Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 6 Jan 2017.

Tags:
  1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks so much for the updates! I'll be visiting in approximately two and a half weeks, and I can't wait! I'll keep an eye out for the black skimmer as well as the mouse lemurs. I'll probably run straight to the sea bird aviary for the Guanay cormorant first. Is there any chance the lesser adjutant storks will be out by then?

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Odd, the COTR has just been introduced to that enclosure on my visit. Perhaps they didn't do well there.

Perhaps, huge shame if so...

Yeah the zoo has had both spoonbill species for quite some time now :p

I think the zoo has Sri Lankan Junglefowl in JungleWorld, not Red. I've yet to see them there but I'm guessing they got them from CPZ about a year ago.

So they're replacing the old enclosures with the playground? Massive disappointment if so...

~Thylo

3. ThylacineAlive

Jay, wouldn't it be better to hold off your first visit until it's warmer out? That way you have a chance to see the monorail and the outdoor exhibits in their prime. If you were to go once it's open, I'd suggest perhaps the monorail first as that gets crowded and you do not want to wait in those lines. No idea on the storks, it probably depends on the temperature.

Keep an eye out for the capuchins behind the old Monkey House ;)

~Thylo

jayjds2 likes this.
  4. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It seems it'll be in the 60s or so during my visit. I can't really change my visit time because of school, as that's when my spring break is. My summer is already quite packed between volunteer commitments and a promise to make the long drive to visit family (which will naturally incorporate zoos). Also, I really want to see the guanay cormorant, and since it's on it's last legs I would really rather not wait. Thanks for the tip about the monorail. My schedule now does include two full days at the zoo so I could run to the cormorant one morning, and to the monorail the next :p.

Since you've mentioned those capuchins at least twice now, I suppose I'll have a look at them ;)

5. ThylacineAlive

The monorail will not be open yet I don't think.

~Thylo

drill and jayjds2 like this.
  6. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Yeah, the monorail typically opens when... last week of April/first week of May? Looking at the old maps I've collected throughout the years, I've seen opening dates as early as April 26th and as late as May 2nd.

I just cannot believe I've never seen those African spoonbills before, Thylo. o_O:p Looking back at all my videos, I just realized I had not visited the ABH since August 2015, which absolutely blew my mind. Maybe I've seen the spoonbills, but since it's been so long, I just didn't remember them? :confused:

Regarding the construction - there was a sign with a brief description about what was coming. In retrospect, I probably should've snapped a quick picture, but do forgive me - my only mission at the time was to get to Jungleworld before 4:00 to see those gharials, and I was cutting it quite close, haha.

I saw the junglefowl just before exiting the last room, by the way. It was hanging out about 10 feet above the path. The pictures I took seem to confirm that it is a G. lafayettii, as it has a patch of yellow on its comb.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2017
  7. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Spent Saturday at the Bronx Zoo. SIAP, of course. Will post my pics.
    - Mudskipper cage in Jungle World is boarded up.
    -Anyone ever notice that one of the langurs is missing its left eye?
    -Have Falcated Ducks with the monkeys (I believe also in the ABH).
    -Gibbon was all over the place. Saw her by the tapir, where she upset one of the ducks, and she came right up to the window by the rafflesia and sat there for a while. Also saw her by the gharial river.
    - Are at least eight gharials, since I saw two in the water and six on the sand beach opposite viewers.
    -Victoria Crowned Pigeon was sitting on a nest over the tapir pool.
    -Bats were flying.
    -Two biggest reptile cages in the insect hall have a Mangrove Snake and a Timor Python.
    -Saw the Jungle Fowl.
    -Africa corner across from Wild Asia is a construction site for Nature Trek. Sad to think a perfectly good range for an African ungulate is being used for more of the Coney Islandization of the Bronx Zoo.
    -Five cows and one young male giraffe were in the indoor display enclosure. There is a wire mesh box full of covered balls suspended there. Anyone have any idea why?
    -In the Congo, the Long-tailed Hornbill is very aptly named. Gorgeous long tail. Is that species new?
    -Great time of year for birds, since many are in breeding plumage, especially pheasants.
    -Himalayan Monal on display both at the pheasant cages and in one of the cages along the east side of the old Bird House. Spectacular!
    -They now have beer at the main café, which I hadn't noticed before, in addition to the beer counter over by Wild Asia (closed this time). Anyone remember when they used to have a pub between the Birds of Prey and the ABH?
    -Pair of Trumpeter Swans in pond by Wildlife Health Center.
    -Zoo Center: The Komodo I saw was waaaay bigger than last time. Also have four other monitors: Freckled, Yellow Spiny-tail, Blue Tree and Merten's Water.
    -Unnamed snake I couldn't identify in Madagascar, across from the Mad. Ground Boa.
    -Capuchins were out at the Monkey House.
    -Black-faced Ibis and Laughing Thrush in corner cage at old Bird House across from sea-lions.
    -American Flamingos at ABH were very, very brightly colored.
    -Seriemas were in ABH, just before ibis aviary (when entering from south entrance). Seems a bit cramped for them. Female on a nest, unclear whether it's genuine nesting behavior.
    -Last time, Little Blues were by themselves, now several shore birds with them, including the skimmer.
    -African Jungle in WOB very full of birds, lots of movement, including two White-Bellied (Abdim's) Storks (although no label for them).
    -Less movement in South American jungle than in Africa.
    -Lesser Bird of Paradise and two macaw chicks still in nursery.
    -The Northern Ponds seem to have just one lone Trumpeter Swan.
    -Gila Monster cage has several of them now, seem to be younger/smaller.
    -Grand Cayman Blue Iguana cage is as good looking as it seemed on TV.
    -The last two reptile cages at the exit are now both finished, each with a mix of turtles, lizards and birds.

8. Gomphothere

ThylacineAlive and AnaheimZoo like this.
  9. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for more info on the African Plains construction. I wasn't able to take a look at the sign describing the Nature Trek. That is some disappointing news, though. I, like many others, still think the space could make for a good exhibit for either a new species or one already in the Zoo's collection.

You saw the skimmer?! Jealous! Do you have pictures?

Congo's had long-tailed (or white-crested) hornbills, and the Himalayan monals have been on exhibit at both the Pheasant Aviaries and that exhibit near the sea lions for quite a few years now. :p

10. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

Anyone know the names of the 2 white rhino brothers here?

11. S205

S205 New Member

Hari and Zubari are the white Rhinos names

12. Gomphothere

If you google Bronx Zoo and Nature Trek you can find a couple of news articles that give a bit more info about it, along with news of the zip line. No pic of the skimmer, sorry. I know there have been hornbills in the Congo for a while, but had not yet gotten a view of the tail, which is cool. Never noticed the Monals before, maybe because I had not seen them in breeding plumage, which is stunning.

13. ThylacineAlive

The monorail typically open the last week of April for the Run for the Wild.

~Thylo

14. ThylacineAlive

Has anyone been to the Mouse House lately? Any new species?

~Thylo

Grant likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

These arrived from The Wilds in 2011 (both approaching 9 years shortly).

16. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone have a species list for mouse house?

drill likes this.
  17. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Do they have real raflessia?

18. ThylacineAlive

Unless anything's changed since my last visit:
    Degu
    African Pygmy Mouse
    Eurasian Harvest Mouse
    Green Acouchi
    Rock Cavy
    Harris's Antelope Squirrel
    Short-Eared Elephant-Shrew
    Damara Mole-Rat
    Long-Tailed Chinchilla
    Black-and-Rufous Elephant-Shrew
    Screaming Hairy Armadillo
    Northern Luzon Giant Cloud Rat
    Western Spotted Skunk
    Mohol Bushbaby
    Malagasy Giant Rat
    Arabian Spiny Mouse
    Nile Rat
    California Mouse
    African Dormouse
    House Mouse
    Greater Egyptian Jerboa
    Lesser Egyptian Jerboa
    Merriam's Kangaroo-Rat
    Fat-Tailed Gerbil
    Pallid Gerbil
    Bushy-Tailed Jird

I might have missed a species or two.

~Thylo

drill, jayjds2 and Grant like this.
  19. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The article seems to have gotten it wrong, obviously they didn't get slender snouted crocodiles

:p

ThylacineAlive likes this.