Join our zoo community

Buffalo Zoo Buffalo Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United States' started by blospz, 7 Jan 2013.

1. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The female Polar Bear Anana went to the Brookfield Zoo.

3. blospz

One of my top predictions! I am glad she went to a zoo with a nice polar bear exhibit. I hope she enjoys the feel of grass. I wonder if she'll be situated in time to want to breed during breeding season or if they'll wait until next year.

4. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

I hope she breeds with Hudson!

5. jusko88

6. blospz

The zoo will be throwing a birthday party tomorrow for Diana, the oldest Andean Bear in captivity (in the United States). She will be 34.

7. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. blospz

I'm guessing the Buffalo zoo is finally moving their litter trio. I can't imagine the zoo would have room for six lions.

9. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. blospz

Just what the zoo really needs. I'm almost wondering if it's someone from the inside doing it.

11. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. blospz

First of all, I am thrilled Anana and Nanuq had a baby cub! I was a bit worried that they kept the cub separated to have one polar bear left to really promote people to donate money to the exhibit. However, the zoo wrote back to me and said Anana did not show good maternal extincts so they intervened. They also said they are figuring out an exhibit space to put the cub when it gets bigger. I am thrilled it won't be in the grottoes and hopefully its an exhibit space where they can figure out to incorporate a pool area.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2013
  13. blospz

14. Ulli J

Ulli J Member

The Buffalo Zoo informed on his facebookpage:

"Unfortunately as a first time mom, Anana was showing poor maternal instincts, so the veterinary staff made the decision to pull the cub and to hand raise her."

15. Blozoonerd

Blozoonerd Member

I went to the today after finding out the news about the cub. I heard from a source that the cub would be on closed circuit mon-fri 12 to 3 in the rain forest. When i got there at 245 it was not on but it is the first day. The TV was however showing pics of the cub and she looks great! as far as exhibit was could hold a polar bear cub i would think one of the vanishing animal enclosures would work as well as an older exhibit that has a donkey and goats in it. It has held capybaras before and walaroos before that.

16. blospz

The donkey/goat paddock probably will not work because I believe the new Arctic exhibit will be expanding in that area. A vanishing animals exhibit is what I was thinking, but what are they going to do about a pool? A portable one will work for a little while, but when the cub gets bigger, they will need to think of something else.

17. Blozoonerd

Blozoonerd Member

the site for the new exhibit is the foot print of the old grottoes plus the area near the old gallery near the old entrance. so that exhibit should be available but the fact that construction would be next door is my concern with that space. the best exhibit for the cub would be the snow monkey or the Andean bears exhibit in the vanishing animals.

18. blospz

I don't see them getting rid of the snow monkeys because they have a good sized troop and it be harder to relocate them. Plus that area is mostly primates so it flows better. However, I agree the best bet would be the Andean bear exhibit. It even has a small pool that would be suitable for a couple years. However, they would have to relocate their manned wolves to another zoo or another location in the zoo. With new Andean bears that go out at separate times, and a polar bear cub, that doesn't leave much time for manned wolves.

19. Blozoonerd

Blozoonerd Member

They wouldn't relocate the snow monkeys, time could be spilt with the cresteds if necessary in the middle exhibit. Also the maned wolves are not with the bears any more they share with the mandrills and the servals share with the snow leopards if anything was moved it would be the servals they are both elderly. I highly doubt any animal will be moved. the vanishing animals exhibits are changed quite often. Time will tell and I'll keep an eye and ear out.

20. jusko88