Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo Brookfield Zoo: Ideas, Dreams, Hopes

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 12 Jan 2020.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Recent discussion of cancelled exhibits on this thread, plus the zoo raising admission and being left out of the state infrastructure bill has gotten me thinking about this. This is a link to the zoos 2009 master plan from over ten years ago. This was originally what the zoo was projected to look like around this time or at least a rough version of it. However, if you take a look at this document you will find that only two projects on it actually became reality. Great Bear Wilderness - then called Great Wild North - and a renovation to the dolphinarium. I think the master plan is actually a really great concept despite a few inconsistencies and it has gotten me thinking about how great the zoo would have been if these plans became reality.

Over the past decade progress at the zoo has been - to be it lightly - less than stellar. Great Baer Wilderness was a very good addition that mostly well received, but the only other major exhibit complex built was 2015's Hamill Family Wild Encounters - a children's zoo with an extra fee on top of general admission. Overall, not bad for a children's zoo but it absolutely lacks the wow factor of a major exhibit. There have been a few other minor additions through the years (pangolin exhibit, rainforest aviary, small antelope yards) but it's effectively been since Great Bear Wilderness when the last major exhibit complex was built. The zoo is deteriorating in many places and really needs some TLC. Attendance has been a bit down in recent years because of the lack of progress, so now the zoo has recently been forced to raise admission prices to fund repairs of aging areas and build new exhibits.

I've expressed my disposition with Brookfield's current state many times already so I apologies for the lengthy exposition, but now for the whole point of this thread. What are your ideas, dreams and/or hopes for the zoo? I know many takes on this have been posted on threads such as "Changes you Would Make to Your Zoo" and other alike threads, but considering Milwaukee has a similar thread to this, I'm interested in hearing some opinions on this especially from other locals.

I'll post my own thoughts when I have more time, but I would love to know, how would you fix the Brookfield Zoo?

CMP and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. drill

drill Well-Known Member

The zoo is progressing in small interesting species that don't interest the public at large. The baboon rock was a big mistake.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  3. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Habitat Africa: The Savanna
    (This could be a light reno of the existing exhibit along with an incorporation of Pachyderms nearby)
    • For the gerenuk/nyala/RRH exhibits, get rid of the chain link fencing and incorporate into a single "mini" savanna, eliminating as many crossviews as possible. (RRHs in the Savanna could be sent to other zoos, and warthogs could be brought back)
    • Remove the brick retaining wall that demarcates the painted dogs' moat.
    • Add natural substrate to the Kopje aviary, especially the klipspringer exhibits.
    • On some empty land east of the giraffe yard (near the old aardvark exhibits) a new lion exhibit complete with a moat, harp-wire and glass views could be constructed. To complement the wild dogs' kopje, the lions could reside in a more open grassland environment with undulating terrain and views of the nearby giraffe/hoofstock
    • (Maybe bringing back aardvarks as well would be nice. :p)
    • An exhibit for leopards could be constructed as well near Lions?
    • Utilizing the land of Pachyderms (the outside yards at least)/Hoofed Animals (along with one of the kangaroo yards closest to the pygmy hippo exhibit) a series of interconnected habitats could be constructed for a rotating cast of animals, namely elephants, black rhinos and cape buffalo. (Ergo, the Big Five)
    • Elephants in particular could live in yards where guests have absolutely unobstructed views, via moats and ha-has. Their habitat could stimulate Miombo woodlands, and even incorporate more hoofstock such as wildebeest, lesser kudu, sable antelope, etc.
    • The Pachyderm Building would be expanded somewhat/renovated heavily in such a way that while the art-deco entrance is maintained, the abstract angular rock surrounding the building is removed/replaced with kopje rocks and planted berms. The interior could be a large "community center" for elephants to congregate and spend the harsh Chicago winters, complete with a large skylight implementing light throughout the building. (Possible holding for rhinos/buffalo, maybe it could also include a walkthrough aviary for oxpecker as well, with signage about symbiotic relationships?)
    • Zebras could be incorporated in a separate exhibit taking up some of the hoofstock yards (being constructed in such a way that A, is cohesive to the original Habitat Africa, and B, doesn't feel like a typical hoofstock yard)
    Habitat Africa: The Forest
    • Utilizing a less-intrusive fencing for the okapi/duiker outside exhibits could help make things more cohesive.
    • Natural substrate/opportunities to go outside for the inhabitants inside the building could be added.
    • Possible reintroduction of mudskippers in the stream leading to Okapis.
    • Reintroduction of forest buffalo into the complex...?
    Tropic World
    • The original cutouts in the entry queue that looked like they were from a children's book could be brought back.
    • All the flooring in the exhibits would be razed, and replaced with a dense soil used for planting. Essentially, what Lee Simmons did for establishing plants in Lied Jungle.
    • Speaking of plants, plants native to the animals' regions would be implemented so as to provide a better context to the animals' environments.
    • Climbing structures would be maintained, however (given a new coat of paint to look more naturalistic, as per Zoo Atlanta's original buttress root detail for their Monkeys of Makokou exhibit back when it first opened)
    • Added species for South America: (agouti? capybara? (In terms of larger animals)) (howler monkeys? capuchins? (in terms of primates)) (oropendola? troupial? sunbittern? toucans? macaw? jacana? scarlet ibis? (in terms of birds)
      Possible herp displays? (Anaconda, red eyed tree frog, mata mata?) Added species (for Asia): More birds? (Palawan peacock pheasant, white rumped shama, bali mynah, emerald dove, bleeding-heart dove?) More primates (silver-leaf langur?)
    • As for the orang/gorilla enclosures, natural substrate/plants could effectively dominate the space (along with the existing climbing structures), and maybe some gourds/vines could be used to quickly provide a "jungle" feel.
    • Possible conversion of the first part of Africa into a walkthrough Colobus enclosure...?
    • Possible introduction of lemurs in Ramar's old "retirement" home? (Or long-tailed hornbills, just heavily plant the space to look like a mature canopy)
    • Building outside enclosures for all primates (possible use of some of the West Mall, the Adventures of Agua and the bird show to create a gorilla/orang exhibit akin to Bronx' Congo or San Diego's Gorilla Tropics/Absolutely Apes?)
    • The land close to the Hamill Family Nature Center could be used for the South American primates...?
    The Living Coast
    • BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL GRAPHICS/THEME OF THE ORIGINAL COMPLEX (rare species are nice but this is supposed to be a PERUVIAN COASTLINE, not a mishmash of original and new graphics that just looks like an absolutely dissonant mess). @geomorph's review back in 2010 sums up what I feel was the complex in its prime.
    • *maybe* an addition of an outdoor exhibit for the penguins would be nice.
    Feathers and Scales/Birds and Reptiles
    • Aside from a possible link between the two complexes along with several interpretives about dinosaurs (mostly being connected with birds rather than reptiles), nothing else really needs to change.
    The Fragile Kingdom (now Desert's Edge/Clouded Leopard Rain Forest and a series of grottoes)
    • GENERAL: Introducing skylights/outdoor exhibits for all mammal species...?
    Desert's Edge:
    • The new lighting system they plan to implement's a really good idea
    • Maybe moving the bat eared-foxes to the current porcupine exhibit and moving porcupines to live with the meerkats?
    • Reintroducing sand cats to the current bat-eared fox exhibit could be a good idea apropos of the SSP.
    • Introducing more natural elements for the coati/ocelot (more branches instead of hammocks? Hammocks are nice but only for BOH areas)
    Clouded Leopard Rain Forest
    • A link between the current clouded leopard/binturong exhibits to create one cohesive exhibit for the leopards could be constructed. (The binturongs could be moved to an outside exhibit or into Tropic World to live with the gibbons, otters and orangs (and potentially silver-leaf langurs))
    • All exhibits would receive natural substrate in the form of mulch and soil (potential plants after implementation of skylights or nah?)
    Pinniped Point
    • Replacing the land areas with natural beach areas (pupping beach with shallow water area for mothers/pups), especially including sandy patches might be more conducive for the animals' health.
    • Reintroduction of Walrus...?
    Seven Seas
    • The dolphin exhibit could be renovated to look in close proximity to mangroves.
    • (Speaking of mangroves, several rare species could be implemented that live in mangroves, such as fiddler crabs and other animals I can't think of at the moment)

ZooFan1, CMP, evilmonkey239 and 8 others like this.
  4. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Reintroduction of walrus would be great, but there are so few in US facilities, I don't see this happening. Current thought process is to group the walrus in larger groups to try to increase reproduction success. Most cows of breeding age are now grouped at either SeaWorld Orlando or SeaWorld San Diego. It is possible juveniles will need space if breeding is successful!

5. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Though not realistic, I would LOVE if they brought back giant pandas, and renovate the former Bear Grottoes into a space for them.

6. JOSEPH E KOSIEK

JOSEPH E KOSIEK Member

Would love to see cheetahs and pandas.

CMP and StoppableSan like this.
  7. Amphibiman

Amphibiman Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a long list here of some improvements I would like to see. I tried to keep it more general as in ways that these can improve and move somewhat toward the master plan concept. The master plan now is outdated for the most part, though. I did use the concepts I really enjoyed, though. I tried to stay away from just animal species I would like to see, because honestly, we could all go on and on about what we want to see until we are blue in the face because we want to see it all, honestly.

My big things are:

-No unsightly chain link fencing.

-Natural substrates

-Natural rockwork

-Make everything look more natural, honestly. It is jarring to see random unnatural things just jumping out at you when the excel at it so much.

Hoofstock Row:

-Relocate all animals on hoofstock row, demolish it and create something new. I have included what I would put there in the sections on Australia and Habitat Africa: The Savannah.

Australia:

-Firstly, where the Bactrian Camel and P Horses are, I would relocate them and that is where I would put the exhibits for Kangaroo, Wallaby and Emu.

-I would like to see the area with the Cape Barren Geese moved to across the path in front of the kangaroo statue. It’s a horrible place for it and it is just a chain link pen. You will notice that I find chain link horrible and I never like to see it anywhere.

-Since the kangaroos, wallabies and emu would be moved in front of the building, remove that section and replace it by extending the building in order to showcase more species from Australia and Oceania. I often find these species are underrepresented in a zoo and, especially in light of the catastrophe they are facing, would be a good opportunity to expand and educate people on those species, such as koalas, cassowary, multiple interesting bird, reptile and amphibian species… Right now, they are spread all over the zoo and it seems as if the current Australia house is lacking and if they consolidated, they could tell a more cohesive narrative of the wildlife of Australia.

Habitat Africa: The Savannah:

-This will link into the Pachyderm House as well, but I love the idea of expanding into the former hoofstock yards and creating a large area for African Elephants. If we ever see them again. If not, this area would be beautiful as a large multispecies savannah.

-I would find a better way to demarcate the moat for the African Wild Dogs. I don’t know whose idea it was for those pavers to be used, but it really takes away from the natural element of the area. I supremely dislike it personally.

-I love that they gave the Klipspringers outdoor access in good weather, but once we get into this area, as well as the Nyala and Red River Hog area, it’s a whole mess of chain link. These should be redone with new fencing. Hopefully something more natural looking and not like those wild dog pavers.

-Relocate the lions over to this area and build them a nice exhibit on some of that unused land.

-I would also enjoy seeing the aardvarks come back.

Habitat Africa: The Kopje:

-Add natural substrate. Those klipspringer exhibits are nothing but bare mock rock throughout.

-Speaking of the klipspringer exhibits, when they are outside due to good weather those exhibits are just completely empty, leaving the main atrium with two large exhibits with nothing in them. Find a species that could work there in the summer months would be helpful.

Habitat Africa: The Forest:

-Get rid of that chain link. OMG. That pen they built for the Red-Flanked Duikers in the warm weather is an eyesore. As are the pens around the other duikers, okapis, red river hogs…They could be replaced with a less offensive alternative or hidden better. They certainly stick out horribly.

-Natural substrates.

-I hear there were mudskippers in this area previously? Not sure what happened there or how they were incorporated but if someone knows I would love to know this.

Pachyderm House:

-Keep the black rhinos. They are doing well there. Also, the pygmy hippo. I would relocate the tapirs and anteaters elsewhere, as well as the tortoises. I will note where in the sections on Reptiles & Birds, Feathers & Scales and The Swamp. This would have been a fun location for a small kopje exhibit for the rock hyrax to display them against their cousins, the elephants, but I hear they are already relocated. It probably wouldn’t be hard to get some back, though.

-Replace the faux rock exterior with something more natural and pleasing to the eye.

-Expand the rhino enclosures out further into the sides of the mall promenade. It is just wasted space.

Great Bear Wilderness:

-I generally enjoy this location. I see that there is a small animal building in the plans that I would have loved to see. Displaying species native to North America such as salamanders, native fish, insect species…

-I would have loved to have seen the planned Raven exhibit near the Bald Eagle exhibit.

The Living Coast:

-What happened here. It is still a beautiful complex, but whatever message it is trying to send is muddled. This was initially supposed to be a South American coastline exhibit. I see they have been aiming more at just filling this with a variety of species from around the world. This is unfortunate, as this location is right in the middle of the South American Marketplace. Theming aside, the intent of this exhibit is muddled.

-Cohesive signage and a redirection back to south American coastal species would be beneficial.

Feathers & Scales:

-I see nothing wrong with this facility at the moment.

Formal Pond:

-I would relocate the white pelicans over to an area for them in Great Bear Wilderness or in Salt Creek Wilderness.

-I would keep the South American idea going on this side of the zoo as much as possible. I would love to see the formal pond rehabbed and to be able to have flamingos displayed there again.

-I would keep the section they created for the tortoises there as well, although, I may move them to a small section in the Nature Pavilion area during the appropriate weather.

Reptiles & Birds:

-I see nothing wrong with this facility at the moment.

Nature Pavilion:

-Aside from adding a seasonal South American tortoise exhibit, I think this area is fine.

The Swamp:

-For a while this area had a really cool South American animal focus until you got to the Illinois section. I would keep the Illinois section as it ties it together nicely, but I would refocus again on South American animals for the main exhibit areas.

Hamill Family Play Zoo:

-Not very familiar with this area, honestly. I have been in it maybe twice.

Tropic World:

-Natural substrates throughout.

-More natural elements throughout.

-Repainting of the entire facility and get rid of the abstract faux rock for something more natural looking.

-Create smaller exhibits along the path for different species (reptiles, amphibians, insects…) related to the continents in question.

-Outdoor exhibits for the primates. Expand into the malls. I always thought the malls were a waste of space. At least the sides of them. You can keep the central path of the mall, but those side areas are just empty. Expand the primates into that area.

Wild Encounters:

-This area is fine.

Former Bear Grottoes:

-This area needs to be redone. I would personally love to see a Himalayan theme to go along with the Asian theme they indicated on the master plan. It can be redone and could house species such as a netted aviary for Himalayan monal, some of the smaller antelope species...Possibly even as one large multispecies Asian mountain exhibit.

Seven Seas Dolphinarium:

-Could use an update visually. It is very 80s-early 90s in there. I would also love to see the tanks expanded for the dolphins as well. Honestly, if there’s to be another renovation anytime soon, a larger tank for them is always welcome with more chances for enrichment.

Pinniped Point:

-I always thought more natural substrate would really improve this area. I am sure that with anything like that, though, there would need to be an overhaul of their filtering system, in case any particles get lodged in there and screw it up.

Clouded Leopard Rainforest:

-I enjoy the idea from the master plan where this area is dedicated to Asian species. This would be a great way to open it up to that, as this is already themed to an Asian rainforest. I really enjoy this exhibit and think it needs no major overhauls.

Big Cats:

-Change the name. I like the idea of keeping the leopard, tiger and snow leopards. I would also keep the sloth bears in this area, possibly in the opposite side with rehabbed bear grottoes. I know dall sheep were kept there for a while, but they could be redone to house the sloth bears. All of those grottoes need a major overhaul, though. I know that they already had one, but they still are outdated for their purposes.

-I enjoy the idea of seeing them expand into this mall as well and adding the Bactrian Camel, P Horses and Takin.

Desert’s Edge:

-With the theme of this area being Asia, I would love to see this area rethemed again. I know when it opened it was a loosely themed general desert concept. I am one who really appreciates zoogeographical layouts. I would love to see this rethemed again as a possible Gobi Desert theme. There are so many interesting animals from that area that would tie this area together beautifully. Housing animals like sand cats and the like. Honestly, with the inclusion of a small mammal house elsewhere in the Habitat Africa area, a lot of these animals can be relocated into that area. The coati and ocelot could move elsewhere. Ocelot can possibly have a nice exhibit in The Swamp if they add some fencing. There would definitely be a lot more climbing opportunities for it. Same with the coati, honestly.

Kifaru Bwana, CMP and StoppableSan like this.
  8. JOSEPH E KOSIEK

JOSEPH E KOSIEK Member

Wow you must donate a LOT more than I ever have.

9. Amphibiman

I think that this is in the long run, really. Right now, I know it pains us, but we really do need to see a downsize in spending from the zoo. The Nature Pavilion was needed as Baboon Island really was an eyesore. Frankly, it may have been more beneficial down fill it in and replace it with an indoor/outdoor enclosure for the Galapagos Tortoises since they are bulking up nicely. It probably would have been more cost effective as well. At any rate, yeah. Those ideas are long run ideas and wouldn't happen anytime soon. I do feel they would improve the zoo a lot, though, in making it more cohesive all together.

In the short term, and I know it pains a lot of us to hear this, but it would be beneficial for the zoo to downsize it's current collection in order to help cut costs. Refocus that money on improving the zoo that we have. Once that has been brought up to par, then bigger picture items can be addressed.

There are other cost saving (for the zoo, anyway) ideas that they are implementing in the future. On my last visit I heard that they are planning on doing away with the free refill program, for instance.

CMP, Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Amphibiman

I do donate yearly. I also maintain a membership and do the animal adoptions for various family members and friends as gifts throughout the year.

The problem is all finances it seems. Brookfield needs to take a look at their spending and see where they can feasibly make cuts that make sense. All the while maintaining their customer service and animal care standards. It's a tightrope walk and not one I envy.

Some of these comments make it seem as if the zoo is falling apart, though, and I want to reiterate that it is not. There are areas that need better upkeep, there are empty exhibits, but I expect that to happen for a while here as the zoo experiences the pressures of having to balance that budget in order to get a surplus in order to make the necessary repairs and upgrades to their facilities.

Right now isn't the time to focus on the next big exhibit, but upgrading and repairing those that we have. Once that is completed, we can look to the future and build a brand new exhibit.

I think a big way the zoo can help it's earnings as well is upcharge events. I love the animatronic dinosaurs coming for the Dinosaurs Everywhere event this summer, but I don't think it should be all over the zoo. I think a specific section and an upcharge would be necessary. If at least just to pay for the exhibit to come in anyway. If they at least break even, then there is no problem there. No harm, no foul. Extended hours events as well may help bring in more money and guests. People always get upset about the upcharges, but they often do help get those bills covered.

I was also thinking more fundraising events to help bring in more money. The zoo hosts many events, but they always seem to overdo it and spend more than they often make on those. It would be beneficial to them to look at those costs and see where cuts can be made while still making it a very good event in order to help them make money.

I also do not live in the area, so I am unsure what marketing the zoo really does aside from Facebook and Instagram. Do they do television spots? Radio? I see billboard on my way up there, but that is about it. And I rarely hear about their events aside from the membership information I receive via email or in the mail.

Those are just some of my ideas. .

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They have not done TV spots in my lifetime at least. They advertise their holiday lights on radio in December. Beyond that, never seen any advertisement.

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. pachyderm pro

Alright, my turn. Let me forewarn you this is a very long and in depth "mock master plan" and is incredibly ambitious. I may have went a little too far in some places but that's half the fun of stuff like this ;). This plan would affect every exhibit in the zoo in one way or another and would likely cost and astronomical amount of money and work in real life. Some of it draws inspiration from the original master plan and some of this overlaps with what some other members have posted above. I went in with the goal to maintain as much of the existing collection as possible and overall I feel it went pretty well. The only major species that would have to be removed would the sloth bears, harbor seals and tapirs (though even the latter two could still be implemented if space is there). I also wanted to add some rarities, but I tried (key word being tried) to keep it realistic. I also altered many of the non animals areas such as entrances, restaurants and plazas.

The end goal here was to make the Brookfield zoo on par with San Diego, Omaha, Bronx and the other top zoos in America. This is why at least 80% of the existing zoo will be dramatically altered and I am very happy with the results of what I came up with. Considering the zoos current financial state, the idea of pulling something like this off seems like merely a pipe dream, which it is. However, if the money were there, this would undoubtably elevate Brookfield to one of the best in the nation status. So sorry for the lengthy exposition, here is my rather ambitious vision for Brookfield.

Tropic World: Outdoor Exhibits
    • I would separate the expansion and renovation of tropic world into two phases. Phase one would add on outdoor exhibits so species normally indoors can go outside and be on public view while phase two is under construction. Phase two would include renovating the existing indoor exhibits.

• The first outdoor section is the originally planned Gorilla Rescue from the master plan above with some modifications. This would take up the west half of the west mall and includes two exhibits. First an outdoor exhibits for the namesake gorillas. It would be viewed immediately after exiting Tropic World and is a long heavily shaded habitat. There are multiple glass viewing shelters for great views of the gorillas. The second habitat would be an island for all of the primates in Tropic World: Africa. In this plan that would include red-capped mangabeys, Allen's swamp monkey, colobus monkeys, and mandrills. There would be a gazebo viewing shelter like depicted in the plan. If overcrowding becomes an issue, the mandrills could receive their own outdoor habitat.

• The next outdoor section would be Orangutan Forest. This would be the outdoor exhibits for the asian species. I wasn't completely sure where to put this originally, so I decided on using the former bird show area to create an island for the primate species in Asia. It would be connected to Tropic World. It would be for the gibbons and orangutans.

• The final Outdoor segment is - you guessed it - Tropical America. This is a single exhibit for all of the species in the main South American habitat. It would be on the open plot of land in the Hamill Family Nature Plaza closest to the building. It would be a tall exhibit but also feature enough ground space and a pool for the land mammals.
    Tropic World: Indoor Exhibits
    • For the indoor exhibits, a lot of work needs to be done. All three areas need to have the following. A) Repaint the fake trees to a brownish color and try to make them look more realistic B) Replace the fake logs and plants with real ones. C) Cover at least 80% of the forest floor with mulch and plants to give the animals natural substrate. D) Add new species to fill the exhibits that feel more and more empty as time goes on, including...

• New Species for South America - Add red-faced spider monkeys, capuchins, and capybara to the main exhibit. Make new exhibits for small herbs and fish along the wall of the exhibit, as well exhibits for caimans and anacondas.

• New species for Asia - none in the main exhibit. Gibbons can be territorial and won't easily get along with more primates. Add exhibits for tree shrews and burmese pythons.

• New species for Africa - mandrills and red-capped mangabeys for the main exhibit. I definitely agree with putting a hornbill inside of the old gorilla retirement home, it would allow for plants to grow and make for a really pretty exhibit. Also include exhibits for togo slippery frogs and rock pythons.

• Add a few more free flight birds to each room as well.

• Now for the most ambitious part of this plan. There's no reason why the orangutans need their own exhibit. They get along perfectly well with the gibbons (which have managed to find ways onto the island in the past) and have been mixed with otters at many other zoos. So my proposal is to destroy the entire island and level it with the current gibbon area. Essentially replace the island with an extension of what the gibbons have and give both the orangutans and gibbons full access to the entire area. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it practical? No. Would it be cool? Absolutely!
    Habitat Africa: The Savannah!
    • Keep the existing giraffe, painted dog and kopje exhibits the same (maybe adding some sand to the klipspringer exhibit(s) would be a good idea though).

• Tear down the Australia house, pachyderm house and the row of hoofstock yards to make way for new African exhibits. I contemplated keeping the pachyderm building around for historic value - and perhaps it still could with some extensive renovations, but it feels like too much of an eyesore to be maintained. Additionally, expand into the empty field behind the hoofstock yards.

• New exhibits to be built would be for elephants, rhinos, lions, two mixed species hoostock yards, two African bird exhibits and a renovated plaza.

• A Pair of exhibits for black rhinos essentially be an extension of the existing pachyderm building and would extend into the existing kangaroo and emu exhibit. They would add up to about an acre in size. The pachyderm building can be converted into a rhino breeding center and a new indoor exhibit could be built with the same idea of this now scrapped plans for an indoor elephant exhibit in the pachyderm building.

• Speaking of elephants, add four large yards that would be interconnected through a series of bridges that go over the heads of guests like the master plan exemplifies. These would be naturalistic grassy yards that would create a panorama with the existing giraffe exhibit. Ideally, a family heard would be housed here and these yards would take up the existing nyala yard, gerenuk yard, Australia House, empty field by the old aardvark house and newly developed land. A new elephant barn would also be built on undeveloped land and be one of the most ambitious of its kind. A large day room with real plants as decor, soft substrates, an indoor pool with underwater views ala Zurich/Leipzig with daily baths and natural lighting from the roof. It would be sort of like an expanded apon version of the Zurich elephant house.

• Two new ungulate yards with large herds of gerenuk, nyala, giant eland and marabou storks in one, the other holding sables and zebras. The former would be between the elephant yards and have their barn connected to the elephant barn.

• Lions would get a new exhibit on undeveloped land. It would be reminiscent of the SDZSP’s Lion Camp and feature multiple viewing points. The goal would be to maintain a breeding group.

• Two new exhibits for african birds can be built. An island for shoebill storks and small duck species can be built where the existing west rhino yard is and the rhino barn will act as the holding/off exhibit area. Another bird exhibit would be built across the giraffe viewing hut on a forested area. This exhibit is based on a wetlands marsh.

• New outdoor klipspinger exhibit that modeled after the kopje. It would feature big boulders and be located on undeveloped land.

• Renovated viewing plaza for elephants, giraffes and painted dogs. Pave over the existing viewing plaza and provide a full panoramic view of all three habitats. Plus, add “Snacks on the Savannah” (a small snack and refreshment area) and a small gift hut.
    Habitat Africa! The Forest
    • Combine the existing okapi and yellow-backed duiker exhibits (the ones you see when you first enter the exhibit into one large mixed species exhibits. The second okapi yard can also be accessed by the duiker as well.

• Bring back forest buffalo to the collection in the yard they were in previously.

• New exhibit for pygmy hippos with underwater viewing. Can be built on usused forest across from the outdoor red-flanked duiker exhibit.

• Aviary featuring congo peafowl and small birds across from the first okapi/duiker yard.
    Australian Trek
    • Replacing the existing camel yard and a portion of the North lot and undeveloped land.

• Outdoor exhibits for kangaroos and emus, wallabies and pademelons, wombats, echidnas, kookaburras and koalas.

• Continue the current houses theme of light and day with a daylight portion and nocturnal portion.

• Daylight portion will feature several herpes exhibits, two fish tanks, a bird aviary and an indoor koala exhibit.

• Nocturnal room would feature indoor exhibits for wombats and echidnas, plus another fish tank and an expanded bat walkthrough.

• Educational play area for kids and rest area for adults.
    Siberian Escape
    • Replacing the outdated cat grottos and some of the land across from it.

• New Exhibits for tigers, amur leopards, snow leopards, bactrian camels and przewalski's wild horses.

• The cat exhibits would be similar to how depicted in the original master plan. A rotation element could exist, but each yard would be tailored to a certain species. They would all be netted over and feature viewing through glass and netting.

• The first exhibit would be for tigers. The first viewing shelter would have an underwater viewing shelter similar to what's depicted here. The habitat would slope up from here as would the visitor pathway. Viewing would be through netting for the rest of the exhibit

• The second exhibit would be suited for amur leopard. It would be filled with climbing structures. It would similarly slope upwards like the tiger exhibit.

• The snow leopard exhibit would be the most unique of the three. It would be a slope in the opposite direction of the other two and would include a dynamic view from a boardwalk. The wall where the existing glass viewing cave is would be turned into an alpine hillside and emulate the leopards native terrain and showcase their climbing skills. The glass viewing from this exhibit would also be from an elevated point of view.

• Across from the cat yards would be a single yard mimicking an Asian steppe style area. It would be a mixed species yard for the camels and wild horses and stretch all the way through the exhibit similar to how the yard(s) are depicted on the original master plan. It's admittedly a bit of a tight squeeze, but luckily both species are pretty cold hardy and don’t need a massive holding area.

• An education center would be built in between the two leopard exhibits that would have views into the two leopard exhibits and the hoofstock yard.
    Amazon Research Center
    • Replacing Feathers and Scales and a portion of the formal pool.

• Exhibit species here that are spread around the zoo in areas where they shouldn't be, and wouldn't fit into Tropic World. This includes ocelots, coatis, tamanduas, macaws, orinoco crocodiles, andean condors (renovated exhibit) smaller herp species and a tropical avary (existing).

• The building would be expanded out from the existing Feather and Scales building, essentially doubled in size expanding out to where a portion of the formal pool is now. A boardwalk would lead you to the entrance and would also be viewing for the nearby flamingo exhibit.

• Instead of the gallery style exhibitry the building has, it would be set up as a single pathway exhibit in the same vein as Clouded Leopard Rainforest and Deserts Edge.

• Keep the tropical aviary the same as is (although removing those ugly rock formations in the back would be ideal, and filling in the open air viewing with glass would be necessary for the rest of the exhibit to work). Add a rest area so guests can sit and watch the birds.

• Ocelots would have and indoor and outdoor exhibit on the North end of the building that would be filled with plants and climbing structures. It would be viewed through glass.

• The coati exhibit would essentially be a tropical version of their current exhibit at Deserts Edge. An exhibit with plenty of vertical height where a large group could be held.

• Orinoco crocodiles would have an exhibit with a large underwater viewing window.

• Herps include amazon tree boas, poison dart frogs, glass frogs and other species scattered around the zoo.

• If possible, bringing in giant armadillos would make for an excellent exhibit showcasing how their burrows benefit many animals in the environment. If not, a smaller armadillo species would work just as well, maybe even mixing them with prehensile-tailed porcupines.

• Renovate the condor flight cage to include glass viewing windows and large boulders and more trees to emulate the high altitude regions of the Ades.
    The Living Coast
    • This exhibit should definitely have its original theme restored instead of just being a generic aquarium. This is an exhibit based on the coastline of Peru, so replace the great lakes tank, cave exhibits across from the penguins, and other miscellaneous tanks with species you would find in the oceans and coastlines of peru.

• Give the penguins access to large tank before the coastal birds exhibit like they used to.

• Reopen the vampire bat cave, it had no reason to be removed in the first place.

• Add a yard for galapagos tortoises across from the existing condor flight cage. They may not be peruvian animals, but considering the relatively close proximity to the galapagos islands it would make the most sense to put them here.

Flamingos and Animal Ambassador Amphitheater
    • Replacing the existing formal pool and the old reptile house, a new flamingo pond and an outdoor amphitheater for animal ambassador shows.

• Chilean flamingos and Andean flamingos would have a semi tropical pond that's smaller and more condensed than the existing formal pool to encourage breeding.

• The Animal amphitheater will essentially be a replacement for the existing nature stage - a small little stage by the existing rhino yard that never gets used - and will have presentations twice a day. It would fit nicely next to the hamil family nature plaza.

• The existing animal ambassadors such as tamanduas, porcupines, snakes, hawks, macaws and servals could be used, and the program can be expanded to include additional species such as pangolins, penguins, echidnas, reindeer and other interactive animals.

• The original master plan depicts a similar plan, so you could probably get an idea of what I'm referring to.

Seven Seas & Pinniped Point
    • Combine these two exhibits into a single exhibit that’s based off of the oceans and beaches of the world.

• Improve the land areas of the pinniped exhibits by adding sandy shores instead of pure concrete (agreeing with @Wyman almost entirely here when it comes to the renovation of this area).

• Replace the harbor seals with walruses. They were once an iconic species for the zoo and should be brought back.

• Condense the furthest two pinniped pools at the end into one larger exhibit.

• Make all three exhibits rotational (although the sea lions and seals can coexist).

• In the Seven Seas, add additional aquariums to compliment the dolphin tank for smaller fish and coral.

• Expand the dolphin pool by combining the existing space with the space taken up by the off exhibit pools in the back. This would effectvely double the current space they have. Then build new off exhibit pools behind that.

• Add a few permanent enrichment devices to the dolphin pool (food drop devices would be neat) or something else to engage the dolphins more.

• Make the stadium less cheesy and add some real plants to help depict a more tropical coastline.

• Expand the seating of the stadium to account for the larger dolphin pool.

Great Bear Wilderness
    • These renovations wouldn't happen for quite a while as the exhibit is still very modern and new, but there are a few things that would elevate this exhibit to a higher level.

• Add a red-tailed hawk aviary to complement the bald eagle one. This could be built in between the wolf exhibit and the eagle aviary.

• Add pronghorn to the bison yard.

• Fill in the moats of the bear exhibits and replace them with glass viewing windows. It give the bears a bit more space and can get them closer to the guests.

Deserts Edge
    • Restore the original theme of a North African desert.

• Add improved lighting as is currently planned.

• Bring back the caracal and rock hyrax in their previous exhibits.

• Add outdoor exhibits for the caracal and meerkats. Caracals where the current amur leopard exhibit is, and meerkats by the empty field next in between the entrance to Deserts Edge and the Discovery Center.

• Add a few small reptile exhibits throughout the building.

• Add aardwolves to the african crested porcupine exhibit.

Clouded Leopard Rainforest
    • Add natural substrate and plants to the clouded leopard and fishing cat exhibits.

• Improve the lighting in this exhibit as well. I get it's supposed to be a nocturnal rainforest, but it would be nice if it were just a bit brighter.

• Redo most of the herp exhibits, and get more species that are found in Borneo.

The Swamp
    • Divide this exhibit into a “Swamps of the World” style exhibit. The entrance up until the alligators would be a Florida Everglades. The terrariums from there would be a South American Marsh, than followed by the existing Illinois section.

• Bring back American alligators where they once were.

• Build an outdoor otter exhibit in the front of the building near the wildlife trading post gift shop.

Hamill Family Exhibits
    • After a certain amount of time, make these exhibits free. I don't agree with the idea that children's zoo should be an extra charge, let alone two.

• Make the play zoo essentialy the home for the zoos animal ambassadors that don’t already have an exhibit elsehwere in the zoo.

• Renovate the lemur exhibit by making the outdoor yard larger and addding natural subtstrate both indoors and out.

• Make a pathway that connects these two exhibits together. Also build a new pathway to access these exhibits easier so families won't have to go through the inevitable panda viewing crowd. Speaking of...
    Panda Wilds
    • Renovation and replacement of the old Bear Grottos into a pair of exhibits for giant pandas.

• Two exhibits for giant panda that are viewed from the path by Wild Encounters. The furthest east yard will have a glass viewing window though the exhibits will mainly be viewed like a standard grotto, but with a small slope instead of a moat. They will be grassy, heavily planted and filled with climbing structures.

• Keep the rock walls of the old bear grottos as a backdrop to keep some historic value.

• Turn the Beer Garden and old dall sheep exhibit into a panda house with four indoor exhibits. Natural substrates and plants would fill out indoor exhibits viewed through glass.

• Decorate the area with bamboo stalks and other Chinese themed elements and feature daily panda presentations.
    North Entrance Renovation
    • Fix up the back end of the North lot. It's shabby, crumbling and underutilized. Make it the same quality as the front half and make a new bus lot.

• Change the tent like ticketing section into a more modern and professional station.

• Change the shabby gift shop in between the historic bathrooms into a new guest services center.

• Renovate the existing gift shop.

• Build a new fountain across from the entrance to the Discovery Center

• Move the butterfly walkthrough next to the Discovery Center and make it a free exhibit.

• New cafe and seating area replacing the existing one.

• On the site of the current butterfly exhibit and tram ticketing, build new open air travel station featuring a small gift shop, tram station on the first level (and instead of four stops make the tram one single 40 minute loop around the zoo) and add a second level with a sky tram.
    Chicago Zoological Society History Museum
    • Replacing the old Perching Birds building, a museum dedicated to the zoo's history and evolution inside of one of its oldest and most historic buildings.

• Inside would be historic photos of when the zoo was being built, first opened in 1934, as well as any major events that occurred throughout the years.

• Statues and memorials of iconic animals such as Binti Jua the gorilla, Cookie the cockatoo, Ziggy the asian elephant, Magic the dolphin, Olga the walrus and whatever other animals being Chicago icons through the years.

• There would be a small gift shop in the current aviary in the building that sells old school zoo merchandize, history books, old school posters as well as some generic zoo shop gear.

• Add some classic moldarama machines to this area as a throwback to zoos old school area.
    Odds & Sods (Minor Changes Around The Zoo)
    • Redo every cracked pathway and crumbling sidewalk in the zoo.

• Restore and renovate the south entrance and the small cafe nearby.

• Renovate Cafe De Soul, the gift shop, and other minor touch ups to the plaza by The Living Coast to create a South American market place esque area.

• Plant more trees and plants around the grounds to “beautify” the park. Perhaps even add some green roofs and use more natural energy.

• Improve food options around the park.
    I'm sure that was a lot to take in. I would love to hear some thoughts on what I presented.

Mr.Ivory and birdsandbats like this.
  13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How would the zoo obtain pademelons, Red-faced Spider Monkeys, or African Forest Buffalo? :p

For the most part I like your plans. My few problems are that I don't really want to see pandas at Brookfield and I think losing Feathers and Scales would be a massive loss to the zoo. Also, I think Reptiles and Birds would be better with live animals than as a museum.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. pachyderm pro

They could all be imported from European zoos. I even believe there may be some buffalo left somewhere in Florida, though I'm not sure if that info is still accurate. To be fair, I said this plan was a bit over ambitious didn't I ;). I'm shocked you didn't even bring up the giant armadillos!

Whats wrong with pandas? Sure there probably the most overrated zoo animal out there, but Brookfield was the first zoo in America to ever have them and the bear grottos would make a perfect home for them with a proper rejuvenation, not mention what a hit they would be with guests.

In regards to Feathers and Scales, I really don't see this as much of a loss. Besides the rainforest aviary - the one aspect of the building I would keep around - what else does the building have to offer? The reptile exhibits are uninspiring and downright boring and the birds can be displaced throughout the zoo easily. And yes, the old bird house could be an animal exhibit, but it's such a nice historic building that a tribute to the zoos heritage seems like the perfect reuse.

evilmonkey239 and MeiLover like this.
  15. JOSEPH E KOSIEK

JOSEPH E KOSIEK Member

If we could only get everyone who enters the gates to donate think of the zoo we could have. And thank you for donating and being a member.

16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I forgot to mention the Giant Armadillos.

The price for pandas is ridiculous. They are high upkeep animals and China is.. well.. look this one up.

The Desert Aviary.

17. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes! Someone with the same exact mindset as me! In fact, I think in the 40's/50's, the zoo's last giant panda lived in the bear grottoes.

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. pachyderm pro

Sure, they are extremely costly and their policies for husbandry are indeed quite strict. And of course the political relationship between the US and China isn't great right now, but luckily this is a fantasy plan so none of that really matters at the moment does it? :D

In all seriousness it just feels right. Pandas aren't everyones cup of tea but are undoubtably crowd pleasers to the general public and can really elevate the public perception of a zoo. Not to mention they fit perfectly in that specific area.
    You know what, fair enough. However, those two aviaries carry the entire building. Remove them at whats left exactly? In my plan the best of those two stay and I don't think the Desert Aviary - an admittedly very good exhibit - can save the building from being replaced by better.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. Amphibiman

Given the current trade issues the United States has with China, I doubt that we will see Giant Panda coming in any time soon.

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Might get some backlash on this but what I would like to see revamp the old bear grottos for smaller bear species aka andean sun and asiatic the exhibits that look like were to the side of the bear grottos possibly badger and or wolverine or maybe other fox species. Maybe bring manned wolf. Getting rid of baboon island was a bad idea could of made a underground tunnel and some other climbing structures and did a rotating outdoor exhibit for all 3 primate areas. As for pinpead point less need for sea lions as fun as they are to watch there shenanigans nature, have the more rarer species maybe hooded ringed harp seals greys and harbor put in the biggest enclosure together. Hoofstock enough room to put multiple species together. Maybe bring in Arabian orix rarer antelope species same goes for the antelope area rid the chain link fence and make it a multiple species watering hole. Bring back the Forrest buffalo and red river hogs. Feathers and scales add on for more reptiles possible for other crocodile species. As for the grottos stretch them out for more room. Move sloth bears over to the bear grottos with other smaller bear species bring other cat species be it jaguar or puma or other subspecies of tiger or lion or Lepord. Tropic world add howlers and capuncins have capybara Asia add possible proboscis silverleaf langur possibly rid the small clawed otter to swamp area maybe move the binterong for Asia or it's own exhibit in tropic world move ocelot to binterong exhibit. More climbing structures to let orangutans to explore all exhibit. Possible Malaysian tapir in slew of small clawed otter. Africa bring back mandrill and or drill for 4 small species of primate and or extend ramars old area so all 4 to 5 small African primates have that area and utilize the bigger area for bonobos. Dolphin area get rid of bottlenose and bring in a smaller dolphin species pachyderm house remove the tortoises and anteater bring in another rhino species greater 1 horned rhino and another tapir species. Leave as is I like what they have just add sand on concrete so softer laying but for easier cleanup it's what I have so far can possibly think of more