Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 27 Dec 2014.

Tags:
  1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

the notice for himalayan highlands is down on the website

2. savethelephant

this website is ridiculous! keeps changing back and forth
    Now it says closed from March 3- March 8

3. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

On Bronx Zoo twitter and from the Bronx Zoo director there is a picture of a red kangaroo ready for his "Close up". Could it be red kangaroos are joining the collection at the Bronx Zoo?

Bronx Zoo retweeted
    Jim Breheny ‏@JimBreheny Mar 1
    @julielmaher, red #kangaroo is ready for his #closeup @BronxZoo !
    Embedded image permalink

4. savethelephant

Where would they put it? the zoo is theme specific. Unless they put them in a solitary exhibit or something.

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Possible for the new Children's Zoo?

~Thylo:cool:

6. bigfoot410

Thylacinealive: I am of 4 minds about the red kangaroo:

1) I think it could be in quarantine at the Bronx for display in Prospect Park. I would love for a kangaroo mob to return to the now empty exhibit there.

2) If the kangaroo is for display at the Bronx; I cannot see any space for them at the Children's zoo. Even the old wallaby space (which is for mara and giant anteater) would be small.

3) However; the old Rare Animal Range is empty, could fit a large mob of red kangaroos and thematically is a blank space. Throw in the old wallaby mob from the Children's Zoo and the emu pair from WOB and you got a simple exhibit. However; I don't think this is likely.

4) Since it was an extreme close up of one animal. I am wondering if it is just one of the new Education animals. That would be sad unless you are lucky to spend time with him.

I guess we will find out. I did ask Jim and the zoo on Twitter if kangaroos were coming to the zoo. No answer

7. savethelephant

I suppose maybe it could also go near the butterfly garden or reptile house

8. savethelephant

The pygmy marmoset picture in congo was replaced by a picture of okapi

9. savethelephant

CGF closed from March 23 to 27

10. savethelephant

11. ThylacineAlive

I plan to visit the zoo tomorrow, anything anyone wants me to see or anything I should know that hasn't been posted on here yet?

I'm excited to finally see the second floor of WOB!

12. bigfoot410

Have a great time; it's going to be a nice day.
    It would be great to know the species on the 2nd floor of WOB
    Any new species in World of Reptiles and Mouse House
    Are the Crowned Lemurs labeled yet in Madagascar?
    Any peeks inside the new Children's Zoo (I know it isn't officially open until end of May) but I am wondering if the sloths and flamingos are going to be there.
    I look forward to hearing how the trip goes! I will be going at the beginning of May.

13. ThylacineAlive

Thanks!

Will certainly make sure to make note of any new species and changes. Though tbh I don't recall the original layout of the upper floor too well so might not be able to pick out changes. I'll try and write a review for it for my thread soon.

Should be easy to do, I always visit those exhibits:)

Pretty sure they already are. Thought I saw signs when I saw them anyway.

Not sure if I'll be visiting the barnyard because domestics don't really interest me but if I have some spare time I'll pop by. More likely I'll head around the back and try to peak over the back fence. With my height it should be easy enough:D:p

Excellent!

14. savethelephant

Yes actually,
    Check where maxwells duiker are
    How many ebony langurs there are
    Rhim gazelle/male nyala(which is there)
    If the malayan tigers are out
    How was your asian monorail ride
    and if they brought in African forest elephants yet;)
    Thank you in advance and have a great time at one of the best zoos in America:D

15. ThylacineAlive

The duikers have been in the Aardvark enclosure in the Carter Giraffe Building for my last couple visits (note that this information was in the last section of my walkthrough that you were so excited to read:p;))

Haven't seen those gazelles since 2011 so I will most certainly hope they're out!:D

Don't think I've ever seen the Malayan Tigers out apart from when they had cubs on display a few years back.

The monorail is still closed I believe. Though I'll still swing by just in case (and also to visit JungleWorld of course!)

16. ThylacineAlive

Well today was a great day! I saw pretty much everything minus the monorail (closed still), Children's Zoo (obviously still closed), and Tiger Mountain. I got a few lifeticks as always and I made note of quite a few changes along the way:

The species in the Mouse House were mostly the same as usual except the California Mice have been moved to the diurnal section and the Greater Egyptian Jerboa moved to the nocturnal one (though still were no-shows unfortunately). Bushy-Tailed Jirds were in the last enclosure on the left side of the nocturnal section as well. Probably the best news from the house, though, was the fact that the Malagasy Giant Rat was moved back into its old enclosure and is mixed with the Mohol Bushbabies (who finally have a sign) and the Western Spotted Skunks were put back into their enclosure:D

In World of Reptiles, a pair of Egyptian Tortoise are also on-show next to the alligator hatchling enclosure. The enclosure between the Shield-Tailed Agama and Northern Caiman Lizard was under repair and the last two enclosures were still closed. I could see into them both, though, and they both seem to be completely put together with animals inside. I could see a large heat lamp in the batagur enclosure.

Oddly I didn't see any signage for the Crowned Lemurs nor were they out. I have a feeling they alternate in the enclosure with the sifaka and the signage switches out. Unfortunately the enclosure that used to hold Henkel's Leaf-Tailed Gecko- which I was hoping would be replaced with the mouse lemurs- has been emptied out quite a bit and I'm a little worried the zoo has no plans to use it anytime soon.

I used my superior height skills to effortlessly look over the fence into the Children's Zoo and took a bunch of photos I'll upload later. I have to say, though, it doesn't look much different and the enclosures for squirrel monkey and anteater (didn't actually see which is for them but I saw all the enclosures in that area) look quite small so I'm a bit concerned. The Monk Parakeets, prairie dogs, and Red-Tailed Catfish (as well as what looked like a softshell turtle but couldn't get a photo or good look) were all in their enclosures as far as I could tell.

As usual the Maxwell's Duikers were in the Carter Giraffe Building (though I only saw one). I also spotted a pair of Common Dwarf Mongoose breeding so maybe pups in the near future.

I spotted 1.5 Javan Langurs still in JungleWorld. However, a couple of them don't look to be in very good shape... I noticed one of the females only had one eye. There are now two Mangrove Snakes and Frilled Lizards. I spotted a new lorikeet, a couple of Bali Mynahs, and some large yellow bird that I need to get IDed in the aviary as well. And does anyone know about the hornbill "Anthracoceros malabaricus" that's supposedly in the aviary. I've never seen them and it doesn't appear as though they're a valid species so I'm confused

I saw neither Slender-Horned Gazelles nor Lowland Nyala in the enclosure across from the Lions. The kudu were still no-shows frustratingly! Does anyone know if the zoo sent off some of their giraffe herd? None of the animals were inside but only a couple were on-exhibit. Of course, the rest could have just been off-exhibit somewhere.

Now it's time for the first of the two most exciting bits of news: Spring babies!
    -The Arabian Spiny Mice had a few young ones out today.
    -A pair of Radiated Tortoises were in the World of Reptiles nursery.
    -A couple of Yarrow's Spiny Lizards (Sceloporus jarrovi) were in the nursery as well.
    -It appeared as though the Silvered Leaf Monkeys had one or two babies.
    -Seems another Mandrill has been born (the troops was actually up in the trees for a bit but then went right up against the glass so there were good views all around).
    -There is now a third gorilla baby! This one is still holding onto mom but the older two are beginning to run around on their own now which is plenty exciting for zoo visitors.
    -The White-Naped Crane pair have an egg.
    -There is an Australian Magpie chick in the World of Birds nursery (I'll get to that one in a second).
    -And most exciting in my book is there's a Gelada baby! I was afraid the zoo was going to let them die off cause the troop has seemingly dwindled down to 1.4 but hopefully this helps show they're still interested in them. Fingers crossed the zoo gets more from San Diego's import.

And now let's talk about the second floor of World of Birds:
    The layout is the same as when it closed with no new enclosures and only a couple new species but it was still great to be back up there again! The African walkthrough aviary is the first enclosure and they build a wooden overhang over the pathway which is kind of annoying viewing wise but there's still a lot to see. This aviary was packed and full of action, though of course the majority of the species went unlabeled. The species I saw were Bearded Barbet, Great Blue Turaco, Speckled Mousebird, African Pygmy Goose, Southern Bald Ibis, Lady Ross' Turaco, Amethyst Starling, White-Crested Hornbill, Superb Starling, an unidentified starling which I think I got a photo of, and a couple unidentified turacos which I believe were Red-Crested Turacos. Next was the South American walkthrough which, despite its size, was almost completely empty. I only saw Grey-Winged Trumpeter, Guira Cuckoo, and what I think were Blue-Billed Curassows. Kind of disappointing considering all three species are exhibited on the first floor of the building. Next was the Kea enclosure. Then the two upper level views of the two Asian jungle aviaries that can be seen from the lower floor. I couldn't spot the Sulawesi Dwarf Hornbills but there was a Pink Pigeon in the first one instead. Next was an enclosure that housed multiple Ocellated Turkeys. Plate-Billed Mountain Toucan and Andean Cock-of-the-Rock were also labeled but weren't on-exhibit. Up next was a pair of Oriental Pied Hornbills. After this an enclosure featuring Hyacinth Macaws, White-Tailed Trogon, Black-Faced Ibis, Blue-Crowned Motmot, another Ocellated Turkey, Capuchinbird, and a couple of what were probably Blue-Headed Macaws. Next was a Great Blue Turaco enclosure. Black-Capped Social Weaver was listed but wasn't on-exhibit. After this was the final enclosure featuring Toco Toucans. The floor of the enclosure had a small fenced off area with a separate food dish and a little nest box so something might be down there but I didn't see anything. Now the only new feature to the upper floor is a small room right before the exhibit that gives a peak into the off-show bird space. Right by the window are three little enclosures that work as nurseries for different baby birds just like in WOR. Only one was occupied today and it had the magpie chick I mentioned earlier in it. The room goes back further and has multiple off-show bird cages but a trio of pesky signs about baby bird care blocked off the view of most of these:p

17. bigfoot410

Sounds like a great day Thylacinealive!

For the Mouse House: that is an interesting mix the jumping rats and bushbabies. I am also glad the spotted skunks are back. I guess the fat tailed dwarf lemurs are off exhibit now.

WOR; Egyptian tortoises are not that interesting; especially knowing the rare turtles they have behind the scenes. Was the horned viper on exhibit still? I am still surprised the last two exhibits are still closed off, especially since they have the animals inside. Was the old alligator snapping turtle the one under repair?

Madagascar: Too bad the sifakas and crowned lemurs can't be together. Hopefully soon something will go into the empty Madagascar exhibit and I agree it should be a mouse or dwarf lemur.

For the new Children's Zoo: it always looked like a minor renovation. I hope the giant anteater/mara, squirrel monkey, sloth and coati exhibits aren't too small. I am still waiting for a new major Bronx Zoo exhibit (Tiger Mountain, Butterfly Garden or Baboon Reserve quality) instead of what they have done the last 2-3 years.

Jungle World: The Javan langurs did so well when they first came to the zoo (several babies), but after the otter incident I don't think they bred again. The silver leaf langurs seem to breed almost every year though. As for the free flying birds; I have been surprised by new species from time to time and have seen lorikeets before.

Mandrill, gelada and gorilla babies are exciting. I think the zoo has more than 5 geladas; I swore I saw 3 males last year. I remember 10 years ago they had two full troops and a 3rd troop started to break away. A new baby is very welcome.

As expected, the 2nd floor was a minor renovation. The African aviary had no more hammerkops or congo peacocks? The hammerkops used to be the easiest to see with the giant nest right next to the path. As for the South American aviary; scarlet ibis, sun bitterns, various tanagers, mot-mots are likely still in there. The Hyacinth macaw exhibit sounds really crowded now- another macaw species, ibis etc... The Pied hornbills are new to that area (used to be in Jungle World). However; the nursery area sounds great. The old WOB had a nursery way back in the day. Was the sinage at least updated throughout?

Were the lion and tiger adolescents still out? Did you see the snow leopard cubs from last year? Did you find the elephant skeleton?

Thanks for the update!

18. ThylacineAlive

The skunks are a favorite of mind and are so funny to watch:D It was never dwarf lemurs I don't think, I believe they were Grey Mouse Lemurs like what used to be in Madagascar!. Unless I'm mistaken in which case I'm very upset I never spotted them!!

Yes I know! What I want to see is that softshell turtle that's supposedly in the JungleWorld tank! Horned viper? When you say old alligator snapping turtle enclosure do you mean the one that was at the end of the house? In which case that was the one with the batagur and heat lamp inside.

The coati enclosure will be the old squirrel monkey (and previously lemur) enclosure so it should be fine for them. I wonder if they're getting Central Park's coatis. Yes I want that as well. Though I'd settle for them either doing something with those empty enclosures in African Plains and/or reopening the Monkey House with something!

Such a shame.. Don't think too many other places in the US keep them anymore...

Yeah just a few years ago the zoo had quite a lot of Geladas but I think they started dying off of old age rather quickly. My last two or three visits I've only seen these 5 adults. Hopefully they do have more, though!

Signage was there for both but I didn't see them so didn't list them. Hammerkops were in the Aquatic Bird House and peafowl in CGF, though.

No signage for Scarlet Ibis but I think there was for Sunbittern, motmot, and Blue-Grey Tanager but again didn't see any sign of them. Yeah it was a bit. The hornbills were there on my last two or three trips before the second floor closed. I had presumed they came from Prospect Park. Yes for the most park the signage was updated a bit.

The Lions were and I didn't see the tigers. The main Snow Leopard enclosure is still closed but I believe I saw the cubs in the third one laying on top of each other. And yes I did! It's largely rotted away now but it's a surreal thing to see. I took several photos that I'll upload eventually.

19. bigfoot410

For several years above the jumping rats were a couple nest boxes and branches that held the dwarf lemurs. They were never labeled (surprise surprise!). This was at the same time the mouse lemurs were still in Madagascar.

WOR- Or was it a puff adder; there was some new species in the old Aruba Island rattlesnake exhibit. And the alligator snapping turtle (a smaller one) used to be in the corner tank next to caimen lizard tank. That exhibit held tentacled snakes before too.

It is sad they let the African elephant skeleton get overgrown; it was a great education piece. Maybe if it was in a more prominent place.

I am going to try and time my visit for the new Children's Zoo opening; but again thanks for the updates!

20. ThylacineAlive

You know what you're right! I actually do remember seeing one once but never got a photo and just figured it was a mouse lemur. How exciting:D Thank you for informing me!

I recall what you're talking about but I'm not sure it was ever resolved what it was. I believe it was still there but still unlabeled. Oh yes, that was the enclosure under repair.

Agreed. Yeah the gazelle enclosure isn't a very well visited area.

No problem! And I look forward to seeing/hearing how it turns out.