Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 6 Jan 2017.

Tags:
  1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I forgot I worked on their Wikipedia page, that was well over a year ago :p I updated the exhibits for the most part but never fully finished, as well as updated and expanded most of the page including reformatting. Most of the history stuff I added, as well as a lot of their conservation and controversy stuff. I never did finish everything I wanted to do, which including a very in-depth history section and more into their science and captive breeding programs, but I decided to walk away as the people who run Wikipedia are very fussy and they deleted several updates of mine multiple times sometimes as "spam" and other times because the factual information violated one of their codes here or there. I've also become very busy since then ;)

I think I also touched up other zoo pages including Beardsley Zoo and, I think, Central Park as well as some severely outdated and incorrect animal pages.

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Really? A year ago? Has it been that long since I went on the Zoo's Wiki? :eek:

Either way, I must say I am impressed with [and grateful for] the information you've added to it - before reading, I'd honestly no idea that the Bronx was the only zoo in the States to exhibit ring-tailed vontsiras, as well as the only zoo outside of South America currently with guanay cormorants. Newfound appreciation for both of those species! (Also, what happened with Walsrode's guanays?)

The historical information was also a welcome addition; it was surprising learning of all of the Zoo's former inhabitants, among other things. All in all, I think most of us can agree that the Zoo's Wiki is now more informative than its official website ever has been. :D

Also, regarding your first post on this thread, Thylo, do you know what the Sanford's dwarf hornbill's scientific name is? When I looked it up online, I only saw African species of hornbills. Now, JungleWorld hasn't always stuck to their geographic theme 100%, but West African species? It seems like they're really pushing the envelope now. :p

One last thing: there's a good chance I'll be visiting this weekend, and if not this weekend, there's a 100% chance I will the next. Is there anything anyone wants me to check up on? I'm definitely heading to JungleWorld to try and see those gharials, especially since I haven't visited the exhibit in what feels like over a year. The World of Reptiles, Mouse House, and Aquatic Bird House/Sea Bird Aviary are all currently on my agenda, but I can always make some changes to it if you guys need me to. (I may also visit the World of Birds - been real fascinated with birds-of-paradise lately and may want to take a quick gander at the Zoo's Lesser BOPs, but I'm not entirely sure atm.)

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe they just passed of old age. The arrived there in 1999 and the last passed in 2014. I think Bronx's arrived around the same time.
    That's very convenient timing for me! I will (hopefully) be visiting Bronx in April and was going to start a thread about it, but I now have almost everything sorted out except a few species.
    Are these species currently on exhibit? I'll try to list the exhibit they'd be in if I know:
    Siberian musk deer
    Maxwell's duiker (I know it was mentioned they were off exhibit but that could have changed)
    Mohol bushbaby (Mouse House)
    Mountain peacock pheasant (Astor Court as far as I know)
    Chaco chachalaca (World of Birds, if you visit)
    Sunbirds
    Green peafowl (JungleWorld or World of Birds)
    Steamer ducks (Sea Bird Aviary)
    Guanay cormorant (hopefully still alive! Sea Bird Aviary)

I'd really appreciate it if you can help with those! If anyone else could help, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

4. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I have visited in December. The only species on your list that I saw were the bush babies in the Mouse House, the peacock pheasant (in the pheasantry), and the Guanay cormorant.

jayjds2 likes this.
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that would probably be the Sulawesi dwarf hornbill Penelopides exarhatus. One of the subspecies is sanfordi.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. AnaheimZoo

Wow, they live longer than I expected! Thylo did say the Bronx's Guanay was looking a little rough last time he saw it, though, so I imagine its time might be coming soon.

Ummm, well if I remember correctly, the Zoo has tufted deer on their Wild Asia Monorail. I don't know about Siberian musk deer, though.

As zoo_enthusiast said, you can probably still find the mountain peacock pheasants at the row of Pheasant Aviaries around the corner from Congo Gorilla Forest. I've seen them there several times over the years.

As for the others, I'll be sure to keep an eye out!

jayjds2 likes this.
  7. AnaheimZoo

Ah, thank you, Chlidonias. I wasn't aware of their other common names or subspecies - I've only ever known Penelopides exarhatus as the Sulawesi tarictic hornbill.

8. ThylacineAlive

As mentioned above, the zoo does not have musk-deer (unfortunately).
    Afaik the duiker are off-exhibit, though if Anaheim could check that'd be wonderful.
    Mohol Bushbaby are still in the Mouse House.
    The peacock-pheasant is in the Pheasant Aviaries.
    No chachalaca on-show at Bronx atm.
    I have not seen either sunbird species in some time and the signage is gone so I suspect they've left.
    The peafowl are long gone I believe, probably moved to Central Park.
    I have not seen the steamer ducks in years.
    I suspect the cormorant is only about in cooler weather as that's the only times I've seen it recently so you may be in luck! Fingers crossed for you!

@AnaheimZoo if you go to World of Birds, check if any of the seedeaters are on-exhibit on the second floor please.

Glad to see what hard work I did is appreciated :) Chlidonias is correct on the hornbill.

AnaheimZoo and jayjds2 like this.
  9. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the help, all of you! I do plan to for-sure visit Central Park as well, but I'm not sure about any other collections yet. I'm going to dedicate about a day and a half to Bronx, will that be enough time to see it all?

And two species I missed mentioning earlier:
    Chinese bamboo partridge
    White-crested hornbill

AnaheimZoo and ThylacineAlive like this.
  10. AnaheimZoo

Oh, a day and a half should be great! I only usually visit once every few months, so when I go, I have to skip over several exhibits and then just visit those that I missed the next time I come. But if you are able to split the Zoo up over 2 days and visit for, say 10-11 hours total, I think you should be able to see everything.

I've seen the white-crested hornbill in the World of Birds on my last few visits. I've also seen them in Congo Gorilla Forest before, but that was a few years back. Not sure if it was just an individual being moved from one exhibit to the other or if the Bronx has multiple. Thylo can probably answer in regards to the Chinese bamboo partridge.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2017
  11. ThylacineAlive

Central Park can be paired with any one of the other collections if you're traveling by subway. I've also paired it with the American Museum of Natural History. Depends on how much you like to take your time. I'd imagine that's enough time if most species are showy, but why not just spend two whole days there and have time for revisits?

The partridge is mixed with the Lesser BOP but is sometimes in the aviaries by the sea lion pool.

The hornbill is in the African aviary on the second floor of World of Birds, as well as at Central Park.

Just a tip, there are White-Throated Capuchins still exhibited behind the old Monkey House in Astor Court if you're interested.

~Thylo

12. ThylacineAlive

Oh and definitely check to see if the Black Skimmer is still alive in the Aquatic Bird House. It's been pointed out to me that skimmers don't tend to do well in captivity for it may well have died by now..

~Thylo

13. AnaheimZoo

@ThylacineAlive I'm leaning towards adding WoB to my visit - the Hell with it. :D It's bittersweet saying that though because I must have visited it on each of my last... 4 or 5 visits, and it's extremely hard for me NOT to spend over an hour in there. :mad::D Birds are extremely fascinating to me so I have an absolutely wonderful time every time I walk through there, but on the other hand, it's so disheartening when I realize I've spent such a long time in one area of the Zoo and now have to rush to/through the rest of the exhibits I want to see. :p

As for those capuchins out back behind the Monkey House, what are my chances of seeing them out on exhibit on, say, a 50-degree day? I imagine they're like the other warm-weather animals in that it has to be a certain temperature for them to be let out?

And I'll definitely keep my eye out for that Skimmer. I'm hopeful that it's still alive - it'd be a first for me. (I don't get out much, haha.)

14. ThylacineAlive

WOB is a very hard place to not spend too much time in :p I suspect you'll enjoy it, though, considering how much was moved around as of my last visit and I can only suspect more has changed since. Don't forget the Sulawesi Forest Turtles!

No idea tbh.

Fingers crossed, they're fascinating animals.

~Thylo

15. AnaheimZoo

I was also looking forward to seeing those, thanks for reminding me! Quite an interesting addition. I think what I might do is just see the maleos, turtles, BoPs, then run through the rest and up to the second floor. That should cut about 20-30 minutes off the trip. :D

I only ask because it's only going to be about 40 degrees this Saturday. Wasn't sure if that was a bit chilly for capuchins. We'll see.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  16. JungleWorld

JungleWorld Member 5+ year member

Thank you for working on the Bronx Zoo's Wikipedia page! I was reading through it and have a question. What is the Bronx Flyer? I do not recall seeing anything like it at the zoo. Is this a planned attraction?

From Wiki:
    "The Bronx Flyer is a 15-inch gauge heritage railroad that has two stations, one near Bronx River Parking and one near the 4-D Theater. At each station, the locomotive turns on a turntable at both endpoints of the line. The railroad operates three steam locomotives (one of which is a primary locomotive), and three of which are diesel locomotives (all primary locomotives)."

17. ThylacineAlive

I have no idea, that's a new development on the page. This is the first I've heard of a locomotive at the zoo. Is there a reference for it? They were doing lots of construction on the Bronx River Parkway entrance on my last visit so perhaps it's a new attraction.

~Thylo

18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

you know what results you get when googling for Bronx Flyer, even with additional search words like "zoo" and "locomotive"? Absolutely nothing except the Bronx Zoo Wikipedia page, which has no references.

19. AnaheimZoo

That's very peculiar.

It has to be false. Maybe I'm not reading it right, but it says there are two stations - one near the 4-D Theater and one by the Bronx River parking - which implies that the railroad would run from one to the other, no? I don't understand how that would be feasible, considering the 4-D Theater is surrounded by exhibits and/or paths on all sides. The railroad would have to cut through one of the Zoo's major pathways.

Plus, what purpose would it serve? The Zoo's got a tram system already. If it's simply an attraction, it doesn't seem like a very practical one at all. Considering the lack of citations and news regarding the subject, I'm thinking this is just some kind of hoax.

20. ThylacineAlive

I deleted it as, like Chlidonias said, there are no references on the page and no evidence elsewhere that it exists, and like AnaheimZoo said the geography makes no sense.

I could see the zoo putting an attraction like this in to make a bit of money off of children and their parents, but I don't think this exists.

~Thylo