Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo Brookfield Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by MeiLover, 7 Jan 2020.

1. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The entire Pachyderm House building is open for the first time in about 10 years. The zoo's adult female giant anteater Tulum, and the tortoises that were exhibited outside of the building now reside inside the building as well.

The alpha female painted dog is very much pregnant and should give birth within the month.

2. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any news on the new Desert's Edge inhabitants? (Ocelot/coati/genet/chuckwalla)

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The genet and chuckwalla are both on exhibit. The ocelot and coati exhibits are done being renovated and may or may not be on exhibit yet.

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  4. MeiLover

As of today, coati is on exhibit and ocelot is not.

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  5. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is the coati in the former caracal or hyrax exhibit?
    (Does anyone have pictures of the new inhabitants/exhibit renos?)

6. pachyderm pro

The coati is in the old hyrax exhibit. It has been meshed over similar to the now ocelot exhibit.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. MeiLover

Yes, I will add them to the BZ gallery shortly.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. pachyderm pro

About a year ago there was discussion of the zoo being included the states infrastructure bill. I will link info on this below in case you haven’t seen in it. This would fund the repairs of many deteriorating areas including cracked pathways, buckled pavement, leaky roofs and faulty gas lines. Plus would also include many new exhibits. All of this is desperately needed, so does anyone know if anything has come of this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...e=y&akdevice=androidphone&sslEnabled=true&amp

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. MeiLover

Well, related to the article, the zoo has raised its admission and parking costs by a few dollars.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. pachyderm pro

I suppose this means the zoo wasn’t included in the bill. Incredibly disappointing, but I hope the increased admission can help with some repairs and new exhibits. Its been nearly five years since the last major new exhibit, surely something must be coming sooner than later.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  11. MeiLover

Isis, the zoo's elderly female lion, has passed away now as well.

12. pachyderm pro

Did not see that coming. Incredibly disappointing that now another major species leaves the zoos collection. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of the tigers moved into here, as I can't imagine a new species being brought in to fill the grotto.

Lions now add to the ever growing list of species that have left the zoo over the past decade as well as elephants, hippos, baboons, waterbuck, warthogs, forest buffalo, mandrills, ostriches, capuchins, Andean bears and aardvarks. I understand some species had to go to make room for new ones (ibex, caracal, hyrax, cassowary) but some of these species left without anything taking their place. It's getting a little ridiculous at this point, and while I know this one was out of the zoos control, it's becoming increasingly saddening to see the zoo slowly fall apart.

evilmonkey239 and StoppableSan like this.
  13. MeiLover

The SSP will likely find new lion(s) to move into the space. Just because an animal has passed, doesn't mean the zoo will not bring them back for good.

Whirl is the only tiger at the zoo (Foli passed away in November), she will most likely remain in her exhibit.

14. MeiLover

In other news, the zoo has gotten rid of their black-crested mangabeys. I am not sure what the plan is now that their exhibit is vacant.

15. MeiLover

The zoo has released an official announcement on her death:

Animal care staff checked on 14-year-old Isis in her outdoor habitat yesterday morning shortly after 9:00 a.m. and all appeared normal. However, upon revisiting the habitat a short time later, she was observed laying on the floor of the moat. Although not witnessed, it appears that Isis fell and was injured. Despite the immediate and intensive treatment provided by the veterinary staff, Isis sustained significant injuries and the difficult decision was made to humanely euthanize her today.

“The safety and well-being of the animals in our care is our utmost priority,” said Bill Zeigler, senior vice president of animal programs. “Although it is unclear what caused her fall, we are reviewing all aspects of this tragic occurrence.”

16. pachyderm pro

Which is possible, but I always considered the cat grottos to be pretty outdated (if significantly better than most old school grottos) and I wouldn't really be in favor of bringing in more animals to live in there.

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. MeiLover

At least they updated all of the grottoes back in 2010, so the grottoes are not as bad as they used to be. If the zoo and their staff were hesitant on keeping big cats in there, the cats would not be here today.

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. MeiLover

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  19. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree it's getting sad on the diminishing animals in my personal opinion I feel if they can get the funds the old bear grottos should get spruced up and filled bet it other cat species or smaller bear or heck even primates. I also noticed other exhibits to the side of those possibly former smaller species like cox or something. It was a shame they didnt utilize the old baboon area for another primate or such animal and you would think they would of added more pachyderm species be it another species of tapir or Indian rhino to fill up the pachyderm house instead of the anteater and the tortoises I see so much potential and yes it's on limited funds

20. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I thought the black crested mangabeys lived in the African wing of Tropic World, out in the big monkey area. Were they segregated to another enclosure at some point, or are there no longer any monkeys in that room?

Edit: I see now that they were moved into one of the tiny side enclosures used for gorilla segregation. What monkeys are still out in the big room?

Last edited: 15 Jan 2020
    StoppableSan likes this.