Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zooplantman, 16 Jan 2014.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Put a link to the photo.

~Thylo:cool:

2. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Sadly, it's just the Zoo's cover photo - they didn't post the picture separately - so there is no link to it. I guess all I can provide is the Zoo's Twitter page, where you can see the photo.

https://twitter.com/TheBronxZoo

Last edited: 26 Jul 2014
  3. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

I made a quick 3 hour visit to the zoo today and will be posting photos and comments tomorrow.

4. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  5. AnaheimZoo

Is it bad that I find the new website news more exciting than any new species/babies news? :D It's about time the Bronx Zoo changed things up with their site!

6. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

I actually like the look of the website. It is simpler and easier to use. The website is still a work in progress it seems. Some pages link back to the old website, but in a few weeks it will hopefully be complete.

7. ThylacineAlive

Yeah I've noticed that unless you type "new.bronxzoo.com", it just brings you to the old site and if you try to go there from any other WCS sites, it brings you to the old one.

I'd like to see them do this with all of their collection's sites.

8. AnaheimZoo

Huh. Since your last post, it seems they fixed it somewhat. When I search for the Bronx Zoo on mobile, even though the first link is just bronxzoo.com, you were automatically redirected to the new site. I just checked on my computer now, and that's not the case. I find that strange.

But yeah, I'd also like to see the other WCS parks get fresh new websites, especially the New York Aquarium, since they've had a lot of rebuilding/construction going on there.

9. ThylacineAlive

A bit of a random question but does anyone know the origins of zoo's elephants Patty and Maxine?

I've been doing some research into the origins of all the elephants I've seen for subspecies purposes and what not and I haven't been able to find where they originated from. I know they were wild born but I can't seem to find in which country.

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

those two arrived at the zoo at the same time with another one called Laverne (since dead) who is recorded as being wild-born in India, so they are more than likely also from India.

11. ThylacineAlive

Oh okay. Thank you:)

12. AnaheimZoo

I visited on the 7th, and I was definitely happy with what a saw. All of the babies were out, including the gorillas - both of them, the collared lemur twins, the giraffe calf, the lion cubs, the sea lions, as well as the chicks of at least two pheasant species - Swinhoe's and Cabot's. I don't think I've ever seen so many babies on a single visit!

I saw the Zoo Center's new monitor and tortoise exhibits, both of which I thought were very nice, although I was only able to see one of the Komodo dragons (and only for a few seconds) and the lights weren't even on in the blue-spotted tree monitor exhibit. (Any idea what could have been going on there?) The tortoise exhibit is pretty. It is very long and lushly planted, and has a soft pathway made up of what I thought was the material used on playgrounds (the name escapes me - help me out :D). The Komodo dragons' outdoor exhibit (the former tapir exhibit) seemed a bit small. It was basically an island with a water-less moat around it, I'm not sure if the moat is accessible to the dragons. Have they started using the outdoor yard yet? They were only on exhibit indoors on the day of my visit.

I also got a glimpse of the Aquatic Bird House's kiwi, so that is the first kiwi I have ever seen in my lifetime! Although it was just preening itself nestled in a corner with its back turned and would only occasionally show its face, it was definitely special. I have to say, I was really taken off guard by how big kiwis actually are! :eek: And for the first time, I saw the mandrills at the Congo Gorilla Forest! I was always so disappointed when I would see so many pictures/videos of them on the Internet, but every time I would stop by their exhibit they were nowhere to be found. Many times the exhibit was completely empty - no red river hogs or De Brazza's monkeys either! But, yes, I saw two of them, and was excited to capture some close-up video of the male's face. :)

I saw the "new" crowned lemurs in the sifaka exhibit. They were very active and fun to watch. I asked an employee how many there were, as there were two on exhibit at the moment, but she was unsure since the individuals inside the exhibit are constantly being rotated. I do believe she said there were four Coquerel's sifakas total though, if anyone was curious. She also said that in the four months they've been together, the crowned lemurs and sifakas have gotten along very well.

And yes, to reiterate, there is a marabou stork on display on the African Plains. This individual was missing its right wing. If anyone remembers, was this the same one that was on exhibit in the years before the storks suddenly "disappeared?" Also, the crowned-cranes were in the n'yala exhibit along with the stork - I think there were four of them - although their signage was still up at the gazelle exhibit. And the two kudus were on exhibit as well.

13. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. AnaheimZoo

Gah! I saw the tortoises on my visit, but because I thought it had already been reported I didn't mention it. :eek:

15. ThylacineAlive

16. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. ThylacineAlive

Just read this and thought it was interesting enough to post: apparently the zoo's Komodo Dragons share their enclosure with a flock of Zebra Finches! I personally find this to be an odd mix but apparently it works.

19. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

There are Java finches with the Komodo dragons as well. They both are hard to see since they are small birds already and are flying around in the trees in the back of the exhibit.

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

zebra finches are found naturally on Komodo and the surrounding islands so they are not out-of-place (although I suspect the ones at the Bronx are probably Australian zebra finches and not Timor zebra finches). Java sparrows don't occur naturally anywhere near Komodo, but close enough I suppose.

I've always thought Komodo dragon enclosures should include more species (small birds, flying dragons and other lizards, butterflies, etc).