Join our zoo community

Germany Bubal hartebeests at the Cologne Zoo?

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by kermodei, 30 Sep 2022.

1. kermodei

kermodei Well-Known Member

Hopefully this is the right section for such a question but I've got a little mystery on my hands...

You see, a day or two ago I happened upon this photo on Instagram:

[​IMG]

The uploader said it depicted a trio of Bubal hartebeests at the Cologne Zoo during the 1880s. Through reverse image searching I've discovered another version (an amber filter, rather than black-and-white) on some Hungarian websites, though sadly none give more detail than saying the photo depicts the aforementioned subspecies.

So, does anyone have more context on this image? Does it indeed depict a trio of Bubal hartebeests? and if so, what is the story behind them and their home at the Cologne Zoo?

My thanks for any help and/or info folks can share!

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member

This whole thing in general is confusing, and seeing as there's 12 recognized subspecies of hartebeest doesn't help. That being said, there is some evidence that can be used to conclude that these are Bubal Hartebeest. For example, it refers to that picture as the "North African Cow Antelope", which was a historically common name for the Bubal Hartebeest. It also gives a description that perfectly matches that of the bubal. In the Hungarin article I found, there were other photos shown, labeled; Kama, Kongoni, and Konci. The Kama was used for the Red Hartebeest, and based ont the description of a red-saddled color, and black marking on the front of the legs, it matches up. It's said the the Kama is used by the Bechuana people for Red Hartebeest Next, it describes the "Kongoni", being smaller than the rest, and specifically found in the Maasai Steppe, sounds like the Coke's Hartebeest. It also mentioned the variability in coloration within the herd, which also matches up to the description. The last one was the "Konci", and based on it's description and region of German East Africa and Potugese East Africa, it matches best with the Topi Antelope. The word "Konci" derives from Swahili, and although can be used for hartebeest in general, seems to be used for the Coke's Hartebeest the most. However, it's seems it was also used occasionally for the Topi. Now, the only one without any designated name, is what you suspect to be the Bubal Hartebeest. I'm not gonna conclude anything as it's indefinite, but, it's very likely based on evidence that those can be a pair of Bubal Hartebeest, I have no knowledge on the history of the Cologne Zoo and this species.

[​IMG]
    The "Kama", or suspected Red Hartebeest, here's it's description (translated):

"The South African cow antelope, called the hartebeest by the Boers, differs from its North African relative, the kama of the Bechuans, in the following features: Its head is even more elongated and narrower, its horns are stronger, bent in a stronger curve, its ears are relatively smaller and its coloring is also different. At the base, its very strong, short horns, which are decorated with about 16 knots, initially rise up side by side, then bend forward in a similar mutual position, and finally their last third, ending in a sharp length, turns outwards and almost at right angles to the rear. From the front, they look roughly like a V. The dominant color of this antelope is also a beautiful, light cinnamon brown; the forehead and front side of the head are blackish-brown, but this color is interrupted by a whitish or brownish patch between the eyes; two longitudinal stripes, which start at the base of the front and hind legs and narrow to the front half of the legs, as well as a stripe along the nape of the neck and the tail tuft are black; on the other hand, the lower part of the belly, the belly, the inner side of the rear thighs and a white mirror that bends over the thigh in a half-moon shape are white. Young people do not have the dark pattern. The kama formerly inhabited the parts of South Africa south of the Limpopo in numerous herds, but today they have been almost completely exterminated from the Cape and are found only in the Transvaal."

[​IMG]
    A herd of "Kongoni, or suspected Coke's Hartebeest, here's its description (translated):

"Congolese, which is one of the smallest representatives of the genus, is native to East Africa, especially the Masa steppe. Bright sandy color, the lower lip is slightly darker brown, the tail tuft and the long hairs covering the upper part of the tail are black. Apart from that, it doesn't have any other black designs; in terms of the shape of its horns, they resemble those of the Tora. According to Jackson, the color of individuals living in the same flock also varies between light brown and dark brown. Old bulls have the darkest color. Roosevelt found the weight of two old bulls to be 299 and 340 pounds respectively, and an old cow to be 315."

[​IMG]
    A "Konci", or suspected Topi, here's it's description (translated):

"To the south of the previous species, from German East Africa to Portuguese East Africa, the konci lives, this is a very large species characterized by a bright red-brown, saddle-shaped spot running along its back. The long hairs on his chin, tail and the lower part of all four legs are black on the front side, whitish-yellow on the underside, and his thighs are noticeably lighter than the rest of his body. Its very strongly curved horns are short, and their base is extremely strong."

[​IMG]
    Lastly, the "North African Cow Antelope", or suspected Bubal Hartebeest:

"Among the various species of cow antelopes, the North African cow antelope, often depicted on Egyptian monuments, is the oldest known. Its entire length reaches 2.8 m, of which, however, almost 0.5 m falls on the tail, and its height at the withers is a good 1.5 m. Her round glands under the eye sockets are surrounded by swellings of hair, her ears are large, long and pointed, her smooth fur is evenly light reddish brown without any darker markings, her thick tail tuft is blackish brown in color. On both sides of the bridge of his nose, a gray spot with a blurred outline can be seen. Its strong horns, sitting high on the top of the head and covered with twisted swellings on the lower two-thirds, arise closely side by side, at first they are directed slightly upwards in a weak curve, then with a stronger bend backwards and finally they bend upwards again and end in a blunt tip; when viewed from the front, they look roughly V-shaped. This long-known cow antelope inhabits North Africa and Arabia, but has already been exterminated from many places."

In conclusion, nothing can be determined and set in stone. But given the names, descriptions, and evidence, I'm not sure what else it could be other than the Atlas Hartebeest, which for sometime has been argyed about on wether it's the Bubal Hartebeest or a subspecies of it. I hope this helps!

Attached Files:

TheoV, Birdsage and kermodei like this.
  3. kermodei

kermodei Well-Known Member

@Newt This helps tremendously!! Not only does this answer my initial question, but I've learned a thing or two about hartebeests, too! I can't thank you enough for the detailed explanation/analysis :')

Newt likes this.
  4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member

Ofc! It was a pretty interesting journey

kermodei likes this.
  5. Taurinus

Taurinus New Member

The antelope in the third picture is not a topi, it Lichtenstein's Hartebeest, also called Nkonzi. The topi is more colorful and has a completely different horn form.