Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo Brookfield Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by JVM, 11 Jan 2019.

1. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

More sharks make everything better.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t exactly remember but I believe it was white spotted salamander. As for the fish I’ll check next time I’m there.

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  3. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Going to Brookfield Zoo over Spring Break next week, any new things that happened since the new year that I can really look forward to?

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is this your first trip?

Well it sounds like some new species have been added to The Living Coast, so it would be nice if you could tell us about that. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. The Speeding Carnotaurus

There have been a couple new fish and salamander additions as birdsandbats said. There is a new baby anteater (can confirm that he(?) is adorable).

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have been there before. It will still be fun to go and see existing things. Anything you guys would like to me look out for?

7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Maybe keep an eye out for what species are in Tropic World? They have so many primates and birds that I imagine there is a decent amount of turnover in species.

EsserWarrior and StoppableSan like this.
  8. The Speeding Carnotaurus

It would seem that for Adelaide the Echidna’s 50th birthday the Kookaburras were moved into their old exhibit so Adelaide can take over the new Kookaburra exhibit. It’s not clear whether or not this is a permanent or temporary change for the Kookaburras, though I doubt it will be permanent.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One of the Amur leopard cubs born last year, Jilin, left for the Niabi Zoo yesterday.

10. SharkFinatic

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The main thing I have noticed is they are thinking out there animal list aside from really focusing on addex black rhino, and Mexican grey wolves they have diminished there bear species, I know no one likes grottos but the old bear grottos works for the smaller bear species in the mean time till they build a new bear style exhibit ie could be a rotational for the andean, sun, and sloth, and maybe even asiatic black also I noticed hoofstock is at a low.

12. MeiLover

My apologies if this has been mentioned before, but a wombat joey that was born recently has started venturing out of the pouch.

Also, Cher, the zoo's female lowland tapir, passed away recently (not sure when).

Last edited: 14 Apr 2019
  13. Cyclone

That would explain why they dont utilize all of the pachyderm outdoor yards went there last week and it seems like only one yard is for the rhinos 1 is for the pygmy hippos and 1 is for the taiper wonder if they are going to get a new breeding female or get rid of the Male lowland taiper and good with a different species etc Baird's or malayan or even mountain

14. MeiLover

It's been a long time since every single yard was occupied by a pachyderm. There are 2 yards for pygmy hippos, 3 for rhinos (one being empty because Layla rhino is still recovering from her regular extensive surgical procedures), and 1 for tapir.

They could bring in a female if one is available. Don't think it's likely that the male will be moved elsewhere - he just arrived a year ago. But you never know. Their last Baird's tapir passed a little over a year ago. I wouldn't count on Baird's returning anytime soon, and certainly wouldn't expect Malayan's to be a part of the zoo collection. Mountain's are most definitely out of the question.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Cyclone

Though odd in a sense if they wanted to keep multiple tapir species I could see the use of the old forest buffalo part I the okapi forest as use for one provided they update it of course and as you stated makes sense of course I had forgotten how rare mountain tapir is. Guess it's more wishing to see the rarer species in zoos aka like the Indian rhino and tapirs

16. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry but this gave me a chuckle. With only 7 left in North America (6 from the same pairing), they are currently being managed until “extinction.” Could you imagine the amount of headache, time, and paperwork needed to import one from Columbia, Ecuador, or Peru?

MeiLover likes this.
  17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes!

Could you not imagine a complete relocation of mountain tapirs to Colombian or Peruvian zoos as that would make more sense than managing to ex situ extinction in AZA zoos!!!!!

18. Cyclone

It was one of those speak before you think moments just like there were a few people wanting to see mountain gorillas in captivity just wouldn't work

Echobeast likes this.
  19. SharkFinatic

20. MeiLover

Matilda, the kookaburra in the Hamill Family Play Zoo, will soon be moving to the Miller Park Zoo.

StoppableSan and Milwaukee Man like this.