Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by savethelephant, 13 Jan 2016.

1. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

This is one of your more ludicrous posts. Not a huge fan of hoofstock, myself, but am being swayed to the "dark side". For them to boot all their hoofstock would be silly, and won't happen. There needs to be a captcha or some other restraint put on before you and others hit "post". :p

Last edited: 19 Jul 2016
  2. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

I know they are but would they do so without the elephants? Isn't the ride being the only way to see the elephants the main draw to the ride? Yes I love seeing so many Asian hoofstock species in state-of-the-art habitats but does that drive in the average visitor? Could you see hippos coming to the zoo.

3. GraysonDP

What about chimps or orangutans?

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think so. There are also rhinos and tigers to draw people, as well as the fact that people enjoy riding the monorail. I think the fact that these hoofstock are only viewable from the monorail aids to its success. They're mostly deer but you only see them for a few moments at a time, and then you move on to other species. Not to mention the conductor has interesting facts and conservation stories for many of the species. It's as much of a ride as it is a way to view animals. The elephants are a plus but I don't think they're the main reason for people paying to ride, especially when the cost is only $5.

As for hippos I doubt it. I could potentially see Pygmy Hippos being added to CGF if they went out of Red River Hog and created a pool. Don't think it'll happen, though.

You could potentially put Bonobo or chimps in the second gorilla yard as they never seem to use it. You'd need to do a renovation on it and the indoor areas probably, though.

~Thylo:cool:

5. GraysonDP

Gulo Gulo can you please stop attacking my posts and putting rude, patronizing comments after things I say on this site? You have your opinions but I have mine too. Also I love hoofstock and was just suggesting it as a way to give more space to the elephants.

6. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

I do agree that it would be ideal for the zoo to commit to displaying Asian elephants in a modern area (either as part of Wild Asia or in its own area), but I really don't think that is part of any master plan.
    In the early 1980's an Antarctic penguin exhibit was planned for the old bird house in Astor Court; however I think that plan predated them taking over the Central Park Zoo and as Thylacine said- they got the Antarctic exhibit.

The African safari area that has been mentioned would take over the unused area of the African Plains- giraffe feedings, dung beetles and other "4-d" attractions were discussed in no major detail other then sounding like almost another Children's Zoo with an African theme. With new people at the top and in hopefully better financial standing; who knows if this exhibit will proceed or something else be built.

Another great ape species, hippos, bears and/or additional big cat species would all be welcomed- but I have heard no rumors.
    If I were to take a guess at an area for redevelopment I am going to go with the World of Darkness building. However; I don't think it will be as a Nocturnal building. I can't see them keep the building that isn't significantly historic and not redevelop. I think the old Monkey House will also eventually be restored; but Madagascar and Zoo Center renovations were at a great cost due to how historic the buildings are.

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Arctic Penguins!!!!! Hold the phone! Amazing discovery! :p :D

8. ThylacineAlive

Been known for a few years now actually:p And Central Park has the only captive colony!:D

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. Gulo gulo

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For the next 2 weeks I will be going to the zoo for a special summer program (Summer Camp - Bronx Zoo Wildlife careers) so if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to find out/ask for you :)

14. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm jealous!

15. ThylacineAlive

New plans!:p

16. GraysonDP

Does anyone know how many acres the African Plains section is

17. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

I would say around 12 acres (underestimate)
    Nyala yard- around 2 acres
    Lion island- .75 acre
    Empty yards (2)- around 2 acres total
    Zebra yard- 2.5-3 acres
    Hyena yard- under .5 acre
    Wild dog yard- around .5-.75 acre
    Giraffe yard- 2-2.5 acre
    Gazelle/antelope yard- 3 acres or so.
    This is not counting off exhibit space or visitor space.

18. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting news and sad news:
    The sad news is that after asking quite a few workers, they all said after Patty or Maxine dies, they will be phasing out elephants
    Interesting new is the reason for the fake cock-of-the-rocks is because there's only one pair and as the males have a lek system, the female didn't want to mate so they put fake ones so the real male is more attractive

19. Gulo gulo

Glad to hear. Saves millions upon millions for a new exhibit complex that isn't really needed. Money can be spent elsewhere for conservation. They do not need to have elephants on exhibit, just because they're expected to. Zoos change. Those expecting elephants can kick rocks.

20. ThylacineAlive

What about Happy and the surviving Patty or Maxine? Will they be moved elsewhere?

The zoo must have lost a pair then because I saw 2.2 when they first went on exhibit a few years ago.