Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by AnaheimZoo, 16 Jan 2018.

1. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I meant that it seems much of the zoo is either empty or the way exhibits are built, animals are always really way back. And I think everyone agrees with me that the monorail is a tease.

2. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

In winter the zoo is very empty, both with crowds and animals since some areas (Wild Asia, Africa) are void of most animals outdoors. However; it is nice to have the World Of Reptiles, Jungle World and Madagascar to yourself. The fossas were very active when I stopped in on a day in December.
    The Bronx Zoo does have over 600 species; but when it comes to many of the megafauna it does lack- one great ape species, now only one bear species, no hippos, one large canine species, elephants and one rhino species only viewable at times...for birds, reptiles and small mammals it does have a diverse collection though.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. tigris115

Like especially compared to when I visited the San Diego Zoo, the Bronx Zoo (at least for a seasoned patron like me) is starting to get a bit dull. I don't know what it's gonna take but I feel like a Master plan (or just a general freshening up) would do the zoo a miracle

Last edited: 25 Jan 2018
  4. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, the zoo doesn't control its animals' movements. If they want to be in the back, then they'll go in the back. Many of the exhibits are large and among the best I've seen for the species they have. In what way is the monorail a tease? You know what to expect and you know what you pay for. And while it's true you can't see the animals as long as you want, there are plenty of options to get unlimited rides (such as a membership).
    Who says they don't have one already? But as I said, all resources are directed to the aquarium. Rebuilding an institution from scratch is more important than a "freshening up" of a zoo which is already one of America's best. The large, open space of Bronx is much preferable to the cramped corridors of San Diego.Not to mention, Bronx has no Urban Jungle or Elephant Odyssey plaguing it like San Diego does...

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. tigris115

I just feel that there are things that the Bronx could be doing better. I don't doubt that it's still one of the finest zoos in the U.S. but IDK, something about it all just seems tired. Maybe it's just me.

6. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's a pretty subjective statement.

For me personally , I loved that all the exhibits were fairly close to each other and that you could see so many different kinds of animals in a reasonable area. Of course San Diego has things to work on (Bear Grottos, Urban Jungle) but it is for me the #1 zoo in North America.

That said it's your opinion, and I can definitely see why someone would like the vast spaces of the Bronx Zoo.

7. tigris115

I really like the forested feeling of the Bronx but I feel there's a ton of untapped potential within those 250 acres.

8. TZDugong

I did too when I visited! I agree that there is lots of potential but the Bronx Zoo is really good as it is and I would definitely say it's my #2 favourite zoo.

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  9. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have loads of ideas of what Bronx could do to improve circulation. For instance, instead of a monorail, the Zoo could replace it with a boardwalk made of recycled plastic. To further incentivize guests to come down, more charismatic species would be added such as Orangutans, Langurs, Pythons, Clouded Leopards, Fishing Cats, etc. The big question is what to do with the Elephants. I'd take them out of the former Monorail area. I'm not sure if the Zoo is still moving its service area to the former Rare Animal Range, but if it is, the Elephants could move into a brand new complex complete with a JungleWorld styled Elephant House. The outdoor yard would extend to/incorporate the old yard that currently houses White Rhinos, with the Rhinos possibly moving in with the Grevy's Zebras. New exhibits would also be added alongside the forested pathway, such as a hillside yard for Dholes near Himalayan Highlands, an extension of the former Polar Bear exhibit for Sloth Bears and Jackals, etc. Himalayan Highlands could also have some more species added, such as Takin near the Northern Ponds. In terms of what else could be done, the Monkey House would possibly turn into a Galapagos Island complex for Tortoises, Marine Iguanas, etc.

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  10. TZDugong

Aren't they phasing out of Elephants?

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  11. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One of the design principles at the Bronx Zoo for many years has been that many of the animals should have an opportunity to take themselves off display/go somewhere out of sight if they want to. It makes for psychologically healthier animals. Some of them, naturally, take more advantage of that than others. And it can be frustrating for visitors. It works better for animals that are kept in large groups.

F.majalis and ThylacineAlive like this.
  12. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The monorail route is an awfully long stretch to replace with a footpath. Also, part of the reason for the monorail is controlling the amount of time people are in front of the exhibits. Leaving that up to the visitors would increase the disturbance of the animals. Somewhere I've read that the original plans for Wild Asia included an orang exhibit but it was removed for cost reasons. An orang exhibit up to the Congo Gorilla Forest standards would take a large piece of room and be very expensive. WCS has pretty much indicated that the current elephants will be the last. Current standards are that elephants should only be kept in natural groups, and that would take an enormous area that even the Bronx doesn't have to spare, plus the elephant activists would all but declare nuclear war. They are continually after the Bronx to give up the elephants they currently have. The Grevy Zebra yard is not large enough for both them and White Rhinos, and you'd have to build a large indoor facility for the rhinos, for which there is no room there. As a matter of ecology and habitat, Dholes would fit more with the monorail exhibits rather than the Himalayan Highlands. Remember also that zoos are rapidly moving towards a model where they display only animals born in captivity or deposited in zoos as part of an organized species rescue/preservation program. As for the Galapagos, it could be difficult to impossible to get enough Galapagos animals to stock an exhibit like the one you're contemplating. Ecuador forbids export of any of the rare species, with rare exceptions, although I don't know which of them might exist in sufficient numbers in other zoos for the Bronx to acquire them.

13. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm giving a possible scenario for what would haplen if they weren't going to phase out elephants in the end. I'm just listing possible ideas for facilities. These are just meant to be blue-sky ideas, I doubt they would actually happen.

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo is also getting a new individual from the Santa Ana Zoo, as they are phasing out their last two animals.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. ThylacineAlive

Additionally I don't see there even being a big problem here. Outside of the small birds in large walk-through aviaries and individual herps (which are animals which often hide at every zoo), the only species I've really ever had trouble spotting on every visit are the Blackbuck and North Indian Muntjac, both on the monorail. The Thomson's Gazelles generally choose to stay further back in their (I think) 4-acre yard but they're still visible. I personally think it's great Bronx offers these large, naturalistic habitats for their animals which includes space for them to hide if they so choose.

It's one of the big reasons the Bronx is and probably will always be my #1 zoo, significantly better than San Diego in my personal opinion.

~Thylo

StoppableSan, TZDugong and Mr Wrinkly like this.
  16. ThylacineAlive

While the zoo does have only one great ape, now only one bear species, one large canine, one elephant, and no hippos, it also has two rhinoceros species easily viewable (the monorail spends a generous amount of time on the large Indian Rhinoceros enclosure and the animal is almost always visible), one lesser ape, 18 smaller primate species (six lemurs, four marmosets/tamarins, two langurs, one bushbaby, one loris, one guenon, one colobus, Mandrills, and Gelada), four big cat species, zebras, giraffes, bison, two large ratites (plus kiwi), two penguins, two flamingos, Komodo Dragons, six Crocodilians, giant tortoises, and four giant boa/python species. All of these I would call major megafauna draws for most zoo visitors, and the zoo seems to have plans for adding a hippo and another big cat, plus I've heard rumors of another primate, large canine, and maybe a different future for elephants (not going to say further). Additionally, the zoo only just went down to one bear species due to their last Polar Bear dying. Once you add on the extremely large and diverse collection of oddball mammals (large and small), birds, and reptiles, I would say you have a world-class zoo with plenty of draws for both the general public and zoo nerds with megafauna a plenty.

~Thylo

Last edited: 25 Jan 2018
  17. ThylacineAlive

I will agree that the zoo has been in a stagnant place for many years following the 2009 budget cuts which forced them to close three exhibits (and eventually the Monkey House followed) as well as their Skyfari attraction. However, don't overlook the fact that the zoo has been making improvements over the past few years- albeit small atm. The zoo has been renovating many individual enclosures all across the zoo which had fallen into bad shape (many of the ones in World of Reptiles come to mind) and have been adding plenty of new species. They also renovated the second floor of World of Birds, the entire Children's Zoo, and half of the Zoo Center (adding Aldabra Giant Tortoises and Komodo Dragons as well as various small monitors). They also just opened that new treeline walk attraction (in a previously undeveloped section of the zoo which would've never been used for animal attractions due to geography I might add) which will bring in much needed extra revenue, with apparent plans to renovate the long-vacant portion of African Plains. Most recently, they just built a new enclosure for their Slender-Horned Gazelle breeding herd- a highly endangered species very rare in captivity which rotated on-and-off-exhibit with nyala and duikers in a mediocre side yard for many years. I, too, yearn for a grand new exhibit to revitalize the zoo and head it towards a better future, but that takes a lot of time, commitment, and money, and we must all be patient and take note of the steps they are clearly taking to lead up to that. We must also all remember that Bronx is not a single entity. They are own by the Wildlife Conservation Society, which is first and foremost a conservation society which will put much of their funds- including at least a portion of what the zoo itself brings in- into actual conservation efforts for species in the wild.* Additionally, the WCS runs three other zoos which, imo, are mostly in much more need of a facelift. Central Park's main draws are the Grizzly Bears and penguins, Queen's bison and Cougar, and Prospect Park only has baboons with their kangaroos having left and the plans for Amur Leopard seeming to have disappeared. And of course there is the aquarium, which was mostly destroyed and closed indefinitely for a time after Hurricane Sandy and still is only partly reopened.

*This being another, very large reason why Bronx is my favorite zoo.

On the note of the large undeveloped spaces at the zoo, whiles yes I agree it can be frustrating to see so much land go unused (especially when some of it used to be) and even more so having to walk through seemingly nothing to get to and from certain exhibits, the large amounts of undeveloped forest are apart of what Bronx stands for as a zoo. The grounds are a haven for native wildlife, making it arguably the best spot in New York City for birding, and all this undeveloped land I believe is very much intentional and one of my personal favorite aspects of the place.

~Thylo

AnaheimZoo and StoppableSan like this.
  18. ThylacineAlive

Are the Palawan Binturongs including? :p

~Thylo

19. tigris115

I think that having more feeding times/talks would be cool. Like if you have a collection of critters that could make Noah jealous, just having two animals that you have public talks for is pretty dumb. Like I would implement feedings for

Rhinos: Just get the two white rhinos into the Zoo Center building
    Tigers: This could easily be done at Tiger Mountain
    Giraffes: You can have this at the Carter Giraffe Building
    Lions: I'm not sure if the feedings would work here without the keepers having to throw meat over the moat
    Gorillas: Modify that area outside of Congo to be like a small amphitheater where keepers can do shows talking about the gorillas
    Bison: As the greatest conservation story of WCS, it would be criminal not to include these in the roster

Also, I would KILL to have a breeding elephant exhibit in the Bronx where I can see then at my own pace year round.

20. ThylacineAlive

I believe they do do tiger talks and I believe giraffe feeds are planned for the new safari area.

~Thylo