Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by savethelephant, 13 Jan 2016.

1. Clem

Clem Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I went 2 times in the Sea Bird Aviaray and I don't think having seen them (maybe one stuck in a corner, away from the path)

I went also 3 times at the ocellated turkey and there is a sign for cock-of-the-rock but I haven't seen them ...

Is there an outside exhibit for aardvark ?

2. Clem

Thank you :)

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's really bizarre, I'm sorry you missed so many of the odd species here. Hope you still found your visit worth it.

There is not, no.

~Thylo:cool:

4. Clem

Sure it was worth, it was my first big american zoo ! It was a great day for me
    I also didn't see the ring-tailed mongoose exhibit, I don't know if it was by inattention ..?
    Hum ok so the Maxwell's duikers can't go outside ?

5. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The ring-tailed mongoose are in a side enclosure by the ring tailed lemur, they're separated by a thin net. (Across from the tortoise/lizard exhibit)
    Photo taken by uszoo

Attached Files:

Last edited: 28 Aug 2016
  6. Clem

How is it possible to miss it ?? ^^

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. ThylacineAlive

I visited the zoo today and had a very lovely visit as usual.

First off, I also didn't see the Guanay Cormorant, Andean Cocks-of-the-Rock, or the Maxwell's Duikers, though a keeper told me they are still at the zoo but are off-show again... I did, however, see a single young Maleo despite their signage now being gone. Also finally saw the Red-Flanked Duiker and Southern Lesser Kudus on-exhibit, ironically on my first visit to the zoo after I saw these species for the first time in other zoos this summer:p

Golden-Headed Lion Tamarins are with the Bolivian Grey Titis and Grey-Winged Trumpeter in World of Birds instead of the Golden Lion Tamarins, though those were outside the Mouse House along with Cotton-Top Tamarins, White-Faced Sakis, Goeldi's Monkeys, and more Golden-Headed Lion Tamarins and Bolivian Grey Titis.

There's now a pair of Golden-Headed Quetzals and 1.2 Green Junglefowl in WOB. Also new are a pair of Asian Fairy-Bluebirds (I think they're new), Silver-Beaked Tanagers, Saffron Finches, Black-and-White Seedeaters, Ruddy-Breasted Seedeaters, Cuban Grassquits, Red-Crested Cardinals, and at least one other unsigned tanager. All but the fairy-bluebirds are in the big South American walk-in on the second floor. There's also a Military Macaw chick in the nursery and a White-Throated Bee-Eater chick in enclosure. There also appear to be two more tortoise species, though both unsigned. I have photos of both for eventual ID, though I think one of the species was Asian Brown Tortoise.

The signage has been removed for the Ring-Tailed Vontsiras, though they were both still on-exhibit.

There are now four Aldabra Giant Tortoises, two which are obviously quite younger than the original two.

The old snapping turtle enclosure in World of Reptiles, which has sat empty for years now, has finally reopened as a pretty nice Chinese Crocodile Lizard enclosure. Smooth-Sided Toad has been added to the Green Anaconda and Cane Toad enclosure. There's a pair of dwarf crocodile and a pair of Blue Tree Monitor hatchlings in the nursery, though I didn't see them. The old Lace Monitor enclosure by the snake-necked turtles is being redeveloped for Grand Cayman Iguana.

Long-Tailed Finches, Double-Barred Finches, and Star Finches have been added to the Butterfly Garden, and those unidentified ring-necked doves turned out to be Eurasian Collared Doves according to a keeper.

While I didn't see it, Buff-Crested Bustard has apparently been added to the Pheasant Aviaries mixed with Crested Coua and Superb Starling.

Dorcus titanus, a giant stag beetle, as been added to Jungle World. There's now a pair of Prevost's Squirrels and the Silvered Leaf Monkeys were off-exhibit. There was also only one Malayan Tapir.

There are now four Indian Muntjac (at least) on the Wild Asia Monorail.

No Malayan Tiger cubs or Malayan Tigers of any kind out today.

No Geladas oddly.

Only three Brown Bears.

The Tawny Frogmouth has been moved to Birds of Prey.

Now perhaps for the biggest news, the Aquatic Bird House is currently closed for renovations.

Some fun facts posted in the nursery in World of Birds:
    -The zoo was the first to rear a Guam Kingfisher in captivity.
    -The zoo has hatched over 145 Bali Mynah chicks since the 1970's.
    -The zoo has hatched over 40 Lesser Birds-of-Paradise chicks since 1990.
    -In 15 years, 10,000(!!) Maleo chicks have hatched at WCS-managed sites and released into the wild.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2016
  9. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know of any upcoming large scale projects the zoo may be planning?

Also, is anyone aware of the zoo's long term plans with polar bears and elephant? Elephants i know are being phased out-will this be in due time after the collection passes on or will the zoo ship out any of the girls?

Are polar bears also slated to be phased out?

10. ThylacineAlive

Reading this might be of some help:
    http://www.zoochat.com/22/wcs-zoos-stagnation-457292/

11. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

It's great to hear many of the updates from your trip. I am going to the zoo this Sunday so hoping for nice weather.

1) Are all those birds new to WOB? I feel like most of those species have been there before, but possibly were unsigned.
    2) Dwarf crocodiles in the nursery?? That would be a new species, unless they are dwarf caimen. I am also glad to hear about some new species including the iguana and crocodile lizard.
    3) The Geladas- they sometimes are in the very back of the exhibit, out of sight. I will look for them this weekend.
    4) I wish they would reopen the Monkey House. We know the capuchins are in there, and it's great the other smaller monkey species (goeldi's, cotton tops, golden lions, saki and titi) are out alongside the Mouse House- but year round the house would be great.
    5) I still have not seen the little penguins in their exhibit so I hope the Aquatic Bird Building isn't closed for long!
    6) Still two male lesser kudus? Were the slender horned gazelle out?
    7) The two additional Aldabras may have been the older ones from the CZ. They used to have two there in the current Scalata exhibit.
    8) Was the Asian Brown Tortoise at WOB? Was the Bird eating spider in the exhibit now?
    9) Great to hear a new species in the Phesant aviary, I've never seen that bustard species before.

12. ThylacineAlive

Thanks! It was a nice day and will likely be my last for a long while since I won't be renewing my membership for personal reasons outside of the zoo world so glad it was a nice temporary end note. Hope your visit is good, too!

1) The tanagers, seedeaters, grassquit, and fairy-bluebirds were in WOB, yes.
    2) Definitely dwarf crocodile, they were labeled as O. t. tetraspis. They're against the right wall close to the floor in a long tank that isn't all in view.
    4) Yeah that would be very wonderful. It's sad to still see visitors not realize it closed and try to go in. The capuchins can still be viewed from behind the house, of course. I'm pretty sure the building is used for off-show atm.
    5) I'm curious to see if they're going to change anything during this time. I'd love to know about the status of the Storm's Stork egg, too!
    6) Yep, just two males. No, only a single Red-Flanked Duiker was out in that enclosure.
    7) Scalata? You mean Sulcata? Where are they, I've never seen them. Also, I've never seen Aldabras at the zoo before until the two larger animals. The new pair are still very large, just a bit smaller so I doubt they would have fit anywhere in the CZ in recent years.
    8) Yes and yes.
    9) They're quite a nice species, the enclosure is quite well done as well. Lots of small grasses and shrubs.

13. bigfoot410

There used to be a small tortoise exhibit in front of the CZ bathrooms that had a pair of young Aldabras a few years ago and I think last year had a couple of Sulcatas. It's a low walled exhibit right before the desert area.

Maybe the storm egg hatched and that is why the exhibit was locked? There is really no way to avoid that exhibit entering the building.

14. ThylacineAlive

That enclosure is still there I believe but I've never seen anything in it. Sure it wasn't the young Galapagos that used to also be in WOR? These Aldabrans wouldn't fit in the one I'm thinking of.

I don't think that's the reason. It seems like a lot of their chicks are just brought off-exhibit once they hatch and it seems like a huge loss to close off the penguins (who also have a chick which is suppose to be on-exhibit) and the rest of the building for this one birth. The sign said it was for renovations anyhow.

15. ThylacineAlive

According to the zoo's FB the Aquatic Bird House has reopened. They didn't say why it closed initially, however.

16. bigfoot410

Just got back from a brisk day at the Bronx Zoo; overall it was a good visit- some exhibits were incredibly active with a lot of inhabitants, while unfortunately with two cold evenings all tropical animals were brought in (squirrel monkeys, marmoset and tamarins, sloth, king vulture, scoops owl)

1) I think due to the cold weather, I also did not get to see the the tiger cubs. All three snow leopard exhibits were being utilized at least.

2) World Of Birds- 3 Maleo and a pair of Cock-of-the-rock were back in display. The Hyacinth Macaws were nesting and overall a lot of activity (especially in the African Forest).

3) Wild Asia- I forget how large the herds are for the Sambar, Brown-antlered deer, axis deer and Barasingha deer are. However; in the Sambar exhibit was a pair of red crowned crane I was surprised to see them and the driver did not point them out, but they were in the small stream running through the center.

4) Jungle World- it is hard to see the fruit bats in the tree kangaroo exhibit so I wonder if any visitors even notice them. I did see the Indian Flying fox in the last exhibit. A couple of terrariums were closed for renovation- the old Mangrove Snake enclosure being one. The Mangrove snake are now in the old Frilled dragon exhibit. The Giant millipede also seemed to have an expanded (and darkened) exhibit.

5) Madagascar- Crowned lemurs were out, finally saw 6 red ruffed lemurs active- however several terrariums were empty. A small snake species is in the old tenrc enclosure, mouse lemurs and ground boa not out. Ring tailed mongoose signs have been removed and I did not see them, I hope they have not left the collection.

6) Carter Giraffe Building was closed for work, probably just a clean-up before winter.

7) Congo- There is a brand new baby Colobus, and a new small turtle species where the fire skink used to be. Pygmy Marmosets are also off exhibit again. Mandrill troop were interacting with the hogs and seemed to be getting along. No signs of the Debrazza monkeys.

8) Buff-crested bustard was out with a flock of crested couas and a pair of kenyan crested guinea fowl.

9) Only 2 geladas and 1 brown bear were out.

10) New signage for Patagonian cavy and Crested Screamer at the CZ.

11) World Of Reptiles- the new exhibits look great! Caimen lizards certainly have a lot more space. Chinese alligator exhibit also was fixed up with more plantings. Saw a new species of snake (a python species) that will need ID- it was in the old Timor Python exhibit. They are starting construction across from the Lace Monitor-there is a hole in the building on that side, maybe a new exhibit or something?

12) Lastly- the Aquatic Bird Building had reopened- no storm stork egg or nest- but two highlights of the day- Blue Penguins decided to emerge from their burrows and the kiwi was feeding alongside the glass so I finally got a great view! Two exhibits were closed for renovation.

Still no signs of anything major being built; hopefully soon will hear something regarding a new exhibit.

17. ThylacineAlive

Glad to hear more Maleos and the cock-of-the-rock are out! The African enclosure is usually a very active one.

The snake is a Malagasy Tree Boa, and the Ring-Tailed Vontsira signs were gone when I visited as well, but they were still on-exhibit. I hope this doesn't mean they're leaving as well! They're one of my favorite species at the zoo.

Did you photograph the turtle?

18. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What were pygmy marmosets doing in the Congo exhibit?! Do they still have a Goliath beetle on exhibit?

19. ThylacineAlive

I think it's suppose to be some comparison between large and small primates. I don't think I've seen them on-exhibit more than twice, though.

They had two on my last visit.

20. bigfoot410

Yes DavidBrown; the pygmy marmoset exhibit was built to show comparison between the largest and smallest primate. I agree that it doesn't 100% fit and I have rarely ever seen them on exhibit.

As for the Goliath beetles, yes they were on exhibit in Congo. Between Jungle World and Congo the Bronx Zoo has several different beetle species.