Join our zoo community

Budget cameras

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Bisonfan, 4 Oct 2021.

1. Bisonfan

Bisonfan Well-Known Member

Right now I have a Fuji film camera but I’m looking for a new camera that isn’t to expensive and would work with animal photography.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I recommend the Nikon Coolpix B700. It's only about $400. You can't change the lens but the lens that is there has excellent zoom, which is always nice for animal photography.

Bisonfan likes this.
  3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are three ways to go. The first is an all-in-one camera such as the one suggested above. This means the lens is built into the camera. The advantage is these are typically smaller than a camera with changeable lenses and many of them have longer zoom lenses (eg more telephoto) than what is available on lenses that are bought separately. For a budget solution this is a good way to go. The main disadvantage is that many of them - especially those with long zoom lens ranges - have smaller sensors than a changeable lens camera, which means the picture quality is not as good (escpecially in low light such as indoor exhibits).

The second option is a DSLR with changeable lens. The advantage is supreme image quality and a crisp (non-electronic) viewfinder and the ability to add lenses later. The disadvantage is larger size, additional cost if you start wanting more lenses, and the fact that DSLR's are being phased out in favor of the new mirrorless systems.

The third option, which appears to be the wave of the future (even though I don't like them), is a mirrorless camera with changeable lens. These are usually smaller than a DSLR but bigger than and all-in-one, so kind of a compromise. However the lenses are similar in size to a DSLR so I find the combination unbalanced (eg the lens is too big for the body). Another disadvantage is electronic viewfinder which I find annoying. However, this is the way all manufacturers are going and DSLR's are on the way out, whether I like it or not (I don't).

Bisonfan likes this.
  4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I gave a long reply (because I am a photographer). If you go the first and simplest route, an all-in-one camera, here are a few I found doing a targeted search on B&H (the largest camera store in America). I will list their price (which is usually the cheapest available) and the zoom range, though of course prices for you in Canada are likely higher. Since sensor size affects zoom range they give the zoom range in "35mm equivalent" so it can be measured by a common method.

Panasonic DC-ZS70 24-720mm $348

Canon Powershot SX620 HS 25-625mm $319

Canon Powershot SX730 HS 24-960mm $399

Canon Powershot SX540 HS 24-1200mm $329

Sony Cybershot DSC-HX400V 24-1200mm $448

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ80 20-1200mm $348 (with 50 rebate)

Nikon Coolpix B500 22.5-900mm $297

Nikon Coolpix B600 24-1440mm $327

twilighter and Bisonfan like this.