Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo Brookfield Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United States' started by MeiLover, 15 Jan 2013.

1. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Brookfield Zoo got a new polar bear! She is a 12-year-old female named Anana, and she is scheduled to stay at the zoo until late 2014/early 2015 while her exhibit at the Buffalo Zoo in New York is under renovation. I am told she arrived last week on the 8th and is doing fine.

2. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has there been an official press release about this or did you speak to someone at the zoo? Jusk088 mentioned this in the Buffalo Zoo thread, but I was wondering when they would announce this publically.

3. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

I doubt they will announce it publicly. They never did about Jimma the black rhino coming in from the Cleveland Zoo.

4. MeiLover

They haven't yet, but they might. I am sure they will be featuring her story on a future publication of their magazine for zoo members. Also, I messaged the Buffalo Zoo on facebook a while back, asking about Anana, and they just responded today saying she has been relocated to the Brookfield Zoo and is doing fine.

5. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Brookfield Zoo keeping things secret, does anybody have an update on the new exhibit?

6. MeiLover

I have not yet, maybe once I get back to the zoo and if I see a volunteer, I can ask. But I'm not counting on it. I will post updates here if I get any information.

7. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was told, Anana has arrived and is currently in a standard quarantine period. She is doing fine so far and we will definitely inform everybody when she is on exhibit!

8. TropicWorld54

9. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. TropicWorld54

According to an article I posted in the Shedd Aquarium forum Brookfield Zoo's 2012 attendance was up 8% from the year before.

11. wilson

A few Brookfield Zoo Updates
    -A Panamanian golden frog exhibit had been added to the Reptiles and Birds building.
    -The zoo no longer has mandrills. Angolan colobus monkeys, and red tailed guenon are now on exhibit in Tropic World; Africa.
    -The Living Coast Exhibit has a new tank being installed by the large leatherback sea turtle statue.

12. TropicWorld54

In the member magazine that I recently got it had an article on newly aquired big cats.
    Amur Tiger:
    Whirl- A female who was born at Brookfield Zoo in 2007, she arived from the Minnesota Zoo and she will be matched up with Max.
    Max- A 2-year-old male who arived from the Pittsburg Zoo, he will be matched with Whirl.
    The zoo still has Tiara, an elderly female, who will rotate on exhibit with the newly aquired pair.
    Amur Leopards:
    Anastasia- A 2-year-old female from the St. Louis Zoo, she will be matched up with Kasha
    Kasha- A 2-year-old male from Le Parc De Felins in France, his genes are unrepresented in the U.S. and will be matched with Anastasia.
    The zoo still has Anya who at age 22 is the oldest Amur Leopard in the U.S.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to wilson's recent photos from Brookfield, Anana has gone on exhibit.

14. blospz

Thanks to jusk088 showing me a video from a docent, Hudson and Anana have been put on exhibit together. It will be interesting to hear more details as she was supposed to be paired up with Aussie. Hopefully she can show Hudson a thing or two, but right now, she's running from him!

15. MeiLover

Very happy and excited about the two of them being paired up. :) Can't wait to make it back to the zoo at some point to see them together.

16. wilson

Baby Angolan Colobus monkey born March 9th!

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  17. TropicWorld54

I went to the zoo today and there were some changes:
    -The living coast has two areas under construction (and a frontloader behind the building) which I am assuming are going to be new tanks.
    -I saw an aardvark in the former warthog exhibit and the keeper said it was just temporary and that the zoo had just got some new young warthogs.
    -Outside in Habitat Africa! The Forest there were 3 okapis and 2 yellow-backed duikers and the trail that goes to where the red river hogs and forest buffalo is still closed.
    -At Great Bear Wilderness Jim and Axhi were playing in the pool and Hudson and Anana were in the same exhibit with no barriers between them but Anana was staying in the off exhibit space and Hudson was in the main exhibit sleeping. It also looked like there was some construction going on behind the bear exhibits.
    - I saw a sign that said the dolphin exhibit was 1,035,000 gallons which makes it look tiny compared to the shedd's 3,000,000 gallon exhibit.

18. blospz

Oh it's a shame you didn't see much of Anana or her interacting with Hudson. Good to hear the brown bears were out - I heard they haven't been out much this winter.

19. TropicWorld54

I forgot to say that when I was walking by the sloth bear exhibit and the tram was passing by I heard the guide saying something about sloth bear cubs and that they are starting to breed the lions.

20. MeiLover

Thanks for the updates, TropicWorld54. Does this mean that there is a sloth bear cub or two born recently?