Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by AnaheimZoo, 16 Jan 2018.

1. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Per the Zoo's Instagram account, there are two new silvered leaf langur babies now on exhibit in Jungleworld.

Maybe this will ease some concerns some of you were having about the future of this species at the Zoo?

ThylacineAlive and StoppableSan like this.
  2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Although there have been no additions to the website, nor any official press announcement, I noticed a few pictures of cheetahs have been posted to the zoo's tripadvisor website. It would make sense considering the zoo announced on the show that they planned on showing them again sometime soon.

3. AnaheimZoo

I only see one picture with two individuals. Are we sure that the picture is recent? Despite the upload date being sometime this month, I think it's safe to say that it's not from any date in the last 4 months, at least (considering there's green grass on the ground and leaves on the trees). I'm willing to bet it's much older than that, as this appears to be the exhibit outside the Carter Giraffe Building where the hyenas have lived for several years now.

That being said, I'm still hopeful for the return of a permanent cheetah exhibit.

savethelephant and StoppableSan like this.
  4. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Currently you can schedule a "cheetah connection" at the zoo where it's behind the scenes. There are also options of the Fennec Fox and other ambassador animals. However; on the Bronx Zoo website the Cheetah Connections for the upcoming months are already sold out. At this time there is no exhibit for cheetahs.

5. savethelephant

Ah shoot. Sorry for the false alarm, I've just been a tad jumpy considering the new developments:oops:

6. AnaheimZoo

Oh, wow, I hadn't heard anything about this! I've been out of the loop for a little while now, so this is completely new news to me. Thanks so much for sharing! I'll definitely be looking to sign up for this if and when another set of dates is announced.

Totally understandable. I think we've all been on edge ever since we learned the Zoo had cheetahs behind-the-scenes. :D

7. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Animal Planet series on the Bronx Zoo showed the cheetah cubs being raised and also made pretty clear that they were destined for educational programs and not display.

8. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is there anything new we can expect from the zoo this year?

9. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I heard from an interview with Director James Breheny about a vague mention of expanding the African Plains into a "Safari Adventure", reusing the Monkey House for Pygmy Hippos, possible refurbishment and reopening of World of Darkness, a Latin American section, etc. Logically, wouldn't putting Pygmy Hippos in the Congo section make more sense?

10. tigris115

Where would the Latin American section be going? Also, I assume that they didn't have room in the Congo section. Also, has anything been said about elephants? I'm never giving up.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2018
  11. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

zoophoria
    They are listed as ideas, no more. I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Much of WCS’s resources are currently devoted to the aquarium. Perhaps we will see more development of the zoos in upcoming years, but building an aquarium is not cheap.

ThylacineAlive and StoppableSan like this.
  12. tigris115

So how much longer until the aquarium is done?

13. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As of the most recent information I can find, it is scheduled to open either this spring or this summer, depending on the news report, but that info is all at least many months old, the Aquarium's website is silent other than to say 2018, no date has been announced, and I can't find any recent update.

14. bigfoot410

The Aquarium's Ocean Wonders Sharks is supposed to open by summer 2018. Does that mean by Memorial Day or by Labor Day is anyone's guess. As for what is next at the zoo exhibit wise; nothing major appears under construction yet; but I will be going next month. I wouldn't be surprised if some new species are added to already established exhibits like what had occurred last year.

savethelephant likes this.
  15. bigfoot410

Also, in regards to where a "Latin America" section could go- the zoo still has a significant amount of open space. Depending on how large of an exhibit they'd like the build it could go in the old Rare Animal Range. I do wish they'd go for Australian animals. As for the Monkey House - I had also hear they were considering that for a "World of Insects/Invertebrates" because I don't know how a indoor/outdoor pygmy hippo exhibit would work. I feel where the white rhinos are now (if the move to the "African Safari" area) would make a good pygmy hippo exhibit with maybe some large African birds or primates.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. tigris115

This may just be me but I feel that the Bronx Zoo is very sparse in terms of animals. Also, does anyone know about visiting the Bronx in the winter months?

17. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would think you would have the whole zoo to yourself in terms of the indoor areas (JungleWorld, Madagascar, Congo)

18. savethelephant

Just as a note it would seem Jungle World will be closed until the 26th with the second floor of World of Birds until further notice

19. tigris115

Thanks for the tip. I wanna go more because I have a photography class and the gorillas and big cats would be perfect subjects

20. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow, standards for zoos are really changing. I had no idea that 600 species was considered sparse these days!

AnaheimZoo and ThylacineAlive like this.