Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 6 Jan 2017.

Tags:
  1. Okapi Lover

Okapi Lover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not a good week for polar bears in the US it seems.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well Polar Bears are in very bad shape in the US so there won't be any bears available even if the zoo wants them.

~Thylo

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can't argue with that. In this past week Tundra at Bronx and Aussie at Brookfield have deceased. Even though they were both far past breeding age, its still an unfortunate loss. We also just lost Kobe at Lincoln Park a couple weeks back, who was brought in specifically for breeding purposes. If some major breeding doesn't take place in the next few years, this could be the beginning of the end for polar bears in US zoos.

5. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is hardly the "beginning of the end" of the American polar bear population. The loss of two geriatric, non-breeding males, one of which was very well represented, does nothing to reduce the viability of the population (and on that note, males polar bears never reach a point where the are "too old to breed". The deceased breeding male at Toledo being a prime example of this)

The us is suffering from a lack of both breeding females, and males that successfully sire offspring. Fortunately there are several younger bears not yet mature and some newly paired animals, I would say the American population is looking the best it has in the past 10 or so years. With good management, and a little luck, the polar bear population will very much likely be around for at least another 3-4 generations.

AnaheimZoo, MeiLover, Grant and 2 others like this.
  6. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Are there any thoughts or ideas what could or should go into the current polar bear exhibit? I do hope it goes through some major renovations before hosting a new species.

7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have several ideas for what to do with the former Polar Bear exhibit. Maybe a species that is equally charismatic. Since it is near a Brown Bear exhibit, maybe it could become a Japanese exhibit complex, with Japanese Macaques as the main exhibit, with some side exhibits for Leopard Cats, Wild Boars, and an aviary for Izu Thrush and Okinawa Rail (along with other Japanese songbirds). Nearby, a mountain stream with Giant Salamander could be nice, as well as an exhibit for Sika Deer. Or, an extension to the Himalayan Highlands with exhibits for Takins and Binturongs.

Kifaru Bwana and Loxodonta Cobra like this.
  8. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another exhibit for Japanese Macaques in Northern USA?

Not my taste. If there is no way(!) to keep Polar Bears in a new, extended exhibit, then I would transform it into one for Wolverines. That would fit perfectly with the "adjected" Grizzly exhibit OR with the nearby Northern Ponds/Tiger Mountain to a Siberian theme.

A transformation to an extension of the Himalayan Highlands would be a good idea imo too. But I don't know if there is enough space for a group of Takins then. Binturongs are fine in Jungle World (if this hasn't changed since my last visit), so I see no need for another exhibit (beside the chance that they could enjoy "fresh air").

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

Are those Japanese birds even kept in US zoos?

I definitely agree on a Wolverine enclosure. @zoomaniac when was your last visit to the zoo?

~Thylo

10. zoomaniac

About 5, 6 years ago (must check at home for the correct datas).

11. ThylacineAlive

Oh well the zoo hasn't had Binturong in JW since at least 2011 I think (at least I didn't see any sign of them when I first started going that year) but they do now have Palawan Binturong off-exhibit, which is why I asked when you went as I was hoping you'd say recently meaning they went on-show :p

~Thylo

12. zoomaniac

Sorry, no :D. But as I can see, my estimate is correct more or less...

My best memory to Bronx Zoo was during my second visit, as I was standing at one of the outside enclosures of the Elephant House and saw - completely unexpected - Rapunzel! I don't know if I was ever more excited seeing an animal as in this moment. Oh, those good old times....

13. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What could be a charismatic species from Japan? I think it is a highly unexplored exhibit region, much like Minnesota's Russia's Grizzly Coast, or Houston's Galapagos Sea Lion Complex.

14. jpc323

jpc323 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Tanukis are pretty charismatic. Japanese black bears would be a natural fit for the exhibit.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

I doubt the zoo would obtain any Asiatic black bear species since they are being phased out of AZA zoos. Could I see the exhibit being renovated and hold North American black bears, certainly. Wolverines would also be a good fit thematically and with an exhibit renovation. If the exhibit could be topped with mesh Amur leopards could also work well. Those are my top three likely choices. I thought maybe wolves or dholes, but it's not enough space and I'm not sure how far they could expand the exhibit.

I don't think the entire area would be able to hold a large thematic area like a Japanese exhibit. There is space around the exhibit that could be utilized, but it will likely be a renovation of the current exhibit for one species. Japanese macaques would be charismatic, but as a main highlight of the CPZ, I think it's likely a smaller bear or carnivore species will be held here. Or a new "rock playground" for $6 entry.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Banking off what the others have said I think a remodeled wolverine exhibit would work well. Maybe with a side exhibit for sage grouse with a predator prey esque theme that the zoo does well with.

StoppableSan and ThylacineAlive like this.