Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo Brookfield Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 26 Dec 2016.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Komodo dragons have not been exhibited at Brookfield before, this will be the first time.

2. csura999

csura999 Active Member

Oh man! Well, like JVM has said, I hope that they look in to keeping it long-term.

They're my favorite animal, and I've never seen one in-person, and I would love to have one an hour and-a-half at Brookfield Zoo!

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I as well hope that they plan on keeping her long term. Like stingray bay was, how they had them for the Summer only. Let's hope its popular.

A fear I have is that the Komodo will have a similar set-up to sheds temporary exhibit, a smaller, all indoor exhibit, with mostly artificial lighting. I hope they find a smaller clearing where there won't be animatronics in the way for a outdoor yard, fingers crossed.

4. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I stand corrected. It looks like the brown bears have their own exhibit, must not be hibernating this winter, and Hudson and Nan (polar bears) rotate on exhibit. I believe Nan is on exhibit for the first part of the day. Hudson has been seen by the door to the holding area Nan can go when off exhibit since he can smell her.

5. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't know if the brown bears are stuck in just yard right now, but lately they have been in yard 2, still somewhat in a hibernation state but without a den to go in obviously. I would assume they and Aussie would take turns switching between the first and second yards.

As of right now the plan is for Nan to be out on exhibit until early-to-mid afternoon. Although she already seems comfortable on exhibit, I am sure there will be a gradual increase spent on exhibit as the days go on.

6. MeiLover

Some updates:

Hani the sloth bear is not pregnant.

At least one penguin egg is in the process of hatching. Any penguins that hatch will be raised to be ambassador animals in the penguin encounter program.

Nan will be physically introduced to Hudson for the first time in almost a week, on International Polar Bear Day, the 27th.

Progress is going well on the new pangolin exhibit in Habitat Africa! The Forest.

One of the orinoco crocodiles had a procedure done on her leg. All looks good.

Breeding behaviors have been observed in the breeding pair of Mexican gray wolves.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  7. pachyderm pro

Great news! What do you mean by progress? Has construction started? Will the plans soon be released? Also, I think it's redundant at this point that we all thank you for your great updates :).

8. MeiLover

Construction, and yes. I will post more information as I receive them.

9. pachyderm pro

I know I said its repetitive at this point, but thank you. Where is it located? Across from the second okapi yard? I will be going to the zoo tomorrow so I will get some photos.

10. MeiLover

I believe it's in the building. Can't remember exactly where it's at as it's been a while since I was last in there.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  11. pachyderm pro

Today's updates from my visit

I uploaded a photo to the gallery of what looks to be the future pangolin exhibit. It's the largest of the terrariums across from the indoor red flanked duiker exhibit.

A okapi is due to give birth to a calf in May.

The upcoming Pygmy loris exhibit is under renovation, and they have added darker, red nocturnal lighting to the exhibit. All that's left is putting climbing structures in the terrarium.

I saw our new arrivals, Foli the tiger, and Nan the polar bear. I uploaded a photo of Nan to the gallery, but my camera space was full and I could not upload a photo of Foli.

Both Nan and Hudson were exhibiting interesting behavior. They seemed to be calm with each other, so lets hope their first date goes well.

12. MeiLover

Bailey, a 30-year-old California sea lion, has passed away. Over the past several weeks, Bailey showed a gradual decline in her health and mobility, as degenerative changes, including arthritis, associated with her advanced age began to severely impact her quality of life. With Bailey’s worsening condition, veterinary and animal care staff made the difficult decision to humanely euthanize her. Bailey arrived at Brookfield Zoo’s Pinniped Point in November 1987 at the age of 1. She lived a longer life than the average age for her species, due to the excellent care she received.

13. pachyderm pro

Pachyderm Parties!

Yesterday, bull black rhino Nakili celebrated his birthday! Today, Obessa, a female pygmy hippo, turned 29!

14. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Congratulations

15. pachyderm pro

Today is international polar bear day, meaning, today is Hudson and Nan's first physical introduction to each other. Let's all hope it goes better than Anana.

16. MeiLover

I went to the zoo today with the intention of seeing Hudson and Nan together but it didn't happen. Maybe Nan is not ready yet. I will go back to the zoo one or two more times this week in hopes of seeing them together.

17. pachyderm pro

Are they still separated? Were the doors to the holding area open. It's a shame they are not together yet.

18. MeiLover

They still have mesh access to each other but have yet to be in the same space with each other. While Hudson and Nan were taking turns rotating on exhibit, all of the doors were closed.

19. MeiLover

20. pachyderm pro