Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by AnaheimZoo, 16 Jan 2018.

1. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

I know the fennec fox are included as have porcupine (NA and Prehensile) , various birds and the penguin meet up have been included in their Animal Connections. I will be curious if their binturongs are. At Brew at the Zoo one of the keepers had a clouded leopard out (as per Instagram), but he was likely a visiting animal.

AnaheimZoo and ThylacineAlive like this.
  2. bigfoot410

Thylo-

You are absolutely correct that the Bronx Zoo has been adding species (a favorite return of mine is the gharials) and renovating sections like Zoo Center, the Children's Zoo and World of Reptiles. I also have always loved not only the "zoo in the woods in the middle of the largest city in the USA" feel and the large size of most of the exhibits so that you have to find the animals.

However; I feel like since the recession it's been really the first time in my life the zoo hasn't had a major announced exhibit in the works. I am curious to know what big cat, canine and primate you have heard about. I know they are considering Amur leopards, but originally they were going to go to Prospect Park.

--As someone mentioned above- orangs were originally going to be part of Jungle World (with komodos, a 2nd gibbon species and clouded leopards); but funding and ability to obtain species changed plans.

Ultimately the aquarium needs to fully open and a lot of funds are tied up in that. Central Park, Queens and Prospect Park also can use new exhibits, but space is limited at each so it would be curious what they can add.

Has anyone heard what's going on at the Giraffe Building? It has been closed since at least October. I'm not sure if any actual renovations are going on or just a clean up. I do hope the last empty antelope yard is filled in this year too (if African Safari is going there)

StoppableSan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The giraffe building was closed in September, too...

@bigfoot410 I do understand what you mean about there not being any major exhibits announced, and it is frustrating, but as I said I think we just need to be patient. Personally I've been quite content with what they've been up to, knowing it must all be building up to something greater. I'd personally rather see the current zoo fix up it's cracks and blind spots than rush with something big and new first. For the future I do hope they eventually add another hoofstock species or two to African Plains and build a new giraffe house.

@tigris115 I don't think the zoo will ever have a breeding herd of elephants unfortunately.

Also, the zoo has 19 other primates besides the apes. I forgot the capuchins.

~Thylo

4. bigfoot410

Thylo-
    So currently the zoo has: Gorilla, colobus monkey, mandrill, wolf's guenon, pygmy marmoset (maybe), gelada, bushbaby, Javan Langur, Silverleaf Langur, White cheeked gibbon, slow or pygmy loris, squirrel monkey, crowned lemur, sifaka, ring tailed lemur, brown collared lemur, grey mouse lemur, red ruffed lemur and seasonally they have the capuchins and some New World Monkey species. The main loss of the monkey house is that at least a dozen primate species are gone :( And the last two times at the WOB they had removed the primate species so I'm not sure if eventually they will go on display somewhere else or they have moved them to other zoos.
    I do hope when the Javans are phased out that either crab eating macaques or lion tailed macaques go there as a new species. A guenon species should be added to the mandrill habitat too, the sign is still there for the Debrazza; but it's been several years since I've seen one.

5. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They only do the sea lion and penguin feedings
    Bronx Zoo

Also, can we get some longer hours than 10 to 4:30. I understand that for winter but for summer, it's inexcusable. I'd say 9-6 would be my dream hours

6. ThylacineAlive

I also forgot about the squirrels monkeys incidentally :p Afaik the list is Western Lowland Gorilla, Northern White-Cheeked Gibbon, Peters' Angolan Colobus, Mandrill, Wolf's Guenon, Gelada, Javan Langur, Silvered Leaf Monkey, Ring-Tailed Lemur, Coquerel's Sifaka, Crowned Lemur, Red-Collared Lemur, Grey Mouse Lemur, Red Ruffed Lemur, Mohol Bushbaby, Pygmy Slow Loris, White-Headed Capuchin, Common Squirrel Monkey, Pygmy Marmosets (I've seen them), Golden Lion Tamarin, Golden-Headed Lion Tamarin, Cotton-Top Tamarin, and I believe Goeldi's Monkey.

So 23 primates in total, two of which are apes.

I am curious to know what will happen when the Javan Langurs die off. I'd imagine Francois' Langur will replace them but that's purely speculation. I also agree another guenon or two should be added with the Mandrills. Personally I'd move the Red River Hogs off and make that enclosure Pygmy Hippopotamus, Mandrill, and another guenon species. Not sure how feasible it'd be adding a pool to that enclosure, though, and I'm sure the zoo's considered that already.

~Thylo

7. ThylacineAlive

Perhaps they no longer do a tiger one but I definitely remember there being a mesh portion to one of the Tiger Mountain viewing areas where a keeper would do a feeding. There are photos of it in the gallery in fact.

The zoo closes at 5:30 in the summer, but I do agree the opening hours are pretty short for a zoo that size.

~Thylo

8. tigris115

This may sound daft as all hell but how effective would it be to move the administration buildings in the old Bird House and that other building into the city to free up space?

Also, let's continue the discussion here
    What would you do to the Bronx Zoo?

Last edited: 26 Jan 2018
  9. tigris115

10. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread's been hot since the last time I signed on.

@ThylacineAlive So you said they're phasing out "their last two animals." Do you mean the last two silvered leaf langurs? Are those the parents of the newborns? And if so, why? Bringing the group from 4 down to 3 individuals rather than bringing the new one in to bump the total up to 5 seems strange. Is this new individual in any way related to the newborns? I just can't say I'm following what the Zoo's plan is here if that's the case.

Also, where do you get your information from? I ask that not in a skeptical/cynical way, but in a genuinely curious way. Those would be some huge developments if they turn out to be true, and I just would like to know if one acquires this info from asking the right people, intense sleuthing, or some other means.

11. ThylacineAlive

I meant Santa Ana is phasing out their last two Silvered Leaf Monkeys, and one of which is going to Bronx as I believe they sent the animal to SA in the first place. I got that info. from speaking with a keeper at Santa Ana a few days ago.

~Thylo

12. AnaheimZoo

Also... forgive me if this post is very ignorant or controversial, but... does anyone else the renovation of the Aquarium as...

Okay, I really don't want to call the rebuilding they're doing pointless, but...

I guess my question is, what would happen should another hurricane like Sandy come through? I obviously don't want anything to happen to the Aquarium again, especially not something that devastating, but... the East Coast is always going to be in the conversation when it comes to the potential paths of future hurricanes. Surely something like that will happen again, no? (Maybe not as big, but still.)

If it does, what's the plan then? Just rebuild again?

I'm sorry if this seems unreasonably pessimistic - I'm not trying to be. But is it not a legitimate concern?

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  13. AnaheimZoo

Ah, okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding. As for the second Santa Ana langur? Back to its previous home, too, I assume?

14. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, presumably the new building was designed with this very much in mind and will be built to withstand the impact as much as possible. I think it’s good to have a major aquatic attraction in NYC, as opposed to the 4 zoos which feature little in the way of aquatic life.

AnaheimZoo likes this.
  15. ThylacineAlive

Yes I believe part of the rebuilding is strengthening the aquarium to better withstand a bad hurricane. Of course the threat is always there but it's also there for Bronx, and for zoos like LA with earthquakes. It's a part of life unfortunately. Personally, I'm extremely excited for the full reopening/expansion.

I didn't catch where the other langur was going but it is to another zoo.

~Thylo

AnaheimZoo likes this.
  16. tigris115

So what's happening with the second floor of World of Birds?

17. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to Facebook the season premier will be on March 10 at 9 pm, EST. There will also be a preview tomorrow February 4, 5:10 pm EST

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Season premier of what? :confused:

19. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

savethelephant likes this.
  20. ThylacineAlive

Season 2 specifically.

~Thylo