Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zooplantman, 16 Jan 2014.

1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

From the zoo

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ok another idotic law suit against a zoo. A family is suing the zoo because their 3 year old swallowed a commemorative pressed penny the zoo gave them free for visiting the dino exhibit. Somehow its the zoos fault the kid is stupid and the parents are even dumber. I can safely say my 3 year old nephew isnt in the habit of just eating things, especially metals but apparently this one is. Ok lets get beyond the kid because frankily hes 3 so that leads me to what parent lets their kid keep something like that. THey arent interested in it. Its not a toy. Its shiny sure but nothing most kids will flip over so why didnt they take it. Its not the zoos fault they let their kid eat a penny. THe parents should chalk it up to an accident and move on. But no now they sue the zoo. We all know the zoo made him eat the penny, and were negligent in giving away a free little token, because as the parents claim there was no warning from the zoo about the risks of eating the penny. Who is so stupid not to know what would happen if they eat a penny? Well not the kid but geeze its not like he could have read the warning anyway before he scarfed it down. These people are just opportunist looking to cash in. I cannot believe some people. The zoo should sue them for slander and wasting their time. At least the zoo has a case.

Zoo sued after child swallows souvenir penny | New York Post

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This freakin unbelievable! I mean, seriously!!?? This is a totally ridiculous case and I'll be shocked beyond believe if Bronx loses! I wouldn't necessarily blame the kid, kids do things, but the parents aren't sending their child a very great message by just suing the zoo for a simply mistake he made! They just want money and attention! If this hampers Bronx's current plans in any way I'm gonna be soooo pissed! Some people!!:mad:

~Thylo:cool:

4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh I wasnt blaming the kid so much for his accident. I was just comparing 3 year olds. I dont find my nephew eating non foods. Possibly its because as adults we supervise him. The parents are the real problem here. I know you cant watch them 24/7 but they should just accept it was a costly accident. No one is to blame, except maybe them... and I say this because we are just getting their version of the story which will obviously be slanted to meet their needs.

5. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Stupid child of stupid parents. If he ate a coin found at the zoo's ground instead of a gift one, then the zoo would be also fined?
    Every non-food object given to kids of this age should not fit in their mouth, until their shark-like habits of eating everything cease at last as the brain grows :)

6. ThylacineAlive

It wasn't even on zoo grounds I don't think. And still not their fault even if it was.

7. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Anyone wanna give this child a Neocube for Christmas? :) Those magnet balls are even tastier than coins, and would help him to get Darwin Awards.

8. Astrotom3000

Astrotom3000 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I love when people play stupid to justify their own ends. Any parent worth their salt should have known that pennies are a choking hazard. There is no need for a warning. Even if there was a warning, it would still have to have been up to the mother to make to call since a child who stuffs random objects down his throat not have the literacy to comprehend the sign. The mother should have known about the potential risks posed by pennies when they purchased the tickets, but to allow an employee to hand the child the penny directly and not expect anything to come of it is just plain idiotic.

This reeks of parental negligence. The only way this lawsuit is justified is if the employee handed the coin to the child without the parents knowing, but given the other circumstances described in the article, this seems highly unlikely. And then again, only the employee should be blamed, not the entire zoo.

I hope the lawsuit fails, because this country really needs to stop rewarding the ****** among us.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2014
  9. Mikezoo12

Mikezoo12 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, when is the children's zoo renovation suppose to be finished?

10. ThylacineAlive

11. Mikezoo12

Bronx needed more South American species, but to bad they can't get the more popular mammals (for kids) like tapir(beside Malayan) jaguar or capybara.

12. ThylacineAlive

If you're unhappy with pudu then I don't think you belong on this site:p Personally I think it'll be a squeeze with anteater and pudu but hopefully I'll be wrong. And hopefully the squirrel monkey islands will be better than I'm imagining.

13. Mikezoo12

I did not say anything about the pudu.I said more things kids know.

14. Mikezoo12

Bronx Zoo tigeress mauled and killed in breeding attempt at San Diego Zoo. She was from the triplets in 2009.:(

15. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry, but that's relatively old news that has already been mentioned on the SDZ News thread at this point. Also, the cubs are from 2010.

16. Mikezoo12

I know,Thylo pointed that out.But the news sight I got it from said 2009.

17. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Well, I visited the zoo on Saturday, March 8th, and had myself a little look-see at how things were going at Zoo Center with the construction of the Komodo dragon exhibit. It almost looks complete (to me, at least). I'm not sure how much work still needs to be done on it, so I can't really give an estimate as to when the exhibit might open.

It appears there are going to be four exhibits in this project, the first of which is a tank for freckled monitors and yellow spiny-tailed monitors. It had mainly rocks (mock rocks I believe) in it, with relatively no foliage. There were two or three of these dead bush/branch looking things, I didn't check to see if they were real or not. This exhibit is opposite from the rhinos' indoor enclosure, where the former Amazing Amphibians wall was, so it can be seen clearly, unlike the three other tanks within the "No Entry" area.

The tank to the right of the Komodo dragon exhibit was filled about 3/4 with water, so I assume something like a water monitor or turtles may be in there in the future. It had a large log in it, as well as some rocks at the top left of the exhibit.

The one to the left of the dragon exhibit had large tree roots and branches running through it (most likely fake), as well as what appeared to me to be pitcher plants. I've no idea if they're real or not, so maybe someone can give me some info on how common pitcher plants are in zoo exhibits/gardens. If someone knows what'll be inside, or has mentioned it or any of these other details already, I'm sorry for not noticing it prior to posting this. (In a bit of a rush here :eek: ).

Here is a picture of roughly three- or fourth-fifths of the Komodo dragon exhibit.

EDIT: From memory, I'd say that the picture I posted does show more like 3/5 of the exhibit.

Attached Files:

18. ThylacineAlive

Merten's Water Monitors and Black Tree Monitors have been announced for the exhibit. How's the outside bit looking?

19. Mikezoo12

I heard about Blue Tree Moniters.:confused:

20. ThylacineAlive

Actually that might be correct. I remembered it being one or the other but couldn't remember which.