Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 6 Jan 2017.

Tags:
  1. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For the first time in more than twenty years, Bronx Zoo has Gharials! According from their Facebook and YouTube, eight babies from the Madras Crocodile Bank Trust now live in JungleWorld:

2. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I think "more than twenty years" part is incorrect. I am pretty sure Bronx had gharials in early 2000s

3. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but wasn't the last time gharials were in Jungleworld was in 1992?

4. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I first went to Bronx Zoo in 1999 - the gharials were still in Jungleworld. I think they left in the early 2000s, about the same time as proboscis monkeys. I read somewhere that gharials left because the zoo could not keep the habitat temperature high enough without making jungleworld's visitors too hot. If that was really the problem, I wonder how they solved it now...

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've wondered the same thing...

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Note the new artificial fallen logs onthe beach area--with hidden radiant heaters.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

just as an FYI, I've tidied up the Bronx Zoo news threads so now instead of there being three huge threads they are now separated by year (the first one is 2009-2011 because there wasn't a lot in it; the others are 2012 and so on).

8. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. savethelephant

The Nature Trek by the antelope enclosures and the Treetop Adventure by the Bronx River Gate are now on the map are now "coming soon" on the zoo map

10. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The South Sulawesi tarictic hornbill (Penelopides exarhatus sanfordi) and the yellow-faced mynah are both signed in World of Birds, but I saw the hornbill and the mynah was signed in JungleWorld, and saw neither in World of Birds, so I suspect they've moved.

How long has there been an African golden oriole in JungleWorld? I saw nothing about it, anywhere, until I saw it in person today, and I am confident that my identification is correct. It's such a rare species, I would expect someone to have said something. :p

I did see the grey mouse lemur in Madagascar today, after missing its enclosure entirely two days ago. It was cute.

In JungleWorld, has there always been a mouse deer in the exhibit with slow loris? If not, the one from the gharial exhibit has moved.

Also in JungleWorld, the tree shrews were listed as Tupaia glis. I thought the only species in the country was T. belangeri, but the latter was once considered a subspecies of the former, so is this just outdated signage?

The cloud rats in the Mouse House were signed as Phloeomys cumingi, which is southern Luzon. I've always heard of them as being northern Luzon, is this another signage mistake?

11. savethelephant

I have never remembered the hornbill in WOB (although I think it has been exhibited there a few years back)

Interesting about the oriole!

Did you take pics of lemur?

There were always mouse deer with loris. It's the one by gharials that's new (first report of it there was me over summer)

I think they are indeed Northern luzon

No clue on tree shrews

12. jayjds2

Ah, I wasn't sure how much was news and how much wasn't, never having been there. I have photos of the oriole (though not good, it flew before I really had time to try) and the lemur (some with light, some without, the flashlight on my phone proved useful as it was dim and did not startle the animal like a camera flash). I didn't see the deer with the gharials, or the sign, but I was taking photos of birds :p
    If the rats are northern, then that's twice the zoo's signs have mixed northern and southern for a sign. The kiwis had the same mistake, right?

13. savethelephant

Haha don't worry I'm not blaming you for anything

Yes that is correct i.e. kiwis

jayjds2 likes this.
  14. jayjds2

What tortoise species is in the gharial exhibit?

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The hornbill has been in JW since at least my last visit in January.

Are you sure it's an African? I've seen Black-Naped Oriole in there before.

I suspect the tree-shrew signage is just out of date but I have no idea tbh (as much as I'd like to know if they are a different species).

The zoo keeps Northern Luzon Giant Cloud Rat and yes the kiwi signage is also incorrect. The slow loris signage is incorrect as well, with them being Pygmys but labeled as Sunda.

~Thylo

16. jayjds2

You got me there. Darn. I just really wanna see the African golden oriole :p

17. jayjds2

This is apparently really big news, based on @ThylacineAlive's reaction when I told him :p

Daurian pika, Ochotona dauurica, is on exhibit in the first exhibit on the right in the Mouse House.

I saw it a few days ago.
    [​IMG]

ShonenJake13, Vision, Mehdi and 7 others like this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You lucky, lucky bastard. :p

[​IMG]

19. jayjds2

I always hoped to earn one of those :D

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  20. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Guess you'll have to make your way back to Columbus, where I've seen the African golden many times... :p I am jealous about the Daurian pika though....it's been far too long since I've been to the Bronx - hopefully I'll be able to make time in my next NYC trek to get up there.