Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by AmbikaFan, 10 Jan 2020.

1. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A little off topic yet I wish American zoos would focus on gaur, instead of cape buffalo (less conservation value) and banteng (which are better managed in Europe).

pachyderm pro and ThylacineAlive like this.
  2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, especially now that the Gaur program has been abandoned by EAZA, too...

~Thylo

pachyderm pro and nczoofan like this.
  3. nczoofan

I meant at Omaha's safari park. Sad to see such a large herd diminished to basically nothing. I mean that would keep the population going for now but with just 34 animals in the SSP, it can only continue like this for so long. Most of the Asian hoofstock programs have at least 50/60 animals.

If I am remembering correctly I was told once that the gaur spend the majority of time when the zoo is closed off exhibit. As well they are cold-hardy yet need rather consistent access to a heated indoor space, which the larger paddock cannot provide. Hence they likely don't leave the 3/4 off exhibit yards much when it gets cold.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. nczoofan

The ungulate tags seem to be the living in a fantasy world with their RCP and population projections. They want to manage 40 antelope species, 7 goat species, 12 deer species, and 5 bovid species. When at least half of these species are not at sufficient levels without additional space coming online. Leaving some programs for the EAZA such as Banteng and focusing on programs where we have a strong foundation such as Gaur is likely the only remedy. As the number of managed species almost certainly needs to be reduced.

Ungulate Profiles — AZA Ungulates

Also if just a few zoos that hold bison could convert the space over for gaur, the population may have a better chance longterm. I mean its not like the indoor spaces are extensive at the Bronx.

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree re:bison, though I believe the Bronx is also working with the AZA to establish a pure bison program.

As far as those holding pens go, no individually they are not extensive but the video does say normally they don't have them all closed off like that ;)

~Thylo

nczoofan likes this.
  6. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Isolated question: Anybody have any idea what the music is that's the theme song for "The Zoo"?

7. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does Toronto still have them?

8. nczoofan

I am not sure. I know the zoo was sending the species away to be replaced by an outdoor orangutan exhibit. That exhibit was delayed (for the millionth time), so I am not sure if the gaur were sent out yet.

Which leaves Bronx, San Diego Safari Park, Gladys Porter and Miami as the known AZA holders of the species.

Zorro likes this.
  9. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are a impressive species I really hope they can hold on to them and dont end up losing them like they are phasing them out of some European collections

nczoofan likes this.
  10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lee Simmons has them behind the scenes again. Not AZA, but The Wild Animal Park in NY has them, as well.

MidwestFan, Kifaru Bwana and Zorro like this.
  11. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just checked the Website of The Wild Animal Park in Chittenango (I don't even knew that this park exist), but there is no mention of gaurs. Is it a new addition?

12. nczoofan

I know several non-AZA safari parks and zoos claim to have gaur, yet I have seen pictures for several institutions that look closer to the domestic gayal than anything. Again thats not confirmed, just my suspicion.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had the same question.

Under their species listing there are no gaurs on exhibit.
    Link: The Wild Animal ParkAnimalsChittenango, New York

14. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have no idea, I've been focused on finding info about their cheetahs, but I've seen multiple mentions of a Gaur lake exhibit in reviews, etc. I assumed it has, well, Gaur, but maybe it doesn't?

15. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

16. CuseZoofan

CuseZoofan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There has been an on going feud with the Town Supervisor ever since the Owner Jeff Taylor ran against him for the Supervisor position last fall. A pettion is going around with over 40K signatures already to oppose the towns ruling and lawsuit. Essentially the town is trying to come back and say he was never given approval for the safari, in which he says that they walked the grounds with him and did not say he couldn't as a way to remain in business. As of now he is planning to operate for 2020, but after that it is up in the air. And as for Gaur I have never seen them in either the Safari or Zoo.

17. Matt G

Matt G Well-Known Member

Was the Zoo Center an outdated or bad home elephants back then at the Bronx Zoo?

18. A1st

A1st Active Member

Saturday's episode of The Zoo featured the journey of the 3 new dholes from San Diego, as well as a great look at the renovations to Tundra's old exhibit in preparation for them. One of my favorite segments/episodes of the new season so far!

19. Matt G

Matt G Well-Known Member

So, is the new dhole exhibit good?

20. TheZooMan10

TheZooMan10 Well-Known Member

It is open?!