Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 6 Jan 2017.

Tags:
  1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@ThylacineAlive took photos of the owls and can be seen in the galley
    The crowned lemurs have been on show (again) for at least 2 years now alternating days with the sifakas.

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Although Minnesota no longer has the species, another well-known zoo did receive the rest of their stock, but has not revealed it yet. Hopefully they do better at each of the two zoos.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The former enclosure was completely empty with the signage for all three species (nyala, gazelle, and duiker) removed.

Well Bronx has the last Javan Langurs in the US so there isn't much of a chance they can continue. Unfortunately it seems the one-eyed individual (my personal favorite) has gone now. I have no idea what they'll do with that enclosure. I know Prospect Park currently has some Lion-Tailed Macaques off-show and it seems the AZA is interested in that species again so perhaps those will move to Bronx, though they don't exactly fit in the langur enclosure. Anyone know how the zoo (and US) is doing with the Silvered Leaf Monkeys?

The zoo only has a pair of pika and they look quite different from one another. There are now photos of the two of them in the gallery. One is slimmer with black markings while the other is larger and a pale grey all over.

The Burrowing Owls are doing well and the enclosure looks quite good.

~Thylo

4. jayjds2

Not quite the last, Tanganyika Wildlife Park imported a group from Howletts a few years back. Not sure how they're doing there, though. Lion-tailed macaques are a good suggestion, and I can see that working out. The Indianapolis Zoo plans to acquire crab-eating macaques, perhaps those would also become an option if their group breeds well? Silvered leaf langurs seem to be breeding at a steady rate in Columbus and San Diego, not sure about other groups.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

Bronx's Silvered Leaf Monkeys were breeding regularly for years but I only spotted three or four when with Anton so I'm not sure. That enclosure has an odd viewing set-up, though.

It's a shame there aren't more endangered langur species around in US zoos.

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana, Vision and jayjds2 like this.
  6. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Went to the zoo today. It was wonderful weather and nice to be back since spring. I was able to see some of the noted changes others have posted including the new gazelle exhibit and some of the new species in the World of Reptiles, JungleWorld and Mouse House. Some other highlights:

1) New snow leopard cup. Must be 3-4 months old in the smallest exhibit.
    2) There is a newborn gelada in the troop along with the youngest from last year and the one from earlier this year.
    3) Natal Red duiker were out (only one)
    4) Several exhibits were emptied in Congo (python/fish building) with the old monitor/turtle exhibit walled up with some construction going on. Maybe the baby dwarf crocodile will go on exhibit.
    5) Some new species were in Jungle World, or at least new from last year including the Borneo Eared frog, dead leaf mantis, Asian crayfish and several stick insect species.
    6) Both langur species only had four individuals. I am not sure what is going on with the silver leaf langurs since they have always have bred well in the Bronx. I also saw more painted storks (at least 6) and a large colony of Indian fruit bats active. The gharials also looked great; active on the beach and in the water. The last room is also hotter then I can ever recall.
    7) World of Reptiles: I feel like several species moved around and Thylacinealive already mentioned the new bushmaster, four eyed turtles and other species. Three new species I saw were the evergreen toads (with the golden toads), Solomon Island Monitors (replacing the lace monitor) and in one of the tiny exhibits there was a bright blue gecko, not sure the species.
    8) Saw the Madagascan Jumping rat in Mouse House; but in Madagascar the tenrec now has a snake species (tree boa maybe) in its place. Also saw no brown collared lemurs- but both ring tailed mongoose and fossa were out and active.
    9) Lastly, I did go on the Nature Trek. As sad as it is that it replaced a long empty antelope yard; my nephew (and all young kids) had a blast on it. I have to say, even as an adult going across the different bridges and play spaces was fun. I do hope the extra revenue will help build something in the old and empty exhibit next door (the old blesbok yard).

All in all a wonderful day; still very curious what will be next for the zoo. Didn't see any major construction (except for what looks like parking machines in the Bronx River and Asia lots) so at least for next year it might only be some minor updates.

AnaheimZoo and savethelephant like this.
  7. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jealous about that duiker! That was one of my highlight species, but I missed it at both visits earlier this month. Were they in the rather empty exhibit on the opposite side of the path as the Nyala pen?

EDIT: Sorry, just realized you said natal red, not red-flanked. I thought they only had the latter species? Either way, still interested in what exhibit they were. :D

Last edited: 2 Oct 2017
  8. bigfoot410

To be honest they may have been red flanked as opposed to natal red; they were unsigned. However the one individual I saw was in the small yard across from the nyala. At times there have been a bull nyala and a small herd of slender horned gazelle; but every once in awhile the duiker have been out.

9. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My only thing about the Javan Langur enclosure that throws a monkey wrench *no pun intended* into the speculation at hand is that that exhibit is supposed to stimulate a Mangrove habitat. I personally think an aquatic primate would suit the habitat best (Proboscis monkeys, but that's wishful thinking. Then again, if Taronga is considering sending Platypus over to San Diego and Indianapolis is mulling over Crab Eating Macaques of all primates, anything is possible.)

ThylacineAlive and bigfoot410 like this.
  10. bigfoot410

I think they would have more options if they drained some of the water out to increase the land area. I do agree that a return of proboscis monkeys would be great; but I doubt it. Crab eating macaques would at least use the water too.

I also forgot to add. The mudskipper exhibit was emptied entirely. I assume it would be for a cleaning, but even the signage was off.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. ThylacineAlive

The zoo has Red-Flanked Duiker.

~Thylo

12. jayjds2

Per @ThylacineAlive and @Vision's recent visit, this animal is on display no more but recently was:

A golden-headed quetzal chick hatched in early July!

Apart from that, the zoo has announced via social media that it holds Ethiopian mountain vipers (Bitis parviocula) behind the scenes. They've had 2.2 for over a year.

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. savethelephant

It was announced through Facebook (and probably other social media) that there are electric blue geckos in the World of Reptiles and already have 6 eggs

16. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Incase anyone doesn’t know much about the electric blue gecko, they are a critically endangered dwarf gecko that are only found on 8km of Tanzania

17. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The pair of geckos the zoo has were born at the Brookfield Zoo and the zoo received them in september

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  18. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

19. savethelephant

According to social media two electric blue geckos have hatched and are on display in the world of reptiles nursery

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. bigfoot410

According to twitter and Facebook; Tundra the Bronx's Zoos polar bear was euthanized today. He was 26 years old and had been diagnosed with kidney disease. It's sad to hear since I saw him a month ago and he has been at the zoo for most of my life. However; it will be interesting now to see what they will do with his exhibit.