Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zooplantman, 16 Jan 2014.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Just one more thing to look forward to seeing on my visit! :)

3. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Mikezoo12

Mikezoo12 Well-Known Member

I went about 2 weeks ago and the calf and lemur babies were there.

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why didn't you announce them?

~Thylo:cool:

6. AnaheimZoo

Well, unfortunately, my plans for this weekend's visit had to be cancelled.

I definitely want to visit sometime this month, but it's likely that I won't go again until I'm finished with school (which ends on the 26th).

I'm sorry I couldn't go out and check up on the things you'd asked for, Thylo. Are you planning on visiting anytime soon?

7. ThylacineAlive

Oh that sucks! What happened if you don't mind me asking?

It's quite alright. I can't see me going at any point until the end of the year unfortunately.

8. Mikezoo12

Mikezoo12 Well-Known Member

I think I posted it on chat and forgot to post it here.:eek:

9. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

The Bronx zoo will be holding three members evenings on Jule 15th, July 22nd and August 7th. These are nights for members to explore the zoo without the massive crowds. Events include free dinosaur safari rides, keeper presentations (Rhino, Tiger, Bear, Sea Lion) and wildlife theater performances. Free parking for all members and access to all attractions. This includes monorail rides until 7pm.
    These look like they will be a lot of fun and I will most likely go to the Thursday August 7th event. I really want to go on a monorail when it's darker out or see the animals more active when it is cooler out.

10. ThylacineAlive

June or July 15th? I presume July since today is June 15th.

Hopefully I'll be able to attend.

11. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

July 15th.

12. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

First time post

Long time lurker and avid reader deciding to dive in!

Visited the Bronx zoo last month and noticed some new items that were not posted on here so thought I would share:

2 sea lions were born in the beginning of July. I saw a post on twitter and I think a Daily News story, but nothing on the Bronx Zoo website.

I did not see the kiwi in the Aquatic bird house :(, but will try again.

Komodo dragon exhibit looked good, the two young females were active as were the water monitors.

There was a new species in Madagascar. A pair of lemurs with the sifakas. I think they were crowned lemurs. I will post a picture in the gallery and maybe someone will recognize them. There were no postings anywhere about them.

According to Bronx Zoo twitter markhors are now on exhibit in Wild Asia. On my tour the Himalayan tahr were still on exhibit. From the pictures posted it appears two babies are a part of the herd.

Did not see, but on the WCS photo blog and twitter the Bronx Zoo has bred king cobra and reticulated pythons this year. In the blog it stated the Bronx Zoo is one of only three institutions in the USA to breed them.

Other minor notes: the cages by the Mouse House had different species of new world monkeys including Goeldi's monkey, emperor tamarin and mustached marmoset. Haven't seen them since the Monkey House closed.

Wild Asia also seemed to have more deer (especially a lot of swamp deer, brown antlered deer and hog deer) and the red pandas were back.

That's all I can recall for now. I look forward to posting more.

13. ThylacineAlive

Thanks for the update!:) Great to hear there are some new species out and about and wonderful to hear that they've finally put some monkeys back on-show, especially the Moustached Tamarins! I, too, noticed a lot more deer than usual when I went in April. Did you notice any new species out in African Plains?

Is anyone planning on going to the member's night?

14. AnaheimZoo

I will be visiting on August 7th and will be attending the Members-Only evening, so (like last time) if you want me to check anything out for you Thylo, go ahead and ask. :)

And yes, thank you for the update, bigfoot410 - and welcome to ZooChat. :)

I'm excited to see the new species of lemur, as well as the markhors. And did you happen to see the lion cubs or the baby lemurs? They're not too grown up, are they? I'd been wanting to see them since May - I don't know how fast they age.

15. ThylacineAlive

hehe I asked because I'll be attending the member's night as well:) So if you wanna try to meet up while there, pm me. If not, no worries and have fun!

I, too, am excited to see the new lemurs and Markhors! As for the Lion cubs, they grow fast so they'll probably look like juveniles by now.

16. bigfoot410

To AniheimZoo- I did see the lion cubs, gorilla babies and the collared lemur twins. The lion cubs were especially rambunctious, we watched them for a half hour with even the lioness getting involved with their games. I might post some of my pictures of them.

The collared lemurs were still clinging to mom and seemed to be a handful having two of them and trying to jump around the exhibit. The crowned lemurs were especially beautiful to see. Please note the red ruffed lemurs: when I was there last month there was only 1 on exhibit.

ThylacineAlive: African plains had all the animals you reported in April: 4 crowed cranes and a marabou stork with the nyalas, 3 slender horned gazelle in the side yard, lesser kudu with the thompson's gazelle and the baby giraffe was out. It seems like they had a baby zebra over the winter (he was already quite big by June) and looked like only four wild dog. Nothing else new that I could recall.

I also think it is great that they are putting more of their monkey species out, I am still sad they don't have their blue eyed lemurs anymore

Let me know if anything else is new on the member's evenings, maybe the Aldabra tortoises will be out. I won't be going back to the Bronx until the fall, hopefully a little cooler out!

17. AnaheimZoo

Well that's great! Thanks for filling us in.

Wow! I'm shocked to see that the lesser kudu have returned after no one had seen them for a while, and I'm glad the zoo's kept the crowned cranes, as well as the marabou stork! We'd all thought they'd been phased out and somebody had just neglected to remove the signage. Do you happen to have any pictures of the stork?

Ah, yes, the baby giraffe was the baby animal I'd forgotten to mention. So thanks for reminding me. How's he/she doing? And as for the baby gorillas, they should be getting to the stage where they're okay with straying away from mom a little bit, right?

18. bigfoot410

Baby giraffe was cute. I think it was too hot for her to move around so I didn't get any good pictures. The baby gorilla was still clinging to mom, but by now they should be starting to explore more.
    I was also very surprised to see the storks, I hadn't seen them in a very long time, but I did not take a picture. I do have a kudu picture, I was able to catch them way in the back of their exhibit. No blue cranes this time though.

19. AnaheimZoo

So, no blue cranes, but marabou storks are back, lesser kudus are back, crowned cranes have stayed. That's awesome! Thanks so much for the update - I can't wait to see the storks again, as well as the baby giraffe, gorillas, sea lions, lemurs, etc., etc... (Did I forget anything? :D)

20. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

If you check out the bronx zoos twitter you will see a picture of about 11 markhor in what appears to be the himalayan tahr exhibit.