Join our zoo community

Prague Zoo Praha brown hyaena at Prague Zoo

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Ned, 13 Apr 2016.

1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Brown hyaena are a species I'd like to see and with zootierliste showing the number of collections keeping the species has dropped to two I think it's time to make an effort to see them. Prague is my preferred choice as I've never visited Prague zoo and it seems there's lots to see there but how easy is it to see the hyaenas and what age are they? (i.e. will they last much longer?)

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't know how old they are and on my visit last December I didn't see them :(. I guess it was the quite cold weather which was a real pitty because it was one of the species I wanted to see ( next to a whole lot of other species ;).

3. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited the Prague Zoo last week. I saw both hyena's. I did not see them in march 2011 though, since it was probably a bit too cold back then.

4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I saw two Brown Hyaenas when I visited Prague Zoo last October.
    I had to make a second visit to the enclosure in the afternoon though, as I didn't see them when I first looked at the enclosure in the morning.

5. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for replies. It seems it's down to luck then, I was too there might be some indoor viewing.