Join our zoo community

Buffalo Zoo Buffalo Zoo 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by iluvwhales, 20 Jan 2018.

1. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. zoosnbrews

zoosnbrews Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Zoo will be naming their renovated reptile house after former zoo director Donna Fernandes.
    I am very excited to see this project start, 1/3rd of the enclosures have been empty for about a year and I am looking forward to an infusion of new species. The renovation should last until the summer of 2019.
    Buffalo Zoo's revamped Reptile Center will carry a familiar name: Fernandes

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  3. zoosnbrews

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. zoosnbrews

5. zoosnbrews

6. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The downside to this is instead of rotating in this exhibit with the Eurasian lynx, the Eurasian lynx was put back in its old ugly cage.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. blospz

Although I am sure the zookeepers take excellent care of the elephants, I am very happy to hear this news for the welfare of the elephants and for the zoo to be allowed to keep its AZA accreditation. I do hope they preserve the elephant house and convert it into something like Toledo Zoo did with their old big cat house.

13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This is a brilliant decision as the Buffalo Zoo's elephant exhibit has been badly outdated for at least two decades. Hopefully the zoo does something special with the historic, 1912 barn, although I'm sure that moving the rhinos in there is a possibility.

14. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It does look too small for rhinos, let alone elephants. Plus, the rhinos have got it made in the fields with axis deer. Tapirs might work, maybe babirusa in a lush yard with a massive mud wallow. Some bawean deer might fit nicely too, and a simple forest trail with a massive elephant statue at the end would be perfect. I'm just spitballing concepts here.

Kifaru Bwana and Yi Qi like this.
  15. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am really happy with the zoos decision. I hope that the zoo preserves the barn as is. Maybe they could create an exhibit for moose, musk oxen or reindeer on the site, to tie in nicely with the polar bear complex.

Yi Qi, Milwaukee Man and Coelacanth18 like this.
  16. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

In addition to echoing the support already voiced for this move, I just wanted to add that the gorillas are possibly destined for the elephant space. Towards the end of the press conference video posted on the zoo's FB page, the zoo leadership indicates that moving the gorillas to that space in a completely renovated exhibit is one of the leading though not yet finalized possibilities. They go on to note that gorillas are the next priority of the zoo.
    Personally, I'm very supportive of this idea as if it is done right it could accomplish the goals of making use of the historic barn, getting the gorillas out of their current space (which I'll let some of the more linguistically gifted members of this forum describe), and it would ensure that there was a charismatic replacement for the elephants.

17. StoppableSan

If they can pull off an exhibit like Bristol (which also houses gorillas in a converted elephant house) then this is gonna be good!

Kifaru Bwana and TigerValley98 like this.
  18. blospz

My only worry about the gorillas moving into this area is using the barn as their indoor space. I feel like I remember hearing the building is a landmark and can not be altered from the outside. If that is the case, the inside area is way too cramped for an off view holding area and indoor space for visitors to see them. But I guess we will wait and see what idea they come up with. It is nice the zoo is taking care of its two weakest areas now.

StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  19. StoppableSan

They did however manage to give spacious areas in a tiny building with Rainforest Falls. If they can do that with Rainforest Falls, they can work wonders with this gorilla exhibit. My guess is they'll maximize the space by having a curved glass wall overtop the visitors, so gorillas can climb on top of the visitors and look down upon them. They might also add an auxiliary modular holding space in a current service area (near the elephant barn) for the gorillas.

iluvwhales likes this.
  20. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Given the close proximity to Arctic Edge, I think the zoo should turn the elephant exhibit into a wood bison/moose exhibit.

iluvwhales and Kifaru Bwana like this.