Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zooplantman, 16 Jan 2014.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well I believe some were just put on-show in other areas such as the long-tongued bats in the Monkey House (though who knows what happened to them once that closed). I'm not too sure about many of the other species but I do know that at least the Leopard Cats seem to have been sent off.

I found out by talking to another member who then directed me to a post on Prague's Facebook page about the swap.

~Thylo:cool:

2. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

I remember in the Monkey House the night monkeys, sloth and prehensile tailed porcupine were all exhibited too. The boas are in the World or Reptiles and the cloud rats and until recently the mouse lemurs were in the Mouse House. The brush tailed porcupine were also in the World of Birds until recently. The bettongs are at the Prospect Park Zoo. I also assumed the naked mole rats, sand cats, leopard cats, crested porcupine, greater galagos, bay duiker, black caimen, and several bat species were also sent away.

3. ThylacineAlive

Yes I remember seeing those as well. What boa species were in WOD? I know the mouse lemurs were in Madagascar! for years but then they moved them out in favor of a ground boa. I don't recall ever seeing them in the Mouse House, though. I saw the porcupine years ago and believe it was moved to Prospect Park (or at least they have one).

Unfortunately, my only memory of WOD (I went when I was younger a few years before I started serious zoo-going) are the Leopard Cats. Though at least I've seen the Leopard Cats, though. Especially since, apart from probably a few bat species, the flying squirrels that were once in there, and the crested porcupine and greater galago (depending on the species, do you know which?) I've managed to see all of the other species kept in there.

4. ThylacineAlive

One other question:
    The loris that's now on-show in JungleWorld is likely the same "slow loris" that was originally in World of Darkness and is currently labelled as Nycticebus coucang. However, since the closing of WOD the species has been split into a few different species and if the zoo is just using the same listing for it as they did back then, it is entirely possible that this isn't a real N. coucang and is another species (probably either javanicus or bengalensis from my understanding of what's kept in captivity). So, I was just wondering if anyone had any information that they could share that could potentially narrow down what this animal cloud actually be?

Any info. is appreciated:) Thanks!

5. girafee1985

girafee1985 Active Member

Spoke to someone at the Bronx zoo earlier asking if their were any plans to reopen the world of darkness. As the building is still intact I was hoping for good news. Sadly they said no. However,The children zoo will be updated as you all know. Plus the upstairs of the world of birds. They couldn't give me details but I am hoping for perhaps some new species. She also told me latter in 2015 some more news might be revealed.

6. bigfoot410

Good to hear that the 2nd floor of the World of Birds will be reopened. They do have some interesting species there and some updating is all thats needed (and the kea moved to a larger/outdoor exhibit). It is too bad about the World of Darkness; but it will be interesting what the next area they would like to renovate (abandoned African Plains area maybe?)

Thylacinealive: I do not recall 100% what galago species was in the African Savanna at night exhibit at WOD. The boa was a South American boa (same as in the World of Reptiles now next to the anaconda).

Any idea what is happening at the end of the World of Reptiles or the one side of the Mouse House (diurnal side on the left)? Also will the Children Zoo have flamingos and sloths (they were maybe species on the website)?

7. ThylacineAlive

What's going on in the Mouse House? Everything was open and had animals in it except for the enclosure with the bushbabies now on my visit.

8. girafee1985

Not sure about the answer to those questions but forgot to mention when I asked for a time frame for the WOB. They stated they did not have one due to extensive repairs. I am hoping a completely open air aviary but who knows.

9. bigfoot410

Upon entering the house on the left hand side the only exhibits were the achouchi (two exhibits), antelope ground squirrel and rock cavy. There was 3-4 exhibits that were emptied with only one for a sign for degus (which are supposed to go to the children's zoo).

10. ThylacineAlive

Don't hold your breath....

11. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. ThylacineAlive

One more thing I just remembered I forgot to report! The blood python is back in the log enclosure in JungleWorld.

13. bigfoot410

According to my Membership renewal the renovated 2nd floor of the World of Birds should be completed by September 13. On that day they are having a "breakfast with the birds" with Conservation Supporters. No major details are given about the refurbishment so I am not sure if it will be just new signage and graphics or will new species/exhibits be involved. The material does show a picture of the toco toucans.

14. girafee1985

As in Sept 13 a year away? wow didn't realize it was that extensive

15. bigfoot410

I don't know if it will be a really extensive renovation. No details are given as of yet. It will likely be a minor renovation (kind of like the Children's Zoo) so hopefully it will at least include some new species.

16. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Question to the Bronx-Zoo experts.

Is it allowed to the big hoofed animals like giraffes,zebras and antelopes to use the outdoor exhibits during wet, rainy days and in autumn ? European zoos keeping them on grass floor, dosn't, because it destroys the grass, so some british zoo using so called hard stands for them if it rains.Because Bronx-Zoo hasn't such hard stands, I ask me, how they handle their giraffes and zebrass in that time ?

17. ThylacineAlive

I believe they're let outside if it's rainy and I've seen them out in Autumn as long as it's warm enough.

18. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Historically the policy has changed depending on the Curator and how hard the Horticulture Dept. advocates for the turf.