Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo Brookfield Zoo: Ideas, Dreams, Hopes

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 12 Jan 2020.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I decided to revise this plan a little bit. A few things seemed a little too ambitious and few things feel like wasted potential. I went back and adjusted things where I saw fit and now, I feel 100% confident in my ideas at this point (although I do have one other exhibit concept I may post later on). So...

Asian Escape: Instead of my previous plan which would only take up the cat grottos, I deduced to have this plan extend all the way to the abandon bear grottos as well. Pandas are cool (no matter what zoo nerds say) but realistically won't be happening for numerous reasons. Not to mention with such an elaborate African zone planned in the form of the Habitat Africa Expansion, It would seem strange to have such an insignificant Asian zone. So instead...

• The complex begins with two forested habitats for tigers. They would both be modeled after San Diegos Tiger River exhibit back when it was first opened with streams, dense plantings and unobstructed views. There would be a small interpretive center in between them with glass viewing into both yards.
    • This would be followed by a long, grassy yard for the wild horses, tufted deer and bactrian camels similar to what I had originally planned. This would extend all the way from the exhibit entrance (the same as where the big cat entrance is now) all the way to the old grottos where the hooftsock barn would be. This barn would also connect to next yard.
    • Also on the site of the old grottos, a mountain exhibit for golden takin and Chinese gorals similar to Omaha's recent exhibit.
    • Continuing back up away from the existing old bear grottos, the next exhibit would be a small yard for sarus cranes. Additionally, a small play area based on the nesting area of these cranes would be a pleased addition.
    • Next up would be another smaller yard for muntjacs and some wading birds.
    • Across from that yard would be a small hut for venomous asian snakes. Four sizable lushly plated terrariums for pit vipers, cobras etc. There would be a plenty of graphics to educate the public.
    • The last two exhibits would be for leopards. Amur leopards in a smaller, forest edge exhibit with glass fronted windows that would be roughly three times the size of a current habitat. Snow leopards would be the closer with an impressive overview of a mountainous landscape viewed from a glass viewing shelter that would be raised above the rest of the exhibits.
    Herpetarium/Avian Center: I had originally turned Feathers & Scales into an Amazon complex and Reptiles and Birds into a museum. I decided that turning these into dedicated, separate bird and reptile complexes was a more sensical idea. Keep the plan for a flamingo pond and bird show theater replacing the formal pool and the old reptile house.
    • First up, a new herpetarium to fill Reptiles and Birds. Two new outdoor exhibits would be added that connect to the existing building. The first being a glass-fronted exhibit for Komodo dragons taking up the west side of the building. The other being a yard for large tortoises on the east end.
    • The gallery portion of the herpetarium would be divided into temperate rainforests, tropical rainforests and deserts and would exhibit species that fit that biome.
    • I would love to see the conversion of the old aviary into an indoor home for Komodo dragons. It would include natural sunlight and would serve as the centerpiece of the herpetarium. Title it something like "The Dragons Den" and add some more live plants.
    • Now for the avian center. Not too much would need to happen here.
    • Replace the center reptile exhibits with an educational area about the birds present in the facility.
    • Where there is currently a memorial for George B. Rabb (which could and should be moved to the Discovery Center by the North Gate) add a tropical exhibit for the zoos ambassador macaws. This is the only new exhibit I could see being added to this area.
    • Minor touchups to the two smaller tropical aviaries on the side of the entrance to the building.
    • I would specifically love to see capuchin birds added to the large tropical aviary.

Habitat Africa: I would mostly keep the plan I had for this complex originally the same. The only things I would change would be to have just three elephant yards - that again would be connected via bridges - and it turns out the lion exhibit can be built on already developed land - over the existing zebra yards. However there is one big change I do want to make.
    • Nile hippos may be significantly more common that their pygmy cousins, but a large breeding heard of these guys would be an absolutely brilliant sight to see. Make an exhibit on the open plot of land northeast of the giraffe yard with underwater viewing and a proper grazing area.
    • A large Hippo house would be a necessary addition that would be able to act as the cut off from the nearby Salt Creak Nature Trail to better separate these areas. It would be adjacent to the outdoor yard and similar to it feature above and underwater viewing. Picture a smaller version of the Berlin hippo house but with an actual land area.
    • Adding in a nearby sitatunga exhibit would also be a welcome addition. Brookfield has a history with these antelope, so it would be great to have them back in the collection. Create a marsh exhibit on the site of the current addax exhibit and barn.
    Tropic World: I'm still satisfied with the indoor changes, however I don't believe I gave the outdoor exhibits enough thought.
    • Name the outdoor exhibits as one single area named "Tropic Trails."
    • Make the old bird show area into the outdoor exhibit for the smaller African primates. Have it be a meshed exhibit that can only be viewed after immediately leaving tropic world through a glass viewing shelter.
    • Make the outdoor gorilla exhibit only partially enclosed by glass. Make the glass view be what you see after exiting the building, but make the other end an open view.
    • Continuing down, a proper outdoor exhibit for the orangutans and gibbons on the east end of the west mall. Make it an enclosed exhibit that allows the primates to climb high enough to the point where they can be seen from almost anywhere in the zoo.
    • Add a small gift shop and plaza between the outdoor ape enclosures.
    I think that should do it. Combine this with what I had said/typed previously and thats probably what I would do with the zoo if I had unlimited funds. It's always fun to toss ideas around and I its been great the ones I have seen from other users. I would love to show my ideas in more detail by creating an actual map similar to what has been done by @Anmltrnr98 on this thread for the Pittsburgh Zoo. Does anybody know what resource one can use to make diagrams like this?

2. bgeezle513

bgeezle513 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I will be in town at the end of the month is Brookfield Zoo worth visiting in the cold we have been to Shedd and Lincoln Park

3. pachyderm pro

Absolutely! Luckily, much of the zoo is indoors so the cold is easy to escape. Not to mention that many of the cold adapted animals are extremely active outdoors (snow leopards, bears and bison are highlights in that category).

bgeezle513 likes this.
  4. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does the zoo still have a royal antelope ?

bgeezle513 likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No.

Rayane likes this.
  6. pachyderm pro

Recently I've taken a look back at the book "Let the Lions Roar!: The Evolution of The Brookfield Zoo." I have talked about this book before, but at the back end of the book there are mappings of what were at the time future exhibits such as the original plan and concepts for The Swamp and The Living Coast. However among them there are also a handful of scrapped exhibits that never came to fruition, so I figured I would post them here for those who are unable to get their hands on the book (though I absolute recommend it).

There were additional habitats planned for Habitat Africa beyond what we have now, several in fact. I'll break this up into separate sections.

• For one, lions were originally going to take place of the existing painted dog exhibit, with the dogs getting an exhibit where the bison barn is now. Bongos would have had a yard adjacent to the dogs.
    • The Forest would have mostly remained the same species wise, but the layout would have been quite different. Instead of a more condensed entrance, there would have been a play area based on deforestation that opened up into the forest exhibit. There still would have been two okapi yards (with the duikers mixed with them as oppose to their own exhibit) and a forest buffalo yard, but no sign of the river hogs. The building would have also been a bit smaller than what we have now.
    • Now for the really exciting parts. Just west of the giraffe yard - where there is currently an empty plot of land - there would have been multiple new additions that really would have fleshed out the area. First is a marsh area that is viewed from a boardwalk. There would be exhibits for leopards, sitatunga, waterbuck, pastas monkeys and a marsh habitat. There also would be an African restaurant overlooking the monkeys as well as something called the "Forest River Ferry" (boat ride perhaps?).
    • That area would have led to a new African pachyderm house for rhinos and hippos. Hippos would have had underwater viewing, and rhinos would have had two yards - one of which would have curved around the North end of the giraffe yard. There would of course be indoor viewing as well.
    • On the other end of the area (on the site of the existing Australia House) would have included a small African Village plus another large exhibit that would have taken up the current antelope paddocks. I can't quite read what it says (it looks like it would have been a great elephant paddock), but it looks like it may say cheetah, in which case would have been an absolutely massive exhibit.
    The other exhibit that never came to reality was a planned "Islands" exhibit. This would have been a similarly massive exhibit that would have taken up almost the entire southwest end of the zoo including The Living Coast, both Reptile/Bird houses, the old reptile house and the Nature Plaza. This one was quite a bit harder to read, but I was able to make out a few things. There were plans for a Madagascar exhibit (lemurs probably), two large aviaries (one walkthrough), and a penguin exhibit (outdoors, and on the sight of where the current one is). Not as many details as Habitat Africa, but it still looks like it could have been a really great exhibit.

I do envy these exhibits never being built. Habitat Africa could have been elevated from a decent African area to one of the best ones out there, and The Islands exhibit sounds like it had potential to excellent. I figured this would be the place to bring these up and I could upload photos of the site plans for these areas from the book if people would like it. I will warn you that they aren't great quality.

7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

PLEASE DO THAT'LL BE AMAZING!!! I've been wondering for an unbearable amount of time what would have been for Habitat Africa.

8. pachyderm pro

9. pachyderm pro

So I decided to revise my original plans. Keeping my ideas for the bird/herp buildings and Australia complex the same. I specially wanted to alter my ideas for Tropic World, Habitat Africa, The Hamill Family Play Zoo, and new Asian and Ocean exhibits. Please excuse my rambling, it's just fun to talk about ideas like this and right now I really don't have too much better to do. I recommend reading my previous concepts first, to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Tropic World: Upon further research, it appears that langurs and gibbons have been kept together successfully. Therefore, I would love for a species of langur to be added to the main exhibit. Otherwise, keep the indoor portion I already mentioned the same. However, the outdoor portion should be changed up a bit. Using google maps, I actually was able to overlay San Diego's gorilla and orangutan exhibits perfectly onto the west mall. I seriously underestimated how large the mall really is. So I would definitely move the South American exhibit over to this side as well, model it after the proposed mandrill exhibit on the 2006 master plan. Speaking of which, build an outdoor mandrill exhibit on the site of the old bird show area. Finally, there should be enough room

Habitat Africa: I actually really like the original 1980s plan for this exhibit I posted above. I'd like to see it go through with just a few changes. For one, replace that too small looking leopard exhibit with a new outdoor klipspringer exhibit. Add zebras and ostrich to the waterbuck exhibit, and replace the hippo exhibit with an extension of the west rhino yard. Also replace the patas monkeys with vervet monkeys. Otherwise, I'd love to see this plan executed as intended.

Besides that, there are a few more things I would change as a result. Replace the pachyderm building with a new lion exhibit and a larger walkthrough aviary with free flight shoebill storks. as the stars. If there is enough room, I would also like a yard for kirks did-dik and spurred tortoise. Additionally, I condensed the elephant exhibit into just two yards, one for the main herd and one for a bull. To take it a step further, perhaps giving the giraffes access to the herd yard would be a neat addition ala Dallas. Lastly, as much as I would love for the buffalo to return, it realistically won't happen. As a result, move the red river hogs to their old yard and convert the current hog exhibit into a new pygmy hippo exhibit with underwater viewing.

Hamill Family Play Zoo: So, in ideal world I would like for this to be free, but again the odds of that are extremely low. So, keep the old plans intact except for one major addition. Convert the gardens behind the building into a walkthrough lemur exhibit. Keep the current indoor exhibit intact, so it can act as the lemurs winter accommodation. Replace the existing outdoor lemur exhibit with a small stage for daily animal ambassador presentations.

Asian Escape: So originally I had this exhibit stretch all the way from the cat grottos to the old bear grottos. However, instead I actually am downsizing just a bit and having it go until the castaway grill. This basically leaves the old bear grottos untouched. However, I would turn the bear grottos into an event plaza - like the 2006 master plan suggests. It may seem strange, but considering how popular the zoos "Summer Nights" event has become it would be a shame to have to remove it. Luckily exhibits for tigers (x2), Amur leopards, snow leopards, hoofstock (x2) and perhaps a small aviary or two could all still be included.

Ocean Odyssey: Now for the most exciting idea I wanted to talk about. I have been debating weather or not keeping dolphins at the zoo is a good idea for some time now. The current stadium is large, but I consider it pretty outdated. For a while I thought getting read of dolphins wouldn't be a bad idea, but I created an exhibit where I think they would work well. Ocean Odyssey would essentially replace both the dolphinarium and pinniped point. Considering the immaculate size of the dolphinarium, destroying will be an undertaking, but luckily this is a fantasy plan so that really isn't my problem is it? :p. Here is what I'm thinking.
    • Instead of four small pinniped pools, destroy them all and create three much nicer and larger exhibits. One for seals (grey seals and maybe a rarer pinniped like a fur seal species), one for walruses, and one for California sea lions. Include wave machines in all of them.
    • Now even though there are only three pinniped exhibits, technically there still may be four. My idea for the sea lion exhibit is that a bridge goes in between the exhibit, giving the sea lions and opportunity to swim under visitors. On the other side of the bridge is a small land area that leads to another exhibit... the dolphin tank. Inspired by Tierpark Nurnberg, I would give the sea lions access to the dolphin pool separated by a land area so the sea lions can access the pool and also keeps the dolphins from getting into the sea lion exhibit.
    • For the dolphins, I would love to see a large outdoor lagoon style exhibit replace the outdated stadium and plaza. I actually overlayed Nurnberg's exhibit and it fits perfectly on the site of the current area. Include a play area and a large outdoor seating area for twice a day presentations.
    • Of course, a new dolphin house will also be needed to deal with the harsh Chicago winters. Call it the "Dolphin Research Center" and basically, it could be the same size - maybe slightly smaller - as the current pool. Of course, the building could be much smaller by removing the giftshop and all of the bleacher style seating that the current one has, but this move will effectively double the dolphins space. Include the off exhibit and nursery pools in this building plus a few research areas. Perhaps even including some smaller fish tanks would fit here as well. Provide above and underwater views of the dolphins.
    • In between the pinniped and dolphin exhibits, and underwater viewing area of course. Views into the dolphin/sea lion exhibit and all three pinniped pools. There would even be an overhead view where the sea lions transition over to the dolphin exhibit.

10. JOSEPH E KOSIEK

JOSEPH E KOSIEK Member

I just love these idea's!!

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. JOSEPH E KOSIEK

JOSEPH E KOSIEK Member

Bamboo rock was fantastic originally, but it just didint keep up with the NEW theme.

12. ZooNerd1234

ZooNerd1234 Well-Known Member

I’d like to see eventually elephant make their return and someday outdoor ape exhibits because in the tropic world they never get to go outside which isn’t good!

13. pachyderm pro

While the world is on pause during quarantine, I spent some time to create a visual for my ideas for the zoo by editing the original 2006 master plan to fit the mold. A lot of it is rough around the edges, but is the best I could do with my limited editing skills. I used google maps to match the proportions of the plan to the actual site as best as possible. I also went ahead and added a few more things, such as a koala complex in the Australian zone, an outdoor clouded leopard exhibit, an African village, and an addition to the bird center. It's not perfect, but overall I am really happy with how things turned out.
    Brookfield Zoo Master Plan Concept.jpg
    Also, I have seen a lot of talk of using undeveloped land for some expansions, so I used google maps to try and see where that would be. Surprisingly, I don't think there is any more room for the zoo to expand. The East end of the zoo leads to an open road and a nature preserve, the south end leads to a neighborhood, the west end has the nature trail, forest preserve and BOH areas, and the only area where the zoo could expand would be the brookfield woods in the North end of the zoo. There really isn't too much land the zoo can use to expand to.

14. bgeezle513

bgeezle513 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've been watching a youtuber recreate Brookfield Zoo on the game Planet Zoo I would like to see your ideas on here brought to the game too

15. Amphibiman

Amphibiman Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Since I have nothing but time on my hands now, I decided to look back on my ideas to help improve the zoo overall. Here is my revised update for what I would love to see incorporated into the zoo and improvements to existing infrastructure.

Hoofstock Row

-remove it and incorporate the hoofstock into other areas of the zoo. Please read further for ideas on how this can be done. I am a firm believer in making things as natural and immersive for the animals and guests as possible, so eliminating chain link or other unsightly views is always high on my list.

Australia
    -Start by expanding to where the Bactrian Camels and Przewalski's Horses are. Make these the outdoor yards for the wallaby and emu with a nice walk-through like currently exists in Wild Encounters.

-Where the yard exists before you get to the Australia house, relocate the Red Kangaroos there. I enjoy the outlooks they have on the back side of Australia house for them, but I would relocate those to this side and allow for it to be viewed from here instead, saving the other side for an expansion of the Australia house.

-Remove the Cape Barren Geese from where they are currently. That has always been a dismal place filled with chain link and no good viewing for any animal that has ever spent time in there. Relocate them across the way, possibly near the entrance to the wallaby and emu walk-through.

-Expand the Australia building and improve on its infrastructure. I forget how old the building is, but there are a lot of exhibits in there that haven't aged wonderfully. I enjoy the opening of the house with its rustic field station approach featuring fish, reptiles and a few birds from the Oceania. I would make the Kookaburra the permanent residents in the large aviary at the back, though. Once it gets to the nocturnal section it begins to lose it for me. The center exhibit currently housing the Echidna's is a 70's wood paneling nightmare. As is most of this area. A revamp with better ventilation would work wonders for this area. Get rid of the wood paneling. Even a nice mural would be better than what is currently there. Add rockwork to the sides of the exhibit instead of the horrible wood paneling. They have that nice aviary in the back of this section as well that would be perfect for the Tawny Frogmouths. The only other area in this section is the Wombat and that area could have more natural substrate and some digging opportunities for the animals, as right now there is not much to it. I think the free-flight Rodrigues Fruit Bat aviary is fine as is, but I would move the Egyptian Fruit Bats in the back to a different location in the zoo as they do not geographically fit and no one knows they are there unless they are...well...us. I would expand the building from here into the former cape barren goose and kangaroo exhibits. This would give a good chance to showcase other animals native to Australia and Oceania. Given the location, these exhibits can have indoor and outdoor viewing. Add some further exhibits for other lesser known fauna from the area. I would love to see some invertebrate exhibits. Quoll, Tasmanian Devil, Bilby, Bettong, Potoroo, Possums and Sugar Gliders would all be interesting additions. There is lots of room by expanding out that can be utilized for these species.

-Where the current unused eating area is, I would build a small house to use as a free flight aviary for the finches and doves that are currently in the aviary at the back of the main hall in the Australia house. The addition of koalas to this area would be welcome.

-An outdoor exhibit like the African wild dogs by where the kangaroo statue is for Dingo would be a nice addition to top it all off.

Habitat Africa: The Savannah
    -Using the existing Pachyderm House (aside from giving the exterior rock work a good facelift and closing most of the interior to the public to expand their winter quarters into most of the building to give them more room during those months) I would expand the area for wider expanses for the Pygmy Hippos and Black Rhinoceros. I would remove the Galapagos Tortoises, Tapir and Giant Anteater to a more appropriate location as described later.

-Find a better way to demarcate the moat for the African Wild Dogs. I really dislike those pavers as they are not natural and take away from the experience. The dogs don’t care one way or the other, but…ugh.

-Using the remaining former hoofstock yards and the large portion of unused land in that section of the park, expand and make way for a possible future African Elephant exhibit. I know it has been a long-term goal to eventually get elephants back in the park. I honestly do not want to see them unless they can give them the room that they need to thrive. This would be a fantastic area for it. Just please make sure that the service road behind the elephant enclosures are hidden and not with that horrible chain link that is all over those yards now. They would all need to be torn down and redone with a wintering house during the colder months.

-Get rid of the chain link extravaganza that is currently the outdoor exhibits for Klipspringers, Nyala and Red River Hog. Also, the bars that are used for the Dik-Diks and Gerenuk. Replace them with a more natural barrier. I like that they all have outdoor access in decent weather, but they could be more pleasing to the eye to draw more attention to them, as I rarely see people congregating around those areas.

-The watering hole section needs to be redone with that chain link, but I would also add back in the Ostrich and get rid of the Red River Hog from this area and replace it with the Warthog. Red River Hogs already have an exhibit elsewhere and it is redundant.

-Recently (ish) my personal favorite animal was removed from the zoo. That would be the Aardvark. I would love to see the aardvark exhibit refreshed and brought back so that it wasn’t so hidden from public view. Literally no one knew it was there.

-If it would be possible to expand the Aardvark building, I would add exhibits for the Crested Porcupine, Fennec Fox, Bat-Eared Fox and Meerkats.

-Relocate the lions across from the giraffes in a nice kopje style exhibit with more room to roam. Following the path from Australia and into Africa, seeing the lions on one side with the giraffes in the distance and the possibility of elephants in the future on the other side I think would make a powerful entrance point to this area.

Habitat Africa: The Kopje
    -Every dang exhibit here needs natural substrate. The reptile exhibits I believe are the only ones to have it. The winter klipspringer exhibits are nothing but bare rock throughout.

-As the klipspringer exhibits are often empty during the warmer months, it leaves the main atrium of this area very empty aside from the free-flight birds. I would add something to those exhibits. Possibly find a way to create a barrier and bring back the Rock Hyrax.

-There is a large empty exhibit that is literally a dark hole in the wall currently. It used to house Trumpeter Hornbill if I remember correctly. If possible, I would redo this area to house the small-spotted genet from Desert’s Edge.

There is a small area near the giraffe’s indoor housing that could easily contain the naked mole rats and Damaraland mole rats. A nicer display would be welcome. I find the one at Desert’s Edge confusing. Which…may be the point somehow? Also, it would be so easy to house the black-footed cats here as well.

Habitat Africa: The Forest
    -Chain. Link. Tear it out. Replace it with something more natural.

-There has been an increase in natural substrates in this area I have noticed. Keep it up!

-I heard from somewhere on here that there used to be mudskippers in the area? Not sure what happened to them or how they were incorporated, but they are a fascinating animal and would love to know if they can be brought back and in what capacity they were there before? Not sure how they worked out because I can’t see where they would have been displayed.

Great Bear Wilderness/Wolf Woods

-I generally enjoy this area. The Wolf Woods, Bison and Grizzly and Polar Bear exhibits I would not change.

-On the original map of this exhibit they called for a Raven exhibit to be near the Bald Eagle. There is that walk from the eagle to the wolves where a nice raven exhibit could be built in.

-Also, in the original plans was a small mammal building. I would restructure the entrance to Salt Creek Wilderness to make room for this exhibit. Adding onto the front of it an outdoor exhibit for the North American River Otters with underwater viewing. The interior can showcase the otters with smaller exhibits for field mice, amphibians, small fishes, reptiles and insects native to North America (the hellbender that was previously in Birds and Reptiles, the chuckwallas, the desert tortoises, the North American fishes from The Swamp...). I would also move the desert aviary from Feathers and Scales to this location.

The Living Coast

-Something took a turn here and it took the concept of the coastlines of South America and turned it into a mishmash of different species and locations. This area begins the South American Courtyard which is a great entrance plaza to a South American themed section of the zoo. Keep it that way. You had a good thing going. The huge aviary for Andean Condor is wonderful for this area. It’s just the Living Coast exhibit that needs a species refresher. They began incorporating fish and invertebrates from other parts of the globe and it muddies the waters, no pun intended. Keep it South American.

-A problem that was there in the past but seems to be getting corrected gradually is the signage. The signage in this area was also a mishmash. Fading plaques with the species names, often incorrect. They have gradually been replaced with more modern flatscreen signage.

-There used to be a section along the rocky shore portion of this exhibit for vampire bats. I would love to see them come back, as the species went away at some point.

Feathers & Scales

-This section is fine to me. I would replace the desert aviary with possible South American bird species. Also, the exhibits in the center would need to be replaced with species native to South America as well (reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates…)

-Remove the bars from the bird exhibits along the walls. Replace it with a netting or something less abrasive. Whenever I see bars in a zoo, I always get concerned about the general publics opinions. Also, they are often jarring and can take you out of the experience. Replace the birds in there currently with species that are native to South America. Relocate the birds, which are mostly Australasian and move them to the Australia section.

Formal Pond

-Relocate the white pelicans to Salt Creek Wilderness.

-Rehab the pond so that it can once again house Chilean Flamingos. That way it would still be a nice photo-op for wedding pictures that I know happen around there often.

Reptiles & Birds
    -I would like to see this exhibit renovated into a pampas style exhibit. Small animals that live in the Pampas grasslands of South America can be displayed in here and I think it would be a section that often doesn’t get represented in a lot of zoos.

-Remove the old Woofield Gifts building. Create a nice exhibit for Galapagos Tortoises.

Nature Pavilion

-I see no changes needed to this location now.

The Swamp

-This area used to have an interesting South American animal focus to it. I would very much like them to see it brought back as with The Living Coast so that this whole portion ties in together. Other than that, I think it is fantastic exhibit.

-In the old North American River Otter exhibit, I would alter that. The Alligator Snapping Turtle can be moved to the small animal exhibit in Great Bear Wilderness. I would expand these into two exhibits with indoor and outdoor viewing for the white-nosed coati and ocelot, which I would move from Desert’s Edge).

Hamill Family Play Zoo

-I am still not familiar with this area and will need to visit it in order to make an opinion. I have a cousin with an autistic child and they absolutely think this section is wonderful, so I am going to have to take their word on it for the moment without having seen the exhibits myself.

Tropic World

-Bring in those natural substrates throughout the entire building with more natural elements throughout.

-The rock work is so strange and abstract in some areas. I think this should be redone in order to make it look more natural.

-I would create small exhibits for smaller species throughout the exhibits to add something for people to find and explore along the way and find new species. South America has tons of species running around. Asia is fairly barren, and Africa seems to be the happy medium currently.

-Outdoor exhibits extended from the main exhibits are needed. The South American exhibits should be located on the side of the building where the South American exhibits are out there. I would expand the gorilla habitat into the African portion of the mall there and remove the Adventures with Aqua area, as it is rarely ever used.

Wild Encounters

-A revamp of the wallaby and emu area would need to be redone since the plan would call to move them over to the Australia section. Finding a new and innovative exhibit to exist in its place would be needed. Possibly a groundhog or prairie dog exhibit with tunnels for children as well?

Former Bear Grottoes

-I would like to see this section of the zoo transfer over to an Asian theme. Part of that would be modernizing the current empty bear grottos into a Himalayan themed section. Potentially this could be redone to house snow macaque on one side along with a small exhibit for leopard cat.

-The other side I would create a large, multispecies netted aviary out of it to house Himalayan monal and bharal along with possible other cold-tolerant bird species from that area.

Seven Seas Dolphinarium

-This area is outdated. The pool for the dolphins is too small, and the amphitheater looks so late 80s and early 90s. The pool needs new life support systems and some cosmetic updates for sure.

Pinniped Point

-I would like to see new filtration and life support system over here as well. Something that could support a more natural substrate on where the animals haul out. I know it is not necessary, but those fake beach areas…well…they are what they are. Maybe redo those structures at least to mimic something like what they have at the Bronx Zoo where it is more natural looking.

Clouded Leopard Rainforest

-Seeing as how I would go along with what was on the old master plan, I wouldn’t really do anything with this area as it is already Asian themed. I also, personally, enjoy this exhibit. Now that the clouded leopard has been moved into the main exhibit and the binturong into its old one, both species are easier to see. They have done updates here and there and added more exhibits since it first opened. I think it is a good mix. I would like to see a Burmese python added back in, or a possible monitor species in the exhibit formerly that formerly held the Burmese python.

Big Cats

-Remove the name Big Cats. For the most part the title applies, but then you throw in sloth bears and one of things isn’t like the other. Keep it with the Asian theme. The lions will hopefully have been moved into the African section. That means you can renovate and extend the yards for the species that are there (Amur tiger, Amur leopard, snow leopard, sloth bears…)

-Extend to the other side of the mall. Of course, keep the center mall open for their events (Summer Nights and whatnot), but add exhibits for the Bactrian Camels and Przewalski's Horses. Would also enjoy the addition of Takin.

Desert’s Edge

-I enjoyed the African desert theme they went with here for a good long while. Now they have included species from desert areas throughout the world to educate on different kinds of desert environments. While I like the idea of that, I don’t like the execution particularly, as it seems confusing. I would say strike that all and just go with an Asian desert theme. There are many amazing species that could be exhibited here with that in mind. A lot of the animals currently held within could be easily transferred to other parts of the zoo (coati and ocelot to The Swamp in the old river otter exhibit, possibly extending it so that they could go indoor or outdoors, small spotted genet to The Kopje along with the porcupine, meerkats and bat-eared foxes. I believe they used to have fennec fox there as well.).

These are all just dreams and hopes for the moment. There isn't too much room to expand, but getting rid of those hoofstock yards and integrating those animals into the rest of the park would help so much. When I get a chance I will map out how I think this could work, but things may be ramping up I know the zoo is under new guidance now with Stuart stepping down so it will be interesting to see what new concepts they come forward with moving to the future. I already like that they are having outside vendors deal with the food and everything to help save money and allocate it for the animals instead of those horrible veggie burgers they had. (Sorry, I hate to complain, but they were not good.) Right now, with the halt to everything, I don't see much of anything coming down the pipeline unless some generous donors come through. I am glad they are managing as best they can, though, and I hope they are all safe and come through this stronger than ever before.

Mainly, I am just sad and miss the zoo and look for ways to support them in this time. I greatly appreciate their daily zoochats on Facebook and Instagram. They are all really working hard and I appreciate it.

16. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd like to share my ideas.
    *puts on helmet for protection*

The Living Coast

This will become a Eastern Pacific Ocean exhibit. It will feature exhibits for Humboldt penguins, Hawaiian fishes (with an exhibit about invasive species like chameleons and mongooses), California fishes, and salmon.

Seven Seas, Pinniped Point, Big Cats, Desert's Edge, and Clouded Leopard Rainforest
    This area will become a Central America complex. Seven Seas will continue to house bottlenose dolphins, although it will be renovated to resemble a beach. Pinniped Point will house California sea lions and brown pelicans. Big cats will house great exhibits for jaguars and pumas. Desert's Edge will house species native to the deserts of Mexico burrowing owls, turkey vultures, prairie dogs, chuckwalas. The rainforest exhibit will house animals from the rainforests of Central America including ocelots, agoutis, and birds and herptiles

Pachyderm House, Australia, Hoofstock Row
    The current Pachyderm House and Australia areas will become Habitat Africa: The Big Five. It will house black rhinos, cape buffaloes, lions, a leopard, and a bull African elephants (about half-acre exhibit). An exhibit of about 2.5 acres for a group female elephants will be on the site of Australia and camel/horse exhibits. A dedicated elephant barn with indoor viewing will be on the part of Hoofstock Row. Inside the current pachyderm house will be exhibits for bull elephant, rhinos, and lion. The Australia area will be relocated to the current addax and zebra areas of Hoofstock Row.

Habitat Africa: the Savannah
    This area will be based on Kenya in general. The goal here will be to provide large panoramic mixed-species exhibits. It will be home to a mix of Rothschild's giraffes, Grevey's zebras, impala, and warthogs. Separate exhibits will house secretary birds, olive baboons, and African wild dogs. There will be a giraffe barn with indoor viewing opportunities.

Tropic World
    Take down this building and put something new in its place. This will become a Land of the Apes exhibit with indoor and outdoor exhibits for Bornean orangutans and gorillas. Their indoor exhibits will have exhibits for birds and herptiles from Borneo and the Congo regions.

Feathers and Scales

This will become an Brazilian Amazon exhibit (inspired by Buffalo Zoo's Rainforest Falls). Tenants will include golden lion tamarins, macaws, and Brazilian tapir.

Reptiles and Birds

This will be a Conservation Works exhibit. It will showcase the ways the zoo works with conservation locally and abroad. Tenants will include Bali mynahs, gharial, thick-billed parrots, Massasauga rattlesnakes, Puerto Rican toads, Blandings turtles, white-bellied pangolin, Guam kingfishers, guam rails, and clouded leopards.

The Swamp

This will turn into a Southern U.S. enclosure with American alligators, North American river otters, and birds and reptiles.

What do you all think?

17. pachyderm pro

Destroying Tropic World would be one of the most expensive and nonsensical things any zoo has ever done ever. The building is gargantuan and would cost millions to take down. There is no reason to destroy it and there is plenty of room for outdoor exhibits around the building.

Sorry if I come across as harsh, I do like some of these ideas like the Amazon exhibit.

18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I do quite like the idea of turning Feathers and Scales into an Amazon exhibit - but the zoos bird collection can't live in Reptiles and Birds! There's a reason that's (mostly) not a bird house anymore! Where would you put all those birds?

19. iluvwhales

Don't worry. I know what you say didn't appear out of a vacuum. The reason I didn't propose outdoor exhibits is because I don't know if the west mall has any sort of historic status or aesthetic restrictions (ala Bronx Zoo's Astor Court of Buffalo Zoo) that would prevent that from happening. If there are no restrictions, then of course I'd be in favor of outdoor ape exhibits.

20. iluvwhales

I've only been to the zoo twice. Is Reptiles and Birds not a full-on bird house because it's an older building?