Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by AmbikaFan, 10 Jan 2020.

1. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

With the rumor of pygmy hippos coming to the Monkey House, I thought I'd share this article about NZP's record-breaking breeding of the species from 1931-1955. As perhaps the only breeding group in the country, they sent out near all offspring to other zoos. The US population must have been so small that today nearly every pygmy hippo traces its roots back to DC pop Billy. Perhaps our new residents will too!

Goody Goody Gumdrops

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to the zoo's instagram, they've received 7 Little Blue Penguins from the New England Aquarium.

~Thylo

3. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Leaving Boston with?

4. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They likely still have a significant population. Before the Bronx Zoo’s import several years back they held the majority of the birds in the US population along with the Cincinnati Zoo, and had a fairly successful colony.

5. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Bronx does not currently have either hippo species, right?

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. ThylacineAlive

They do not.

~Thylo

7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

They had Common hippos? if so, when?

8. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's plenty of info about them online. They had hippos for many years - WCS Wild View: Looking Back at Hippos - I think into the early 1990s? And were the first to successfully have pygmy hippos, into the 1950s.

evilmonkey239 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

The Bronx Zoo had common hippos at the Elephant House (now Zoo Center) until around the 1970's. During the 1980's (before a major renovation) the Elephant House only had elephants on one side and tapirs, capybaras and Galapagos tortoise on the other (so no hippos or rhinos). Zoo Center opened in 1990 or 1991 so it has been a long time that common hippos have been on display.
    As for pygmy hippos; the zoo had them on display on the top end of the Africa trail (where the Congo Forest is now). That area used to be a small South American section and on the main trail were 4-5 forested exhibits for babirusa, tapir, duikers and pygmy hippo. They had a decent breeding record too, so I was surprised they were not included in the renovation to Congo Forest. Hopefully soon they will rejoin the collection because they are an endangered species and an entertaining animal too.

10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Bronx Zoo has an interesting record of keeping both species of hippos.
    The first common hippoptamus at Bronx Zoo was the famous "Pete" who was born in the Central Park Menagerie on 13th July 1903. He arrived at Bronx Zoo on 14th July 1906 where he lived until he died on 1st February 1953 when about forty-nine years and six months old. For a number of years he held the longevity record for a zoo hippopotamus although that record has since been exceeded.
    I think that Bronx Zoo was the first zoo in the world to breed a pygmy hippopotamus on 23rd December 1919; sadly that animal died the following day although several subsequent young born to the same pair were successfully reared (and the second pygmy hippo born to this pair died in London Zoo in 1949).

11. AmbikaFan

It's sometimes amazing to think of zoos having a much bigger species list, with animals we can't even imagine now. (My jaw just about dropped when I recently learned that NZP had Malayan sun bears in the last 50 years). Providing bigger and better living conditions finally got specimens out of same-size cages, but this came at the price of having room for fewer species. Threats of extinction and the CITES Treaty made it nearly impossible to get new animals. Even though we'd probably blanch at the exhibits, I bet I'm not the only one who'd love to go back 100 years and see species that were once mainstays at our favorite zoos!

12. ThylacineAlive

Bronx in 1902, 1912, 1916, or 1917 <3 (Thylacines)

Or when they kept all three elephant species or maybe even just the 90's so I can remember the Sumatran Rhino, Proboscis Monkeys, African Striped Weasel, Hoatzin, etc...

~Thylo

13. AmbikaFan

Did they really have all three elephant species for a long period, or was the forest elephant a one-time "fluke"? I knew but a fraction of what you guys all know about species when I was your age, and I seem to remember learning about the forest elephant as if if were just being discovered as a third species.

14. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

No Bronx Zoo's forest elephant wasn't "a one time fluke"; New York had four forest elephants:

• male "Congo" 1905 - 1915
    • female "Tiny" 1922 - 1933
    • male "Zangelima" 1946 - 1952
    • female "Doruma" 1946 - 1970

Sadly both of the males were dangerous animals that were eventually shot.

Interestingly "Congo" was the type specimen of pumilio, now normally considered a synonym of cyclotis

15. drill

drill Well-Known Member

any pictures?

16. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Those good old days. Now you have to pray even for changing minds and keeping "ordinary" Asian Elephants in future too.

evilmonkey239 and ThylacineAlive like this.
  17. AmbikaFan

This is fascinating, @Tim May! It is very interestjng, because the competition to select a sculptor to do the friezes of Asian and African elephant heads on the Elephant House didn't start until 1906, with the friezes not completed until 1908. Why did they sculpt only two species if they knew there were three, even HAD all three? Or was the thinking at that time that the forest elephant really was a subspecies of Africans, perhaps the way we look at Bornean elephants today? I'll look into this, because I really think it's only been in my lifetime (which does not go back to the 1900s lol. I'm really only in my 50s, but I've had college students ask me in all seriousness if there were banks "back then" when I was growing up...!)that forest elephants were determined to be a distinct species.

WCS Wild View: Alexander Phimister Proctor and the Bronx Zoo Elephant House o-elephant-house/

For those who are interested, a great article/podcast with pics I don't find anywhere else, especially of the Aquatic Bird House and the Rolling Stone.

The Bronx Zoo: the tale of NYC's biggest animal house - The Bowery Boys: New York City History

Last edited: 27 Jan 2020
  18. AmbikaFan

It wasn't until 2001 when scientists concluded that the forest and Savannah Africans were different species. Great article that describes the forest elephant's adaptation to its surroundings resulting in an animal about half the size of their Savannah counterparts. I wonder if the Bronx's forest elephants were noticeably different in size?

African Elephant Really Two Wildly Different Species

StoppableSan and evilmonkey239 like this.
  19. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Been in Bronx zoo 4 days ago and truly enjoyed my visit, due to unusually sunny Wednesday. Many animals were active outside including huge Thomson's gazelle herd in African plains.
    Was aware of the winter limitations, but this didn't fade my visit and gave me some more time to explore another areas of this enormous zoo.The beautifully preserved historical buildings felt it similar to the classic European collections, but with a Tierpark Berlin scale.

Even not seen the CGF in its full glory, this is, undoubtedly , the Bronx's best exhibit. All the habitats are very well made. The glass tunnel is fantastic and education part is superb.

One of the Bronx's strongest sides, besides their great conservation role is the way they involve the public in it. I have not spoken with any volunteers , but there are many educational displays throughout the zoo, that engaging all generations in an animal welfare.

The collection is very diverse, with some special highlights from European view point, like Napu, Wolf's guenon,Silver leaf monkey, Slender-horned gazelle, Eastern spotted Skuns, Tuffed puffin, Storm's stork, Small penguins, Kiwi, Maleo etc.

The zoo is very consistent and present all animal classes in very good to great exhibits, generally adequate for the residents. The Ungulates and the Carnivores are particularly lucky to live here, with very few notorious exceptions (the Leopard aquarium in the Jungle world).

The Bird collection is also not to miss and even in a old buildings, still has world class appearance. Educational displays in the Bird house also need to be mentioned. I had the rare chance of watching singing Capercaillie in the wild during lekking period, but their exhibit in the Bird house stunned me.

The Mouse house is rare nerd destination. Only Plzen's collection can compete with it, but the presentation in Bronx is better . I missed the Northern Luzon giant cloud rat, but not sure if it still in the collection.

I do not think, that Jungle World or Madagascar can match, what Europe has to offer as of best Tropical/Desert buildings, but the attention to the detail there is very good. The Javan Lutong mangrove trees and Gharial river in the Jungle world and the Spine forest in Madagascar are great zoo scenes.

The legendary Lion/Nyala connected enclosure in African Plains is something, that I wanted to see for a long time and was not disappointed. It would be great, if Burgers was brave enough to do the same in Rimba with Tiger/Banteng connection. @lintworm explained, that they considered it, but there was not enough space for a moat. Tigers probably do better in long jump than Lions, but the moat in Bronx is not so very wide, actually.

The next door Baboon reserve is one of the best of it's kind. I like love the Zurich's and San Diego's, but the huge horned Nubian ibex bachelor herd really impresses here.

South-east Asian, African and Northern hemisphere fauna is very well represented in Bronx with Australia and South America left bit behind. Nevertheless, one of the best places in the zoo is the Aquatic walktrough aviary, representation of the Patagonian cost.

I had a pretty nice overall feeling with Bronx, but need to visit it during the warm months to rate it properly. There are some flows, like a bad signage (especially in the Bird house) and not so very clean facilities, but nothing painful. The animals well being is what truly matters here :)

P.S. One message for the first time New York visitors: If you hesitate to visit the American museum of national history - don't! The African mammal hall is something that you can not see anywhere in Europe. The attention to detail in dioramas is unbelievable with remarkable animal specimens and adequate flora and landscape.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2020
    Zorro, evilmonkey239, AWP and 16 others like this.
  20. AmbikaFan

You are that rare person who takes real time at a zoo. I can never understand how someone can see the Bronx Zoo in a day. Methinks there is a strong correlation between the amount of time you spent there and the comprehensiveness and attention to detail your review has. Thoroughly enjoyed it!