Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo Walkthrough

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 8 Jan 2015.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Two acres seems huge for the hyraxes, are they kept at the front in anyway? Or they just prefer to hang around there? Do they ever roam around the enclosure? Is there any danger from native predators to the hyraxes? Birds of prey?

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They usually hang out around the mock rock structure at the front since it has plenty of places to hide though I have seen them in the grassy area before. I'd imagine there is some danger from native predators but just like with prairie dogs in zoos I'd imagine the burrows and crevices in the enclosures protect them for the most part.

~Thylo:cool:

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the burrows and shelves on the rocks are also heated, I understand.

4. ThylacineAlive

I believe so, yes.

I find it funny that savethelephant and I believe LowlandAnoa were the two members who kept asking when the new section would be out and now that it's out, they seem to have disappeared:p

5. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is actually a holding "bunker" built into the rock formation, providing keeper access to interior shelters and winter holding spaces for the hyrax.

6. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

And that, Thylo, is why you don't respond to peer pressure. ;):p

7. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don't think that I asked you.

8. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry I am in Spain right now so I have limited access to Wifi. Great review!!!

9. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

"Sir, the enemy is launching missles!" "Everyone in the hyrax exhibit!"
    :p

~Thaumatibis

10. savethelephant

Now for comments.

I for one LOVE the smell in the giraffe house!
    Really want to see the skeleton as youy may tell by my username!:(

11. savethelephant

Oh and to Thylacinealive

I apologize for all the stress I might have put you through. I realize college is tough and you might not have all the time you want in Zoochat.

12. ThylacineAlive

It's quite alright, I understand wanting the next section to come out as quickly as possible. I appreciate the apology, though.

And for the record, I'm not in college, I'm applying to college:p

13. savethelephant

Ohh, awkward then in that case.:rolleyes:

14. Mikezoo12

Mikezoo12 Well-Known Member

what exhibits are you doing next?

15. ThylacineAlive

Mouse House and World of Reptiles. Might do the second floor of the World of Birds first, though, since it's open now.

16. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

Hurry up!!!

~ Thaumatibis

17. savethelephant

Now now, thaumatibis, be patient:p;)

18. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

*just read it all and wants more* don't forget about this! You're almost done, but take your time.

19. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I have visited the Bronx Zoo on Sunday. Did not take too detailed notes, but here is the summary.
    Due to the cold weather, most of the tropical species were off exhibit. The only species on view in the Congo Gorilla Forest were those that can be seen indoors: Wolf's guenons, birds (I saw Congo peacock, white-crested hornbill, African pygmy goose, and Guinea turaco), and reptiles/amphibians/fishes/inverts (I did not take a complete list but I definitely saw African rock python, Ornate monitor/black mud turtle, ball python, Calabar ground python, African bullfrog, clawed frogs, African lungfish, goliath beetle, and other fishes and inverts). Gorillas were inside, and I caught a glimpse of 2 sleeping ones in their indoor exhibit room - all others were off exhibit. Species on exhibit in Madagascar were more a less same as what I saw during my last visit in 2016: Coquerel's sifakas, ring-tailed, collared, and red ruffed lemurs, ring-tailed mongooses, fossas, Nile crocodiles. I also saw 2 mouse lemurs (first time for me), Madagascar ground boa, Madagascar tree boa, Madagascar hognosed snake, tomato frog, also radiated and spider tortoises. I know that zoo sometimes rotates crowned lemurs with sifakas, and I'd love to see a crowned lemur, but both times I visited Bronx (in 2014 and this week) only sifakas were on view. Most of the African species were off exhibit - in fact the only African animal I saw outdoors was a male gelada and a hyrax. Giraffes could be seen in their indoor building, and I also saw an active aardvark, dwarf mongooses, and Decken's hornbills building, but the Maxwell's duikers are apparently gone. In Jungle World I saw a single Matschie's tree kangaroo, small-clawed otters, Javan langurs (I only saw 3), silvered langurs, a (very active) Malayan tapir, 2 black leopards, tree shrew, Indian flying foxes, Sri Lankan junglefowl (first for me!), scaly-sided mergansers, Fly River turtle, giant gouramis, and some herps and inverts (I remember seeing mangrove snake, Timor python, spotted climbing toad, Bornean eared frog, and Roti Island snake-neck turtles). I spent some time trying to see pygmy slow lorises and greater chevrotains, but they were hiding.

20. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

In Himalayan Highlands I saw 2 snow leopards, a red panda, Temminck's tragopan, and 2 white-naped cranes. Tiger Mountain had 2 Amur tigers (one in each of the exhibits). I also saw Pere David's deer, black-necked crane, and a number of waterfowl species (whooping swan, barnacle geese, bar-headed geese, white-fronted goose, hooded merganser, ruddy duck, lesser scaup, canvasback, and others). Polar bear, brown bears, and California sea lions were also on exhibit, but bison for some reason were off exhibit.