any links which are still not working.

I still have to do a few changes to some links to images (to the actual image file rather than the gallery entry) and also fix the search/replace things that got broken earlier.