Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 27 Dec 2014.

Tags:
  1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh wow dcpandafan I didn't know SNZ got a new map. When I was talking about how I didn't like their map I was referring to the one that you showed as the last one they had.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I agree! I have an amazing sense of direction and spatial relations--and I can just about draw the outline of a zoo I've visited just once--but the Bronx Zoo is just mind-boggling in size. Unlike most zoos whose exhibits must necessarily be immediately adjacent to one another, Bronx seems to be filled with endless space between exhibits. (I remember one winter feeling that the Giraffe House seemed to be so far flung that it might have been in Siberia. It would be really neat to know what animals are on lands that look empty on the map. I still have trouble painting a picture of the entire zoo in my mind from all the individual pieces.

I'm glad that the RARE lands seem to be unpromised to any other development and could be used for elephants. Such unused space allows for something rare in most zoo development--not having to move a current species while its habitat is being renovated. I wasn't exactly proposing that the forests be cut down, knowing that the city demands a percentage of green space be maintained. I imagined shadier enclosures keeping a great deal of the forest canopy, but the proposals for the RARE lands sounds much better, more visible.

I've had the same thought about whales, wondering if all of these plans about committing to the six species on site could somehow exclude elephants too. Thylo is right, though, that Bronx is more than capable of developing a crackerjack elephant exhibit. WCS has now thoroughly informed all of its employees about this entire new plan for 2020, so methinks some public announcement may come soon. I teach near the Aquarium, and a source tells me that the spoken understanding is that there will be a return to an elephant breeding program. The one thing that does not worry me much is where WCS will get its breeding-age elephants. As everyone has noted, when WCS does something, they do it right and do it thoroughly; if there is any kind of plan to bring back elephants, I feel sure that they have the specimens lined up and ready, probably from Europe or from the Wild. There are organizations in Asia capable of donating animals, and the US Wildlife service--usually the hardest to convince of the necessity of an import for the survival of a species--will certainly listen to WCS.

5. AmbikaFan

I would love for any of these National Zoo maps to show more of the species found in each area, but I have to say that the current map is much better for the sole reason that it gives some idea of terrain. The zoo is not only built on a hill that declines significantly to the south, but there is also a very steep drop from east-to-west, putting American Trail literally below much of the zoo. Anything that helps visitors to conceptualize this is a plus.

6. ThylacineAlive

The map on the zoo's website says the Asian parking lot is under construction. Any idea on what's going on?

I'd imagine nothing more than an upgrade or repairs or something but turning less used parking lots into exhibits seems to be something zoos are doing now so thought I'd ask.

~Thylo:cool:

7. AmbikaFan

Any particular kind of new Asian exhibit you'd like to see? ;)

8. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

9. ZooElephantMan

^ is a particular new Asian exhibit I'd like to see

10. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. ThylacineAlive

The zoo has repeated said they aren't interested in getting Giant Pandas despite politicians nonstop attempts to get them. And I'm glad the zoo isn't interested. The zoo's had enough financial issues in the past and has just now begun getting stuff done again and adding money guzzlers like pandas would be a step in the wrong direction.

12. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree that the zoo should not get pandas. They should not be pressured by the wants of politicians and the mass and questions of the media. After all the crap that Bronx has been through, they are finally starting to get money back into the zoo to build new exhibits and add new animals, and they should keep that up. Pandas would throw that money away.

If they did get them though, they may win another aza exhibit award :D

13. ThylacineAlive

Why would they win an award? I'm not even sure where they'd put them unless Tundra died and they replaced him with them and rebuild an entirely new enclosure over the space.

And if NYC politicians wants to try and pressure the zoo into getting what they want, maybe they should give back all the funding they cut from them.

14. ZooElephantMan

Yeah. If the politicians paid for all the panda costs then it would be fine.

15. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For all you panda lovers here's the response from the Executive Vice president of the WCS:
    Here's the article:Pandas May Be Headed To Bronx Zoo, If All The Stars Align: Gothamist

16. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

17. ThylacineAlive

Visited the zoo yesterday. It was a nice visit as it wasn't too crowded and it warmed up quite a bit as the day went on. Some highlights of the day were that the kiwi was out and about despite the presence of people watching and taking photos as well as one of the Pygmy Slow Lorises coming out into the open, though only for a short time.

News:
    -A pair of nest boxes have been added back into the empty enclosure in Madagascar!.
    -The zoo's Barred Owl has been moved into the aviary next to the sea lions.
    -The Andean Condor and Barred Owl aviaries were closed with the Andean Condor being moved to the Cinereous Vulture aviary and the vultures moving to the King Vulture aviary.
    -The Southern White-Faced Owls were taken off-exhibit for the winter.
    -One of the Cinereous Vultures had a small wound on its wing and the pair are no longer nesting with no sign of chicks.
    -The Little Egret has been moved to the Roseate Spoonbill enclosure, though I did not see the bird.
    -There were a lot more Magellanic Penguins then usual so I think the zoo got some more animals.
    -Despite what I've feared for a while now, one of the Guanay Cormorants are still alive and were out, though the animal seems quite old and had trouble moving much.
    -The herd of Lowland Nyala were in the small yard for some reason with yard being completely empty and the pool being drained.
    -The Aardvark enclosure had a couple more small mock termite mounds added to it.
    -A new mantis species has been added to JungleWorld, though I do not recall which.
    -A pair of Painted Batagur have been added to the main pool in JungleWorld.
    -5 male Geladas were out alone.
    -A Fischer's Lovebird has been added to the African aviary on the first floor of World of Birds.
    -A small display on bird smuggling has been set up by the caged macaw display
    -Both the Raggiana Birds-of-Paradise and Sulawesi Dwarf Hornbills seem to have gone off-show.
    -The second floor of World of Birds was randomly closed halfway through the day and right as I was walking up to it for unknown reasons.
    -All the monitor enclosures apart from the Blue Tree-Monitor were empty.
    -The African Rock Python seems to be gone and the pool in the enclosure has been covered.
    -The Malayan Tigers are once again off-exhibit, though hopefully just for the winter.

18. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Thylo,

I always noticed visiting in late fall/early winter you have less crowds and a lot of exhibits under renovation etc.

First: When I went to the zoo in October, I noticed an animal no one mentioned on here. On the squirrel monkey island was a crested screamer (unlabeled of course!).

For the empty Madagascar exhibit I do hope mouse lemurs will be back.
    Did you see the pygmy marmosets in Congo? I feel if the rock python died another will be brought in, I can't think what else would really work in that exhibit.

I wonder if maybe some simple renovations are happening at Birds of Prey or maybe some new species will be brought in.

It is great to hear about more penguins, were the little penguins still mixed in with other species in the Aquatic Bird Building?

Any new species in World or Reptiles or the Mouse House?

Hopefully sometime soon we will hear what exhibit will be next to be renovated.

19. ThylacineAlive

I think I have also seen that Crested Screamer, just forgot to report it.

I, too, hope the lemurs will go back on-exhibit.

The marmosets were off-exhibit so training according to a sign in the enclosure. A lot small nocturnal African animals could do well in the python enclosure.

More likely renovations for Birds of Prey than anything.

Yes the Little Blue Penguins are still mixed with the other birds.

Nothing new from World of Reptiles or Mouse House. The two enclosures at the end of WOR are still blocked off. However, the coverings are peeling a bit so you can peek through. The old batagur enclosure (left side) has heavy work being done in it while the Arrau River Turtle enclosure actually has animals in it:confused:

Also, not sure if I mentioned it from my last visit but the White-Naped Crane enclosure has been closed off since at least October.

20. ThylacineAlive

The zoo has rescued an Indian Cobra which stowed away on a ship headed for New Jersey. The snake was found dehydrated, cold, and exposed to oil residue and is being treated by the zoo's veterinarians. Its condition has improved since being treated.