Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 11 Jan 2019.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

kiang, Brum, Coelacanth18 and 7 others like this.
  2. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There was a rogue female capercaillie trying the great escape last week. The keeper had to put the netting down then :)

3. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I wonder what this really means. These are symptoms of neurologic disease and also side effects of NSAID drugs. I understand the need today to be circumspect, but I genuinely want to learn what elephants in human care are felled by. They don't hesitate to provide such info on The Zoo. These are symptoms, not diagnoses.

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The roseate spoonbills in the Amazon Building at Smithsonian Zoo do this too. They fly down from the free-flight level into the exhibit hallway underneath and stroll around. I watched one walk up behind a woman looking at fish and start pulling at her handbag. One of those moments that you wish had been caught on camera.

5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One chased my mom on foot :D

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited the Bronx Zoo this week (for the first time in a year, which is the longest span I have ever not gone):

• A greater mouse deer has been added to the open fronted world of birds exhibit with the tawny frogmouth's.
    • The kea exhibit in WOB is being renovated.
    • A pair of red crowned crane have replaced the black necked crane in Northern Ponds. The black necked crane is now in one of the crane exhibits at the exit of World of Birds, alongside a white-naped crane, emu and 4 grey crowned cranes.
    • Polar Bear exhibit is closed off, as is the path by it. Seemed to be construction work going on. Interested to see what replaces tundra.
    • The Guam Kingfisher is now mixed in the wetlands habitat at the beginning of the aquatic bird house. In the next door exhibit he previously occupied is the storm's stork.
    • Sulawesi Hornbill are now in the longtime kingfisher exhibit next to the laughing kookaburra in the Aquatic Bird House. It is a rather small exhibit for them tbh.
    • The Eurasian eagle owl exhibit in Birds of Prey is being renovated for a new species.
    • The giraffe were inside, as a larger feeding platform is being constructed in their outdoor yard. Potentially for public feedings like at many other zoos.
    • The 4D theater is gone across from the giraffes and is now just a concrete slab.
    • Several slender horned gazelle have been born this year.
    • (1,2) Javan langur were on exhibit in Jungleworld.
    • The white rhino indoor exhibit now features large metal bars as a bar as opposed to a more minimal fencing previously.

7. nczoofan

One other note:

The horned lizards in World of Reptiles were on display.

8. TinoPup

The mouse deer was there when I visited in March but I wasn't sure of the species so didn't mention it. Thanks for identifying it! Did it have the entire exhibit now, or was it still fenced off in the back?

nczoofan likes this.
  9. nczoofan

It had the whole exhibit and was exploring it. Definitely was a crowd pleaser as well.

10. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today, in addition to @nczoofan’s visit notes, some more changes I noted:

- there is now a red-footed tortoise exhibit within Butterfly Garden.
    - the zoo’s last Daurian pika recently passed away
    - similarly, they no longer have ruddy-breasted seedeater
    - helmeted curassows are no longer on exhibit in world of birds. I saw golden-headed quetzal, green honeycreeper, and red-footed tortoise in the exhibit
    - it appears the lesser adjutants successfully bred recently, there are two juveniles on exhibit alongside the adults
    - Indian red muntjac now is in its own exhibit on the monorail, after the first exhibit and before the Przewalski’s horses

11. nczoofan

- They said on my tour they had 2 indian muntjac in there. Later in the same tour they pointed out a older female in the large exhibit after the rhino. It seems like they have them split between the 2 exhibits.

12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo no longer keeps Kea, their last animal was sent to Tracy Aviary.

Well they do have 7 of them.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. A1st

A1st Active Member

Photos from today of Tundra's old exhibit. Landscaping added, visitor path still blocked off

Attached Files:

14. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wonder what it could be? (Steller's sea eagles? Amur leopard? Japanese snow monkey? My shoe?)

AmbikaFan likes this.
  15. TinoPup

Noooooooo :(:( That was tied for my favorite of the birds! Extra glad I did that visit in March, then, and got to see it.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Interesting they filled I the pool, added natural substrate and a lot of small trees. Without any netting I can't see it being home to sea eagles or Amur Leopards. It's unfortunate it isn't going to be home to the leopards since they have one in Jungle World who probably would enjoy the outdoors more (they can handle a NY winter). Maybe wolverines or a small pack of wolves? I wish they would have filled in the front of the moat for more land area space (and maybe glass viewing). Knowing the holding area behind the exhibit I guess black bears could be a possibility, but I feel the exhibit would be too small.

ThylacineAlive and StoppableSan like this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

It's still possible they net it over of course, but we shall see. My guess is either Amur Leopard or another bear species (almost certainly Sloth I'd say). I'm going to hope for wolverine but I think that's being a bit too optimistic.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Quick question: I have the option to visit NYC in late July; is there a zoo I should pair up with a Bronx Zoo visit? I've been to the Central Park Zoo, like, 12 years ago. I haven't been to any of the others, though.

19. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

For a tourist Central Park is probably the easiest to get to. Since 2007 they did open a solid pair of snow leopard exhibits and renovated the old polar bear exhibits for brown bears.

However if you want to go to a new zoo- I do prefer the Queens Zoo over the Prospect Park Zoo. Right now they have Andean bear twins, the large aviary will have more birds and overall I feel the zoo has higher quality exhibits over Prospect Park (too many small exhibits). For interesting and small rare species Prospect Park is better. Both can be reached by the subway (albeit Queens is along walk). You could probably partner either zoo with an afternoon visit back to Central Park.

Buldeo and StoppableSan like this.
  20. ThylacineAlive

Central Park has sort of turned into a Bronx surplus collection. It still has some cool stuff not kept at the other collections, but if probably the least unique out of them all at this point imo. I've done the zoo and natural history museum together in a day before, though, which might be of interest. I've also paired CPZ and Prospect Park Zoo before, as well as PPZ and the New York Aquarium. Personally I'd suggest the latter option, as PPZ has an ever-changing and quite odd collection and the aquarium's new Ocean Wonders: Sharks! exhibit is fantastic.

~Thylo

Buldeo and StoppableSan like this.