Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by AmbikaFan, 10 Jan 2020.

1. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Twilighter's report makes a good point: the Bronx Zoo is so big that trying to see it all in the warm months when everything is open makes for a far too rushed visit even if you spend all of 10-5 there (I've tried many times but always end up skipping something, usually the Children's Zoo, where you'll find several Latin American species not displayed elsewhere in the zoo, and have to give many exhibits short shrift). One of the nice parts of a visit during the cold months is that you can see everything that's open in one day and do so at an enjoyable pace.

Of popular culture interest, what is now the Ethiopian Highlands exhibit with Geladas, Nubian Ibex and Rock Hyraxes, which Twilighter mentions, was in the movies once. There's a scene in "Altered States" in which the main character breaks into a zoo in Boston and hunts and kills an animal, some species of ungulate, although I don't remember which. The scene was actually shot in the Bronx Zoo, at the exhibit that preceded Ethiopian Highlands (no animal was actually killed, of course, hehe).

I would also like to echo Twilighter's point about the American Museum of Natural History. It just shouldn't be missed for anyone interested in zoology. It is definitely the world's largest natural history museum. Guinness says it's the largest single building museum in the world (they put art museums in a separate, art gallery, category) and, besides the world class, phenomenally detailed African, North American, marine life and bird dioramas, has the world's largest dinosaur collection. (The Asian dioramas aren't quite the same quality but aren't bad.) There's even a book just about the dioramas: https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Nature-Habitat-Dioramas-American/dp/0810959402 And you could earn yourself a degree in Herpetology using all the information presented in the Hall of Reptiles and Amphibians. I live down the street from the AMNH and never get tired of visiting. If the animal exhibits weren't enough to get you to go there, the planetarium is beautiful and has a new sky show that's terrific, the Hall of Human Evolution is captivating, there are a whole bunch of wonderful anthropology exhibits (my favorite is Asian Peoples), and the hall of gems and minerals is about to reopen after a major renovation.

Finally, if a zoo had enough room for the moat, a tiger-banteng exhibit would be great!

2. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very interesting input @Gomphothere ! Bronx is a definitely Iconic American zoo and I recently watched them in Jimmy Kimmel's show with Tracy Morgan :)
    Thank you very much for this book ! I checked in the store for something similar, but found only AMNH Ultmate Guide.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2020
    StoppableSan likes this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not strictly Bronx news, but the WCS has announced a joint effort with the eco-friendly search engine Ecosia (which I use, and highly recommend to all environmental enthusiasts!) to plan to "replant some 900,000 trees in degraded landscapes in Tanzania."

The program will take place over two years and be primarily focused in and around Mt. Rungwe and Njombe Forest. Most trees will be replanted in areas plagued by fire and illegal logging, others will be planted around villages and on farms to both restore forest cover to water catchment areas and reduce dependency on the nearby forests for timber.

~Thylo

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is great, this is one of the prettiest areas in Tanzania and the WCS has been doing a lot of good work there already. Hopefully this planting is successful and the Kipunji as well as the locals will profit.

5. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In a mangrove themed habitat... unless I'm missing something in the sense of the environments Francois' langurs live in, all I can say is... whoopee.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2020
  8. ThylacineAlive

Two old girls left. Or at least that's how it was at the beginning of the year, don't think anyone's checked in in a couple months.

I think this is more due to the lack of any more appropriate langurs to exhibit here. Personally I was hoping they'd go for a macaque species but oh well.

~Thylo

9. StoppableSan

I hope they at least maintain the watercolor sign style that makes JungleWorld all the more beautiful.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  10. ThylacineAlive

They really need to update the signage in the building, though.

~Thylo

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  11. StoppableSan

Maintaining the style while also updating the species list, essentially. Either way, regardless of age, JungleWorld is probably one of the finest rainforest buildings out there, being topped only by Kerzer's Papiliorama and Burgers' Bush.

ThylacineAlive and nczoofan like this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

Amidst all the bad news and zoo closures, Bronx has had one important announcement to make: Season 4 of THE ZOO is returning to Animal Planet on April 4 at 9pm ET!

~Thylo

13. ThylacineAlive

Spoke too soon, the WCS's Run for the Wild has been postponed until September 26.

~Thylo

14. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Would anyone be interested in helping me ID photos I took last March, from the bird buildings and reptile building, and a couple from Madagascar? I didn't really take sign photos so I only know a few species. There's maybe 50 or so photos I need help with. It would be easiest to do via facebook or e-mail, so if you'd be willing to, shoot me a PM so we can exchange info.

15. ThylacineAlive

I'll pm you.

~Thylo

16. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

nczoofan likes this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

The WCS has been pushing a petition to get Congress to add zoos, aquariums, gardens, museums, and other scientific/cultural institutions into emergency relief legislation.

Now for some good news, two Little Blue Penguin chicks have hatched on-exhibit at the zoo!

~Thylo

Mbwamwitu, Antoine, Bubalus and 8 others like this.
  18. AmbikaFan

Wonderful news for a serious day! The Little Blues always make me smile.

There's no doubt that all of these institutions need money from the Congressional Aid Package, but I think it may be too late. The Senate bill did not have these funds, and I heard the House was near a vote. At the very least, Congress should be providing for its Smithsonian components, including the zoo, but since all have free admission, they are not losing money by not being open and in fact may be saving a good bit due to a reduced workforce.

19. AmbikaFan

The COVID-19 closure has led the zoo to do something they've needed to do for a long while--issue a weekly newsletter to members and others. I get one from NZP every week, and it really helps keep the zoo and its animals at the forefront of my mind all the time. I've never understood why WCS didn't do this; it's proven to improve membership and also additional donations. But the only email I get from WCS is urgent please for conservation funds at least every other week. It would be far more effective it THEY offered us some connection to the zoo instead of the constant demands. The other day, the zoo finally sent an appeal to the public for funds to feed the animals, and this clearly felt different. Today, it was followed up, finally, by a newsletter that they promise will be weekly. Here's the link:

http://view.em.wcs.org/?qs=88853129...2a363df66fa86934c1f8778e1bfdde09e98051a2af80b

Now who wouldn't just drink in all of this wonderful coverage?!

iluvwhales likes this.
  20. ThylacineAlive

I received monthly newsletters from the WCS for years.

~Thylo