Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Burger's Gorillas

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by vogelcommando, 11 Mar 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

By coincidence I came along a very intresting piece of zoo-history about the foundation of the Gorilla-group at Burgers.
    I found this on the net ( Traffic Rapport nr. 6, Non-human primates in the Netherlands ( 1988 ) :

gorillas obtained by burgers zoo.png
    I've now tried to find out which 7 animals came to Burgers in 1984 but was only able to get 5 names :
    - Francois - male ( 7 years on arrival ), died 4 years later and a month after his death his only offspring was born - Dian ( mother N'Diki )
    -Keke - male ( 4 years on arrival ), didn't breed at Burgers and was send to Belfast where he did produce offsprings.
    - Iris ( female ), didn't breed at Burgers and was send to Kolmarden
    - Bebe ( female ), produced at least one young ( Ruby )
    - N'Diki ( female ), produced at least 3 young ( Dian, N'Gayla and N'Kwango )

Because Francois died and Keke didn't breed a new male was introduced, an hand-raised one from Krefeld Zoo - Gorgo. 2 years after the introduction of the new male, his first offspring with female N'Diki ( N'Gayla ). Later he produced more offsprings.
    Later Gorgo was send to Leipzig ( in 2001 ) and a new 5 1/2 year old male from Apenheul - Bauwi - became the leader of Burgers gorilla-troop'
    Also some new females were introduced to the troop:
    - Nimba, an hand-raised gorilla from Barcelona which produced at least one young sofar ( Nakouh - 2010.
    - Makoua, also hand-raised but I wasn't able to find out were she came from.
    Untill 2013 a total of 14 young have been born at Arnhem.

In this overview still a lot of white spots and if any ZooChatter can fill these up, I would be very pleased, for example the names of the other 2 females which came from the wild, the birth-place of Makoua, a list of all young born untill 2013 and a list of all the young born after 2013, the status of all 6 remaining wild-caught animals ( are they still all alive ? ), and so on....

Attached Files:

PicanBird likes this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. vogelcommando

Thanks a lot lintworm but the answers are not in the Studbook :(. Most of the animals listed for Burgers are born there ( + Nimba and Bauwi ). Not a single animal from the wild anymore.
    In the Studbook I only found 2 of the original Cameroon-animals still alive ( in 2007 )
    - Iris at Kolmarden
    - Bebe at Leipzig
    Still a lot missing info about the wild-caught animals so any other ZooChatter with information ?

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Jim Davis unofficial studbook( Gorillas Galore) lists the two other wildborn females from that import, but strangely, not the three mentioned above as well, only the males Francois and Keke.

The other two listed are Laika and Sophie, which according to those lists, died in 2005 and 2003 respectively, both at Burgers Zoo. Both had offspring.

5. vogelcommando

Thank you very much for this info Pertinax, very helpfull !

Pertinax likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

Jungle Man likes this.