Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo Brookfield Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by MeiLover, 7 Jan 2020.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Is that a fair comparison though? Brookfield's expenses are more than twice that of LP's ($67 million vs $30 million USD per year) yet LP gets twice as much money in contributions ($14 million vs $7 million USD). Nearly all of LP's new construction projects are financed by the richest philanthropists in Chicago, most notably the Regensteins and Pritzkers.

Isn't raising admissions and outsourcing expenses in order to build new projects in the future proactive...?

From what I know, funding is usually figured out after a master plan is developed, so that they have a budget to show investors and the public. Attempting to solicit funding without having a plan on how to spend it doesn't seem like a good pitch.

2. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hudson and Nan polar bears will be paired up again soon, but cubs for Nan at this age is now out of the question. It is unlikely the zoo will perform any more artificial inseminations on her.

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brookfield Zoo Visit Report: 2/29/20.

A wonderful sunny day, what better way to spend it than a trip to the zoo?

Restaurant Renovations:
    The zoo is already reaping the benefits of their recent decision to outsource their food operations. At least three of the smaller cafes around the zoo - North Gate Snacks, and the two snack huts by the rhino and bison exhibits respectively - are currently undergoing renovations. Cafe De Sol' also just finished going under minor renovations hat include some interior touch ups and a brand new menu. I had a sweet and spicy chicken sandwich and it was miles better than anything I had eaten here previously. The zoo has been able to improve their food options, renovate their facilities, and save some money all in the process. A great move on the zoos part.

Other Updates:
    • One of the two green-winged macaws recently died, leaving only the one left.
    • The moats in the lion and tiger grottos had slight modifications likely to prevent any more incidents.
    • The recently born gray seal pups were on exhibit and have been for a few weeks.
    • The wolves were mating today, hoping for another litter later this year.
    • All of the animals in the South American wing of Tropic World were off exhibit, not sure why.
    As an Aside...

I really got to appreciate some parts of the zoo that I really haven't in the past. I love Feathers and Scales purely for the large South American aviary, but I gave some attention to the other ones in the building and they are also really great. The desert one and the Bali mynah/victorian crowned pigeon one were both really well done. However, I couldn't help but feel the wattled curassow one was far too small. I also went in Reptiles and Birds for the first time in a while today, and the help exhibits there are really well done. These buildings really should be condensed into their own things instead of both having reptiles and amphibians.

Another building I went in for the first time today was the dolphinarium. I must say, it is significantly smaller than I remember. I'm really wondering what the future of the zoos dolphin program is, as while the zoo has made great strides in dolphin research and the shows are a visitor favorite I can't help but feel a little uneasy watching them. I do have an idea for what could be done with it which I will share on the Ideas, Dreams, Hopes thread when I get the chance, but I feel it is unlikely the dolphins will be leaving any time soon. Does anybody know what happened with that import they were attempting to do about a year ago?

4. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am thinking exhibit maintenance. When I visited a couple days ago, the gorillas were off exhibit for that reason.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. Zoological Point

Zoological Point Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to the zoo's social media, they have welcome two male lions named Brutus and Titus from Utah's Hogle Zoo (this is not an April Fool's Day prank).

6. ZooNerd1234

ZooNerd1234 Well-Known Member

Yes the pachyderm house is fully opened

7. pachyderm pro

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I feel for the employees laid off? How is it being conducted (as in is it just the support and general management staff - in my view unjust - or does it also affect senior staff and management)????

How long has the zoo been closed and how does losing a month's income affect the finances of the zoo.

PS: I have my views on laying off staff per se, but out of curiosity I would like to know the above .....!!!!

9. pachyderm pro

A second coati has arrived, a male named Lando. He will not be breeding with female Chica.

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  10. JOSEPH E KOSIEK

JOSEPH E KOSIEK Member

If you laid off all the management who's going to run the zoo. Believe me, I feel very sorry for all people who were laid off but remember the animals need to be cared for and fed. Management needs to move resources and attempt to solicit donations to keep it running.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not contesting that someone needs to run the zoo, but general staff lose their jobs because of an issue outside their control. Hence, I specifically asked a few questions which are not being addressed as yet.

I am hopeful someone can really address the questions asked how general staff vs senior management are affected, how the current financial situation of Brookfield Zoo impinges upon the 3+ week lockdown (a guess) and how long has the zoo been closed already (if only for 3 weeks+ I cannot seriously believe the finance situation would be so dramatic as to immediately lay off staff? How many staff have been laid off?

12. pachyderm pro

A female Amur tiger will be arriving at the zoo this summer.

Samson, a male amur leopard, has recently arrived from the Fort Worth Zoo.

13. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wasn’t Sampson born at Brookfield? Surprised he would be returning so soon.

14. pachyderm pro

Correct, he was born at Brookfield. I am unsure of the reason behind his transfer.

15. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you

16. pachyderm pro

The painted dog pups born in January explored the outdoor exhibit today.

birdsandbats and twilighter like this.
  17. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Amur Leopard Birth

VIDEO: Brookfield Zoo Announces Birth Of Amur Leopard Cub And He's Almost Painfully Cute

An Amur leopard cub was born on March 3.

The male cub, named Sasha, is currently behind the scenes bonding with his mom, Lisa. Animal care staff estimate Sasha will be able to have access to his outdoor habitat sometime in June.

According to the zoo, this is the third litter for 9-year-old Lisa, and the sire, 9-year-old Kasha. Previous births included Temur, in 2016 and twin brothers, Jilin and Samson in 2018.

18. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Painted Dog Pup Update

The Painted dog pups have been sexed as five males and two females.

Six of them have been named as follows:

1.0 Cesar
    1.0 JP
    1.0 Masikio
    1.0 Prospect
    0.1 Roanne
    0.1 Daisie

You can vote what to name the remaining pup (a male) here:

Brookfield Zoo Needs a Name for This Puppy! Cast Your Vote

These are the names:

Kashyyyk - name of a planet in Star Wars.
    Shaki - means “shark” in Chewa,
    Taya - means “jaws” in Swahili.
    Kwanza - means “first” in Swahili (he was the firstborn in the litter).

Jungle Man, Jambo and birdsandbats like this.
  19. pachyderm pro

Some new information in regards to outdoor Tropic World exhibits. During todays Bringing the Zoo to You livestream - which was on orangutans and gibbons - I asked if they would be getting outdoor exhibits in the near future. Specifically I played a little dumb and asked "Do the orangutans ever get to go outdoors?" Here is the response I got.

"We do not currently have an outdoor area for them, but we do hope to build one in the future behind the Hamill Family Nature Plaza."

I assume they are referring to this area. I pressed a bit further and asked if other animals in Tropic World would get outdoor exhibits as well and if there was a timetable for they will be built. If or when I get a response, I will update this thread.

Gotta love Zoochat investigative reporting :D.

20. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

I also love Zoochat investigative reporting.:D:D

Wild wolverine likes this.