Join our zoo community

Build an area with only a few animals

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by TheMightyOrca, 30 Apr 2015.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

So while redesigning my fantasy aquarium, I was fixing up my Prehistoric Seas area and got some fun ideas. And it inspired me to make a little challenge...

Lots of zoos have areas that are more like traditional museums and have stuff that guests can interact with, and there are only a few live animals on display. So I wanna see if you guys would try to design an area that has five or fewer animals, and have some stuff (like displays or models) that guests can interact with. An example might be a deep sea exhibit, where there are only a handful of deep sea creatures that can be kept in captivity. So you get what animals you can and then create some other stuff to educate guests about deep sea creatures. Maybe some kind of video game type thing where guests explore the deep sea, or a dark tunnel where various bioluminescent creatures of the deep light things up.

My fantasy aquarium won't be finished for a while, so I wanna just post Prehistoric Seas now. The live animals on exhibit would be from groups that have been around for a long, long time. I'm thinking a medium sized shark, perhaps a nurse shark or Caribbean reef shark. I know the coelecanth isn't really kept in captivity, but hey, this is my fantasy zoo and in my fantasy world, we've figured out a way to keep them. :) We'd need some kind of nautilus, obviously, though I don't know many species outside the Palau nautilus. A crocodilian of some sort is also necessary, I'm not too picky when it comes to this exhibit, so I'll go with the American crocodile. The horseshoe crab is the final animal in this area.

Now, the non-animal attractions? Much of it would be based around fossils. Painted walls on the corner show layers of earth and talk about how fossils get made and buried. We'd have a play dig pit where kids dig up fake fossils. During special events, the pit would be filled with plastic eggs with toy animals for kids to take home. From the ceiling would hang a skeleton of a tylosaurus or other mosasaur.

But the big part of this exhibit? A massive screen taking up a huge portion of the wall. Panels on the sides have touchscreens with different options. The large screen displays a virtual aquarium, one that holds prehistoric creatures at life size. When the guest presses the different options on the touchscreen, the "exhibit" displayed changes. (changing the exhibit would be on a timer where you have to wait one or two minutes before changing it. This would prevent little kids from just slamming the buttons and changing it before anyone has the chance to observe) The decoration and environment changes, coral reefs or beds of seagrass. The animals also change. Depending on the exhibit, the guests may see a kronosaurus, basilosaurus, megalodon, archelon, eurhinodelphis, dunkelosteus, or other prehistoric water creature swimming around in the tank, interacting with the environment and each other, or swimming right up to the "aquarium wall" and give the guests a good look and maybe a bit of a fright. If the technology allows, it would be kind of cool to program the animals to react to guest actions or movement. The touchscreen panels would double as informational screens. Maybe just for fun, some of the panels could also have little fictional stories and details like "Tyler, our tylosaurus, was found entangled in a fishing net. He couldn't be released due to his injuries, but rest assured we've given him a good home at the aquarium!". Guests would learn both about prehistoric creatures and how they relate to today, such as what the ancestors of modern aquatic animals were like.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2015
  2. zooboyabroad

zooboyabroad Well-Known Member

I absolutely love this idea.

3. Mr_Patton

Mr_Patton New Member

Your aquarium sounds like a very nice place to visit. I would be sure to do so if it were around.

As for myself, I'd focus on something relaxing - more or less a place where people could sit quietly while observing the animals. An aviary comes to mind. It would be large enough to require a few minutes to stroll through, with numerous landscaped seating areas.

The star attractions would be kookaburras, since in my experience you could easily sit there listening to them for an hour or more. Tropical and/or song birds of several species would round out the rest of the bird population.

On the ground would be careful landscaping and aquascaping resulting in serene ponds filled with water plants. Some of the ponds would be home to softshell turtles, while others would house North American painted turtles.

Elaborate signs would educate visitors about the birds, turtles and plant species. Recyclable pamphlets and some sort of interactive smart phone app would allow guests to learn even more while relaxing on a bench. Volunteers would be welcome to educate visitors in addition to their other duties. Admission would be free with a donation box, assuming that I had the funds to maintain the place if visitors weren't feeling generous.

It's not much of a zoo, but I could easily spend an hour or two every weekend in such a place.

4. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

If I ever became obscenely rich I'd totally build my fantasy aquarium.

I like your idea. It sounds relaxing.