Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 11 Jan 2019.

1. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Yes, annoying to miss the imperial pigeons and thick-billed parrots. Had my fill of Chacoan peccaries at Berlin last year and will see them again in Prague this year, so not too sad there!

How visible are the pronghorns in their semi-behind the scenes yard? Would be very disappointing to miss out on a massive life-tick.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe they are fairly visible if you know to look for them. There should be photos of them in the yard in the zoo's gallery.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

The quality of habitats and new herd requirements of three have left IDA with virtually nothing to complain about. The only real "sins" they have left to complain about are breeding elephants and having elephants.

With only Happy and Patty remaining, I suppose the AZA will compel the zoo to acquire a third or relinquish them to another zoo? Has anyone heard anything?

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. AmbikaFan

The Aquarium! Its new shark exhibit is breathtaking. A season 3 ZOO episode on its opening will lure you right in. Don't let the word Brooklyn deter you. It's on the shore next to Coney Island, mere blocks from the Belt Parkway and Gowanus Expressway that make it a speedy highway jaunt to Manhattan. Or take Ocean Avenue and Ocean Parkway down from Prospect Park!

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Not big on fish especially but the aquarium will get a visit because of the sea otters!

ThylacineAlive and StoppableSan like this.
  6. ThylacineAlive

Back in September the zoo brought in 1.2 Gaur from San Diego. These animals were mixed in with the rest of the herd over the winter and will be on-exhibit when the monorail re-opens for the season at the end of the month. The zoo currently has 8.10 Gaur.

~Thylo

7. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited Bronx Zoo today (2nd visit). Saw a tawny frogmouth chick in World of Birds, and there was an unsigned Black and Rufous Sengi in the Mouse House, opposite the agouti. Overall, really impressed with the zoo, though gutted the Congo Forest was closed today for maintenance works.

ThylacineAlive and StoppableSan like this.
  8. AmbikaFan

You know, that sounds like a great idea, almost a no-brainer. Is there some reason virtually no one does this?

Mbwamwitu and StoppableSan like this.
  9. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

It is a good idea to bring in zebus as companions for Happy and Patty.

Mbwamwitu likes this.
  10. ThylacineAlive

The zoo already has Zebu. I've never heard of domestic cattle being mixed with elderly elephants as companionship before. Has it been proven to work, or has it simply been done once (perhaps as a fluke)?

~Thylo

Mbwamwitu likes this.
  11. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not quite cattle, but Anne the single Asian elephant at Longleat has/had goats in her paddock. But being ex-circus her temperament is probably different to those at the Bronx so possibly not a fair comparison.

12. AmbikaFan

Ironically, we need to be worried about Patty right now. Happy has been getting her companionship and security from deep keeper bonds for more than a decade. I don't think Patty's ever been without a companion since she arrived in the mid 1970s.

This is compounded by the fact that she was diagnosed with TB almost two years ago. Keepers/vets were always wearing masks in the barn. I don't know if Patty was kept in isolation from Maxine or not--but then . Maxine died. Does anyone know Patty's TB status? If positive, she probably couldn't have a companion right now. And has the zoo ever reported what Maxine died of? It was relatively sudden.

Yi Qi and StoppableSan like this.
  13. ThylacineAlive

According to the report by the WCS:
    ~Thylo

AmbikaFan likes this.
  14. ThylacineAlive

The zoo has lost its last Storm's Stork.

~Thylo

Goura and StoppableSan like this.
  15. migdog

That's sad to hear, only saw it on Tuesday :(

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. AmbikaFan

Where do you get such reports? I'm a member but not aware of these. Are they like a press-release file on line?

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

Soooo turns out he's still alive. My friend misheard some information, but the zoo still does have their single male Storm's Stork.

I got this from the WCS Newsroom.

~Thylo

18. migdog

Phew! He was recently moved in with the Roseate spoonbills, I guess because his partner had died. They had a net up to allow him time to adjust to his new surroundings.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

Yeah that was the case back in January as well. He moved from the enclosure at the front of the house about a year ago I think and was kept (iirc) where the Guam Kingfishers are now near the Scarlet Ibis enclosure. I think these moves are because he's lost the ability to fly in his old age, but that's just an assumption. The netting might actually be to keep him in the enclosure because once upon a time I believe the pair were originally kept in that enclosure-- long before I started visiting and taking note so could have been a different enclosure-- and kept escaping and walking around the halls of the building. At one point there were photos here on the forum of them doing so.

~Thylo

20. ThylacineAlive

The zoo has had a female Gelada born.

~Thylo

kiang and StoppableSan like this.