Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 27 Dec 2014.

Tags:
  1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

wait a second, if the safari cart thing with the binocs and identification are located at baboon reserve, how is it located at the old antelope enclosures?

of course i could easily be missing info that would help answer my question.

2. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

The article was testing concepts in current exhibits in the Africa area. The safari cart, animal masks and dung beetle activities were all done in the Somba Village to test how visitors reacted to those elements.
    The idea of the antelope area being used for African Safari could be no longer; just remember it being referenced as the site for that new area. Maybe the entire space will be given to dung beetles.

3. savethelephant

thanks (ok this rule is really annoying!!!!:mad:)

4. savethelephant

that would have to be a lot of beetles and A LOT of dung:)

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I read it with interest. I wonder why feeding is only about giraffes? In my experience, feeding of other hoofstock and indeed, most animals is just as popular.

The authors seem at a loss why Hispanic people are not interested in Bronx Zoo style of exhibits. I guess that non-European cultures respond better to the group entertainment-type shows than exhibits based on variations of own exploration. I guess multi-generational Hispanic families from NY would enjoy animal show of the type of Singapore Zoo: sitting in an amphitheater and watching a presenter showing animals.

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well I'm personally pretty fond of the style;):p:D

~Thylo:cool:

7. savethelephant

really! so am I:D:eek:

8. savethelephant

Now the website says himalayn highlands will be open and closed sporadically

9. kaylob

kaylob New Member

World of birds second level is open and it looks great. It still has a very 70's vibe.
    They have a KEA which I don't remember seeing before.
    They refreshed the exhibits. They added a wood cover to the first exhibit as you walk in. Lots of African birds.

Himalayan highlands is still under repair. As you walk from the polar bears to Wild Asia the first enclosure has been closed since this time last year. Red panda was out however A few weeks ago there was a red panda in the old cages outside the mouse house.I did not see the snow leopards. I did not notice a lot of tracks in the enclosure so I don't think they've been out for a few weeks.

Really a shame they closed world of darkness. It was a great cold weather destination.

10. savethelephant

that's fantastic! so the entire half is open and do they have hornbills in there?

11. ThylacineAlive

Welcome to ZooChat:) Great to see another Bronx Zoo fan on here!

That's wonderful news about WOB! I didn't think it'd reopen until later this year so glad to hear it's finished sooner. Can you tell us more about what's different and changed? Maybe give a general species list if you can remember what you saw?

And the Kea were there for at least a year and a half before the closing, always thought they should have been given an outdoor space, though.

12. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zoo Chat kaylob!
    It is also good to hear the 2nd floor of the World of Birds is open. I guess it was only a minor refurbishment (new signage, painting) and fixing the ventilation systems. I was hopeful maybe some new species...
    I agree that this refurbishment would have been a good opportunity to move the kea to an outdoor and larger exhibit. Maybe the largest aviary in front of the old Bird House in Astor Court? Or renovate one of the old cages behind the monkey house?
    Kaylob, as you will find out posting on Zoo Chat we are all going to want specifics on what you saw at the World of Birds, unless Thylacinealive is going to run to the zoo to complete his Walk-through!
    And with the Himalayan Highlands? Any sign of damage to the snow leopard exhibits? I am assuming maybe the netting was damaged in one of the ice storms we have had.

13. ThylacineAlive

Yeah I was hoping for some new stuff as well.... But ah well, I'm sure at least one new species is in there, there always is!

Never thought of putting Kea in that Astor Court aviary but that's a pretty good place for them.

I'll likely write up a report of the floor for my walkthrough once I visit but not sure when that'll next be, probably April.

14. savethelephant

Houston just received 3 gorillas from Bronx which stayed at Louisville for 9 months prior to arriving at Houston

15. kaylob

kaylob New Member

Yes the hornbills are back in the same enclosure if I member it correctly.

16. kaylob

kaylob New Member

If I remember correctly the first northernmost snow leopard exhibit was damaged In a heavy snow storm around this time last year. Superficially it appear the netting collapsed. It appears they are replacing the fences around the enclosure as well.

17. savethelephant

did it look like it was extensive?

18. kaylob

kaylob New Member

Yes the netting looked pretty bad. The fence looked ok but I guess they budgeted the money to repair the fence as well.

19. ThylacineAlive

Do you know which hornbill species? I've seen two or three in there.

Also can you please give a quick run down of how the second floor looks and/or a species list?

20. savethelephant

Madagascar! is closed from February 23 to February 27. Probably just maintanence.