Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by AnaheimZoo, 16 Jan 2018.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo is not planning a new grand exhibit for elephants.

~Thylo

2. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I think he tended to mainly stick to the children’s zoo.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Domestic goose then? (rapidly loses interest....)

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. ThylacineAlive

I tend to visit the CZ :p They have several nice non-domestics.

~Thylo

5. agnmeln

How very domestic goose-ist!

Ah. Most times I skip the children’s zoo on most of my visits anywhere, unless it’s especially quiet of course, because, well, children . . .

6. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I take back the first half of my previous comment.

7. ThylacineAlive

Understandable but in my experience skipping a children's zoo is a good way to miss a lot of really cool species :p

I remember someone suggested I skip San Diego's cz and boy I am glad I didn't!

~Thylo

8. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@ThylacineAlive: Are the brown pelicans not near the Children's Zoo? Were these not visible during your last visit?

9. ThylacineAlive

There was a pair of swans in there. No sign of the Brown, American White, or Peruvian Pelicans.

~Thylo

Mehdi likes this.
  10. agnmeln

For this reason, I try to schedule most of my visits to new zoos for weekdays when there should hopefully be less children around.

11. Birdlover

Birdlover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Despite this, I had an alright visit and noted some changes:
    -Finally saw the Black-and-White Seedeater, though no Ruddy-Breasted
    -Oriental Pied Hornbills have been replaced by Sulawesi Knobbed Hornbills
    -Green-Backed Twinspots are in with the Great Blue Turacos, though I didn't see them
    -Malayan Great Argus chick in WOB
    -There's now more than one Turquoise Tanager in the South American walk-through and there might be a new species in there but will need to ID later
    -There was a transport crate in one of the outdoor cages of the Mouse House and several of the cages look as though they're being redone on the inside
    -There were no turtles in JungleWorld oddly
    -The musk turtles have been replaced by Roti Island Snake-Necked Turtles and not Parker's Snake-Necked Turtles as the signage originally said
    -There is a new lizard species in with the chuckwallas, though I'm not sure which
    -There's now an Ethiopian Mountain Adder on-display next to the Kihansi Spray Toads
    -There's now a pair of Madagascar Crested Ibis in the Aquatic Bird House
    -No sign of any of the pelicans species and only saw two or three Inca Terns

~Thylo[/QUOTE]

Went to the zoo as planned on Saturday and had a nice visit as usual.
    I can update a few of Thylo's comments and add a few myself.
    The turtles were back in Jungle World.
    The new lizard in the Chuckwalla exhibit appears to be a species of Collared Lizard.
    The Peruvian Pelicans were back on exhibit but there still was only a few Inca Terns around.

The Tigers,Black Leopards and Red Pandas were all off display on Saturday.
    The Burrowing Owls were off display and the sign was gone (Not sure what to make of that)
    Does anyone know what is coming or what was recently in one of the first exhibits in the World of Reptiles? It had sand and palm trees but no animal or sign.
    Does anyone have a handle of the fish species at the zoo? As their signage for fish is hit and miss. I am particularly interested in which species of Madagascar Rainbowfish they have and which species of Madagascar cichlids. I know they have 2 species of Paretroplus, P. maculatus and P. menarambo but I see there are other species also.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

Is that the enclosure kind of across from the Hellbender tank? If so it should have an unidentified, unlabeled monitor in it that may be a Nile.

I have Pachypanchax sakaramyi down for the tank in Madagascar but not sure if that's still what's in there. No idea what's in the last tank by the Red Ruffed Lemurs. I've never noted P. maculatus before, were they with the crocodiles?

Did you see any Sulawesi Forest Turtles or Mary River Turtles?

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Birdlover

Birdlover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, that was the exhibit I was asking about.
    After looking up Pachypanchax sakaramyi, that is what I did see. I was just assuming they were a species of Madagascar Rainbowfish since that was what the sign was talking about.
    The P. maculatus are in with the crocodiles, I am basing my id on internet photos. They look like P. menarambo but with a large black spot just behind the gills. There is at least 1 additional species in the tanks as I saw some that reminded me of Jack Dempseys.

No, I didn't see either species.

Thanks for your help,
    Birdlover

14. ThylacineAlive

Now that you mention it I did see cichlids with large black spots behind the gills, will have to check if I got photos of them. I know there are also "bleekeri" morph Paratilapia polleni in there.

~Thylo

15. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know if the zoo still keeps Maxwell's duiker? I know they are supposed to have died but I once sent a message to the zoo and only now received an answer and they can apparently still be viewed at the "at the Carter Giraffe Building or (in good weather conditions) at the Congo Gorilla Forest" according to them.

16. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No, they don't have them any longer

Mehdi likes this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

The duikers haven't been in CGF since like 2011 and all signage for them has been removed from the Carter Giraffe Building. They died at the end of 2015.

~Thylo

Mehdi likes this.
  18. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone have a somewhat accurate species list of the inhabitants of World of Darkness before it's closing? Does anyone know if it will ever be reopened?

19. ThylacineAlive

There should be some lists posted around the forum. Cannot recall off the top of my head, though I know Pallas's Long-Tongued Bats, Red Slender Loris, Bay Duiker, and Leopard Cat are some of the rarities which used to be there.

~Thylo

20. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

I will do my best to list since I remember going through the exhibit so many times prior to its closing and have been in the building during Halloween for their special (no animal) exhibits.

Bats- Pallas' long-tongued bats, seba's bat, Rodrigues fruit bats, Jamaican fruit bats, Mexican freetail bats
    Cats- Sand cats, Indochinese Leopard Cats
    Primates- slow loris (possibly pygmy), slender loris, greater galago, lesser galago, night monkey (not sure what subspecies), fat tailed dwarf lemur
    Other mammals- striped skunk, lesser hedgehog tenrec, prehensile tailed porcupine, brush tailed porcupine, Indian crested porcupine, two-toed sloth (Hoffman?), naked mole rats, bay duiker,
    Others- Marine toad, boa constrictor, black caiman, Kenyan sand boa, desert hole pupfish

This is not a complete list since I think I may have forgotten some exhibits, but this should be most of them at time of closing in 2009. I do really miss the exhibit since it had so many interesting species. At this time there is no concrete plan for reopening.