Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Burgers' Zoo 2019

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by lintworm, 1 Jan 2019.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Burgers' Zoo has announced they received 1.108.797 visitors in 2018. This is about 50.000 less than in 2017, when the Mangrove was opened, but still 60.000-80.000 visitors more than in 2015 and 2016.

Burgers' Zoo boekt succes in Nederland en Belize

kiang and snowleopard like this.
  2. Haasje

Haasje Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some new species will be added for public viewing in the coming days/weeks

1.1 Striped Basilisk( gestreepte basilisk) in the Mangrove

2.2 Blue-crowned hanging parrot ( blauwkroontjes) in the Bush

And a big perch (blauwgele reuzenbaars (don't know English name)) in the Ocean's shark tank

3. lintworm

As the animal apparently came from Leipzig it will be Epinephelus flavocaeruleus

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

May I ask if there’s any public source to this? Out of curiousity as those sound like beautiful additions to the zoo and I am not sure if it’s true or not as I can’t find any information on the fish or the parrots by the zoo themselves. The basilisks I do know are present. Sorry if this is seen as a “brutal” question or anything along those lines, just very curious as I am not sure if I need to take this with a grain of salt or not.

5. korhoen

korhoen Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can confirm this is true, as this news was posted by the educational department of the zoo on a closed-off forum for Burgers' Zoo volunteers.

I would like to advice to be a bit more careful with what information from there can or can not be posted on here. I think things that can already be seen by anyone (for example the basilisks) or things that the zoo itself has made public for example through Fb can be posted on here without a problem. However I think things that are posted on that forum that the zoo has not officially announced are better not posted on here, as there might be a reason why the zoo would not want to announce such news already.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

True, I honestly have not read anything on the parrots?

7. Haasje

When the zoo doesn't want the information given on there to be announced they always put that within the post. And then, of course, I would not post it. Otherwise, I regard information their a shareable to the public.

lintworm likes this.
  8. lintworm

According to a local news article the Japanese wobbegong from Leipzig also came to Burgers'.

Ursus and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In a Dutch article by the Gelderlander ( Cookies op gelderlander.nl | gelderlander.nl )

They say Ton (a Dutch zoo transport driver) had a job to transport ''Twee kuipen met elk 500 liter water, met daarin een grote baars en een tapijthaai. Van de dierentuin in Leipzig bracht ik ze naar Arnhem.'' (Two tanks with 500 liters water each with inside a large bass and a wobbegong. From the zoo in Leipzig I brought them to Arnhem) - sorry for my (probably) horrible translation to English.
    So there is indeed a species of bass or something along those lines new besides the Japanese wobbegong behind the scenes at Burger's Ocean.

KevinB likes this.
  10. Haasje

11. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news. Let's cross our fingers for a succesfull birth.

12. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That is good news indeed - new manatees are rather welcome in European zoos. And now the manatees have a good new exhibit in Burgers' Zoo's Mangrove, it would be awesome to see them with a baby too. Hopefully everything goes well.

Ursus and FunkyGibbon like this.
  13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Big news this! IT has been a long time coming (but I know change is gonna come!)!!!!

How much room in the exhibit for how many manatee at Burger's?

14. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't have any information on for how many manatees the new manatee pool was designed and constructed, but mind you, at some point they did in fact have four manatees in the much smaller pool in the Bush, so I'd say the Mangrove manatee pool probably would hold at least four or five manatees.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Yes, I am familiar with the set up in the old Tropical Hall, just that area was pretty crammed and hemmed in for 4 individuals.

I am not unsure why at some point breeding in the old exhibit came to an abrupt hold and whether space and / or compatability issues came into play (along with old(er) perhaps less reproductive individuals).

So, I am really happy that in this new imaginative exhibit they have managed a new breeding result so quickly. This really bodes well for the future.

16. lintworm

Breeding in the Bush stopped because the breeding pair was a brother - sister pair from Nuremberg. The male moved to Singapore in 1998. And the male from Amsterdam never managed to breed.

The new pool should be able to hold at least 1.2 with offspring...

17. Kifaru Bwana

That is really my thinking and why I asked.

It might well be that before long there might be another addition in order to meet that 1.2+ offspring goal. I assume they will however first would like to see how the first birth in the new pool will move forward.

18. lintworm

Some small bits of news from today's visit:

- There are at least 1-2 new Yellow grosbeak in the Desert so it appears last year's breeding attempt was successful.

- The large guitarfish in the open ocean tank has been bitten by one of the sharks, so is currently recovering behind the scenes.

- Signage in the Bush has been updated, relevant updates will be in the specific thread.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. lintworm

The two Japanese wobbegongs that Burgers' Zoo received from Leipzig last year have been introduced in the Lagune tank. At the moment they are still confined to the beach right next to the entrance.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

They are kept there with the guitarfish as those also need feeding from the beach.
    The two individuals are most often found right now hiding between the fencing and the big rock. But they are extremely cute to watch!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.