Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 11 Jan 2019.

1. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was particularly irked by the visitors saying how irresponsible it was of the zoo not to warn them; there was a sign by the door! Besides, the species isn't even a significant threat to human life anyway compared with, say, a cobra. Of course, a zoo must make certain every animal is secure init's enclosure, but accidents happen.

Sorry about the rant, but the zoo's already in hot enough water for obvious reasons (which the article even touches on) and I'd hate to see this ruin one of the best zoos in America and the cornerstone of my childhood.

Mbwamwitu likes this.
  2. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

The article makes the keepers seem a bit more sarcastic with the public than I would hope they'd be. "It slithered out" (well yes, as opposed to leaping, climbing, jumping, running, none of which snakes can do) or "Do you think I'd be here if it was (dangerous)?" are comments too snarky to be made to paying guests, especially those who may be worried. I wonder why they'd keep the exhibit open when it just attracts bad publicity and bad experiences.

Oh, yes. PAYING customers.o_O

3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They may not even know how the snake escaped. Still, I'd hope the keepers aren't being as sarcastic as the article makes them out. Either way, more bad publicity for Bronx... :(

Mbwamwitu and ThylacineAlive like this.
  4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has just posted on their social media about a recent nyala birth. In the post they mention that more than 100 nyalas have been born and raised since 1939.

~Thylo

nczoofan and AmbikaFan like this.
  5. AmbikaFan

Any word on the snake?

6. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is none, but I have been told by several Central Park Zoo workers and curators that it is truly nothing to be worried about due to their shy nature, the fact that they're rear fanged, and the fact that "the venom doesn't affect people all that much anyway."

Interpret as you wish

nczoofan likes this.
  7. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most people anyway... I understand some people have had serious allergic reactions, although Boiga dendrophila is not confirmed to have caused human fatalities.

My guess at this point is the snake will not be found for a long time, if at all. Though they do have a habit of suddenly reappearing after going missing for a period of time.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  8. ThylacineAlive

A Black-Naped Fruit-Dove hatched two weeks ago.

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana and nczoofan like this.
  9. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I am quite late in offering my thoughts on the Bronx Zoo. So late in fact that I'm not even sure they're useful.

I've ameliorated my original opinion (it wasn't worth the price of admission), but I'm still of the opinion that the paid additions help the zoo rise above most other establishments. If it wasn't for Jungle World and Congo Gorilla Forest I would have been bored to tears.

Madagascar was a great exhibit -- having Malagasy crocs is a coup -- but I wish they had a different or more variety than the standard maki and ruffed lemurs. It does a great job exhibiting/showing the variety of landscapes across the island rather than simply telling you. San Francisco's, for example, is guilty of this despite my enjoyment of the variety of species on display and the amount of space they have both vertically and horizontally.

I am reminded though: Did (or does) the zoo have Congo Gorilla Forest specific merchandise? I was hoping for a coordinates shirt or similar inspired by the video in the main hall. Unfortunately the associated gift shop was closed for the day.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. ThylacineAlive

The zoo keeps Coquerel's Sifaka, Red Ruffed Lemur, Ring-Tailed Lemur, Collared Lemur, Crowned Lemur, and Grey Mouse Lemur.. I'd say that's more than the usual sorts, especially since the latter is only kept by three collections in the US.

I'm not sure about CGF-specific merchandise but I think there might be. The different shops do often carry different merchandise.

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  11. AmbikaFan

It's funny you should mention this. On Member's Night, I was handed a CGF pennant as I entered the exhibit. A pennant! How charming! Complete with a channel to put a stick through to enable waving and cheering. It's been so long since I've even thought of a pennant, let alone seen one, that it filled me with nostalgia. I have no idea if folks in this age of electronics still find pennants entertaining, and I assume they were made for visiting school groups, but I can't help but find it, albeit odd, something that makes me smile. Rah, Rah, Sis Boom Bah! Goooooo, Gorillas!

IMG_20190825_112214215.jpg

12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's so cool, I love pennants!

13. AmbikaFan

Consider it yours!;)

14. ThylacineAlive

The zoo has welcomed a new female Komodo Dragon named Sapphire.

~Thylo

Elephantelephant likes this.
  15. AmbikaFan

I wonder if this has something to do with current female Ivy attacking male Zed when they're together. She draws blood, despite being smaller!

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  16. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have just added two pictures of the upcoming exhibit for Dholes aka Tundra's old exhibit.

There's an unsexed sea lion out that was born July 1.
    Forgot if this has been mentioned- Pudu in the cages near the Mouse House, and have been replaced by Patagonian maras in Children's Zoo

Further, what subspecies is the coati in the children's zoo, and what's the subspecies in CPZ?

StoppableSan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

To my knowledge, CPZ's coatis are non-subspecies N. nasua and Bronx's are non-subspecies N. narica although one or two individuals were wild-born iirc I just don't know from where. I got as far as working out that they are probably nominate.

~Thylo

savethelephant likes this.
  18. AmbikaFan

Well the snake has now been missing 20 days, compared to Mia's 6. It's interesting that I've heard none of the patter made with that escape. It was pretty hilarious, with folks imagining what new hijinks the snake could be getting into each day.

I'm not sure where I heard this, but I've twice come across hints that the Monkey House may be put back into use as an Invertebrate exhibit. Does anyone know what structural/code issues brought about its closure? Or how in Invertebrate exhibit gets past these? I was surprised to see on The Zoo that the basement is still in active use. Why the basement and not the rest of the building?

Thylo, I think your defense of dholes for Tundra's old exhibit has won me over.

StoppableSan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

When did we start counting her days missing? I noted the snake was absent from its enclosure when I visited some time before the official announcement.

I've thought of using the Monkey House as an invertebrate exhibit before, also as a New Guinea house in the vein of Madagascar!. I believe the zoo has expressed plans to reopen it as another small mammals house at some point in the distant future. This is where they plan to add Pygmy Hippo somehow.

~Thylo

AmbikaFan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. AmbikaFan

Lol. Well, I don't think anyone's been counting. I guess that was my point. This seems all but forgotten.

I'm very curious what about the building is structurally dangerous enough that the basement is safer for employees and endangered species to use. I'm guessing asbestos or lead abatement at the very least, and I don't think they have the budget for something big. NZP's late Invertebrates exhibit shows how something can be put together using simple room dividers instead of walls, etc. I doubt something as major as pygmy hippo tanks is a good fit for that building right now, inasmuch as I'd surely love to see one. I haven't laid eyes on a pygmy hippo or Vietnamese pot-bellied pig since NZP's left for the elephant house renovation. What about pygmy hippos in Tundra's old yard?!?! Now that would be fun, even without underwater viewing!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.