Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Burgers' Zoo 2021

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by JurassicMax, 26 Jan 2021.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Burgers zoo has just revealed that they no longer keep capybara's in the Bush and will not keep them any longer, apparently they are currently looking into what species could replace them.

Source: (After being asked if they still have capybara's)
    Scource.png

Last edited: 20 Apr 2021
    StoppableSan likes this.
  2. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

It is sad to see one of my favourite species to lave the zoo (atleast it is a very commen zoo species). But I somewhat understand it. The enclosure was in my opinion never that well suited for them( way to little land)

In my opinion, not many animals fit bot the space snd the tropical enviroment, and don't endanger te other animals, living with it. Maybey are nutrias a good fit.?

3. Mr Gharial

This is exactly what I said, but nutrias are illegal to keep in zoos in the Netherlands, as they're an invasive species

4. Haasje

Haasje Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is indeed sad to lose one of the few mammal species in the Bush. Although I must agree the land/water ratio of the enclosure was never suited. I hope that they will bring in a new larger (mammal) species for both the capybara and former manatee enclosure.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wasn't it possible to extent the land part and so keep the capybaras? Or for what else must the pool/pond stay in its size?

6. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

In my opinion the space would be perfect for a pair of agouti and tamandua. Mostly cause redecorating the enclosure could really change the way the animals use it, and still south american (and therefor fitting the idea of the whole river being south american.

The main issue they had with the capybara were the lack of greenery for grazing. And changing the enclosure would mean: draining the river, (temp)re-homing the fish in there, etc. Quite an expensive project. While the current landmass could be suitable for a pair of agouti or paca, but they'd have to remove the sand (partially) and make some greenery.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Mr Gharial

I don't think tamandua would be a great choice, unless they plan on making a climbing structure above the water. It would have to be made in a way that they can't get out. (Of course, they'd be fine as free-roamers, but then they wouldn't be in the enclosure).

Agoutis would be fitting enough, though they aren't exactly water dwellers

8. GiratinaIsGod

They are not exactly illegal to keep in dutch zoos. Right now 9 institutions, including the Artis in Amsterdam keeps them. They have the smae status in the EU as Coatis, which are kept in Arnhem aswell.

9. GiratinaIsGod

I still thing the land area is suited (it is quite smal and you can see them not very well) for animals like agoutis. I don' think they will build compleatly new climbing sructures for animals like Tamandua. Even though Sloths would fit a new climbing structure quite well

Last edited: 21 Apr 2021
  10. GiratinaIsGod

What about some kind of tortoise ?

11. Mr Gharial

There is already a red footed tortoise enclosure near the Caiman pond

12. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

None of these are allowed to breed however. And in the future no zoo is allowed to keep them.

13. GiratinaIsGod

well there is more then 1 species of tortoise in the world, and not many other species can realy be kept in this cursedl ittle beach

14. GiratinaIsGod

There is allways a supply of nutiras from the wild. They could easly be nutered and be keept in collactions, instead of being euthanized.A similar thing is done with raccons allready.

15. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, no.
    These in the wild are easy carriers for diseases and other bad things that zoos do not want.

16. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe they can increase the land part and hide the fence as fallen tree trunks? Or move the otters there?

17. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the USA nutria rodents are a nusiance species and are not controlled by wild alligators.

18. GiratinaIsGod

You can't realy do that, not only is it quite expensive, but this area is allready the habitat of fish and turtles. Not only would the shortclawed otters not benefit (they are quite a terrestical species) but they would kill the other animals that live there

19. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

I think we can all concluded that it is just a matter of patience. I am sure the zoo can come up with an awesome species :)

Dustin1999 and JurassicMax like this.
  20. GreatApeFan7

GreatApeFan7 Active Member

A new breeding male is expected to be added to the chimpanzee colony, coming from a Spanish zoo.